Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Clisty1989

What wires will be needed?

Clisty1989

A friend of mine has bagged a deal on a second hand controller and pump. Only issue is the wires have all been cut really short. What size wire will he need from controller to pump, and from battery? It's a spring controller and shurflo pump. It came with 350 tank and frame, so even if pumps knackered it's still a bargain. Any help would be great as I'm helping him install it next week, and if anyone's got a wiring diagram it would be great. Thanks in advance.

spruce
3 hours ago, Clisty1989 said:

A friend of mine has bagged a deal on a second hand controller and pump. Only issue is the wires have all been cut really short. What size wire will he need from controller to pump, and from battery? It's a spring controller and shurflo pump. It came with 350 tank and frame, so even if pumps knackered it's still a bargain. Any help would be great as I'm helping him install it next week, and if anyone's got a wiring diagram it would be great. Thanks in advance.

There should be a 'tag' on the back of the controller that will tell Spring Controllers what variant the controller is. Ian Sheppard from Spring Europe will help you out with a wiring diagram. Different controllers have additional features which have additional wiring.

ian.sheppard@springltd.co

You could ask Ian what size cable they suggest. The Varistream controller I have is fitted with a 10 amp fuse so I would fit 1.0mm thin walled automotive cable that's suitable for 16.5 amp.

I'm not on Facebook but he seems to have a presence there.

Edited by spruce

Kleenwell

Top tip, if the pump draws say 9amps, you want the cable to handle twice that minimum to overcome voltage drop.   Volt drop causes heat and is wasted energy. Wasted energy your battery has to provide. 

I use 2mm to controller and 1.5mm to pump

Advertisement

Part Timer

Only liked the above post as I didn't have a clue what @Kleenwellwas saying but 2 people who did liked it. 😅

Kleenwell

@Part Timer   You made me chuckle 

If you dont understand it fair enough.  Just a little tip to those that do their own installs.