Jump to content






Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic


WfpTen

Tree sap on awning

Recommended Posts

WfpTen

Anybody have experience removing tree sap from awnings? My problem is specifically palm tree sap. I've used a degreaser but it hasn't completely removed all the stains. Any advice or suggestions. 20181004_174312.jpeg20181004_174314.jpeg20181004_174325.jpeg

 

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer

Are you trying to p!ss us off posting pictures like this 😀 8 degrees and raining here 😥 I think @tench0771and @Pjjhave some experience of cleaning awnings. Where they are based it's probably seagull :1f4a9:rather than tree sap though

Share this post


Link to post
tench0771

i find awnings are best to tfr them let it soak in then wfp them with piping how water with a flocked brush some need a more agresseve clean in this case ill take the awning home and pressure wash it if its canvis and realy dirty a biocide will keep it cleaner for longer and kill the organic growth so price accordingly 

Share this post


Link to post

Advertisement


 
Pjj
4 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Are you trying to p!ss us off posting pictures like this 😀 8 degrees and raining here 😥 I think @tench0771and @Pjjhave some experience of cleaning awnings. Where they are based it's probably seagull :1f4a9:rather than tree sap though

 

 

We do one for a large hotel on the coast it’s made like ships sails does look quite stunning I didn’t take any pictures of it unfortunately but when Ime passing will try and take some if I remember , and surprisingly it’s green as grass every spring we softwash it as you cannot get any pressure with wfp on it comes up like new , yes @Part Timer gets lots of seagull 💩💩💩💩💩💩as well😂😂😂😂, and some tree sap as the hotel does have large trees overhanging the entrance way 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
8 hours ago, WfpTen said:

 

Anybody have experience removing tree sap from awnings? My problem is specifically palm tree sap. I've used a degreaser but it hasn't completely removed all the stains. Any advice or suggestions. 20181004_174312.jpeg20181004_174314.jpeg20181004_174325.jpeg

 

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes you need to softwash it it will come up like new , I always used to say no to jobs like this untill I was introduced to softwashing as I did a few and wasn’t happy with the results ,a degreasing chemical will not work on things like this you need to kill the algy , mould and mildew this is what tree sap turns into when it sticks to an awning hope this helps 

Share this post


Link to post
WfpTen

I've been window cleaning for myself about 2 months. I bought the round and the guy who had it before did awnings as an add-on and I've sort of inherited it. So far they have been pretty straight forward, until now. So please excuse my ignorance but "softwash"? As far as I could see there is no mould or algy. It's just a black gunge. I'm far from an expert so I'm not arguing with you just explaining what I perceive. I really do appreciate your help with this@Pjj
@tench0771 unfortunately I'm not set up for hot wfp (glass is already pretty hot [emoji16]) and taking the awning is not feasible.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
2 minutes ago, WfpTen said:

I've been window cleaning for myself about 2 months. I bought the round and the guy who had it before did awnings as an add-on and I've sort of inherited it. So far they have been pretty straight forward, until now. So please excuse my ignorance but "softwash"? As far as I could see there is no mould or algy. It's just a black gunge. I'm far from an expert so I'm not arguing with you just explaining what I perceive. I really do appreciate your help with this@Pjj
@tench0771 unfortunately I'm not set up for hot wfp (glass is already pretty hot emoji16.png) and taking the awning is not feasible.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
 

 

 

The picture you have put up looks like black mould to me it’s common on awnings especially if they are wound in wet they grow mould , the best way to clean it is kill the mould by softwashing, softwashing is a sodium hypochlorite mix ( bleach) , but to be fair you do need to know what you are doing as you can harm yourself and the the product if you use to strong a mix look on YouTube there are a lot of videos on there also google it and do some reasearch and try a test patch on an area that’s not easily seen if you can 

Share this post


Link to post
WfpTen

Thanks! Really appreciate your help and advice.
I've looked at the information available about softwash as you suggested. However I don't have time to gather all I need to do it. I will be looking at gathering the necessary items for any future jobs.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
steve garwood
On 05/10/2018 at 16:27, Part Timer said:

Are you trying to p!ss us off posting pictures like this 😀 8 degrees and raining here 😥 I think @tench0771and @Pjjhave some experience of cleaning awnings. Where they are based it's probably seagull :1f4a9:rather than tree sap though

My current view @Part Timer, hope that cheers you up 😂

C1010BA3-A07F-4ED8-80A0-F26254BE6785.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
2 hours ago, steve garwood said:

My current view @Part Timer, hope that cheers you up 😂

C1010BA3-A07F-4ED8-80A0-F26254BE6785.jpeg

I'm currently stuck on a runway at Athens Airport because Corfu is shut, severe thunderstorms. Will hopefully get there in a few hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
steve garwood

Have a great holiday mate. 

After my current pne, I’m not due another for a whole 9 weeks 😩

Share this post


Link to post

Advertisement


 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.