Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Black Hands With Gardiner SLX

vito61

I use a Gardiner CLX 18 for most of my work and a Gardiner SLX 35 for the high stuff etc.  I've been thinking about going to an SLX 18 to replace the CLX.  However when using the SLX 35 I get filthy black hands which is from the pole itself.  It hasn't had anywhere near the use of the CLX18.  Am I likely to get plastered in black filth if I make the switch?

Comments appreciated

Never had an issue with black hands in over 8 years of using carbon poles and I have 3 Gardiners poles

County Durham Lad

I use a Gardiner CLX 18 for most of my work and a Gardiner SLX 35 for the high stuff etc.  I've been thinking about going to an SLX 18 to replace the CLX.  However when using the SLX 35 I get filthy black hands which is from the pole itself.  It hasn't had anywhere near the use of the CLX18.  Am I likely to get plastered in black filth if I make the switch?

Comments appreciated
I have that problem, I now clean each section with a damp cloth, it seems to stop it

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The CLX is a hybrid pole. It comprises of 2 layers, an inner layer of carbon fibre and an outer layer of fiberglass. The reason you don't have black hands with the CLX is that the top wearing surface is clear fiberglass resin. It also appears to wear less quickly.

I have both a CLX22 and an SLX22. The CLX is just starting to wear through to the black carbon in some places. The pole is 9 years old and been in service for 8 years. Its currently in retirement but is ready to use if necessary.

The SLX22 is my daily pole and do get a bit of black carbon residue on my hands from time to time. I do keep my pole clean and regularily flush it out, even when working if necessary. Each year my pole gets stripped down and sanded down with a very fine water paper. I then spray each section with 2 thin coats of Symonize clear lacquer although I found Gunk engine lacquer was better. Its 6 years old and has had a smart clamp upgrade 2 years ago. I hope to get a couple more years service from it.

Back