Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can you start off with just a trad pole setup?

Joshyouare

Hi again - been scrolling through topics every day and all the information is great on here.

My current setup is: an unger 12ft trad pole. Unger 12" squeegee, Unger 14" applicator, and got a moerman excelerator liquidator coming. Then obvs, got the bucket, microfibres etc.

My question is, can I start canvassing houses without a ladder? Like can I do a decent job of a first clean with a pole?

I saw another thread on someone just targetting bungalows etc.. thought it was quite clever and might have to be something I'll look in to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will not do a good first clean with a pole....maintenance cleans are different depending on your skill level, then it also depends on types of windows and depth of sills etc.

Will not do a good first clean with a pole....maintenance cleans are different depending on your skill level, then it also depends on types of windows and depth of sills etc.
I've bought the pole very recently and am finding it quite difficult to get good results, hopefully, the moerman excelerator will help as this unger squeegee is virtually impossible to use up top (for me anyway).

If you're gonna work from ground level why not just go WFP? Targeting bungalows is a cracking idea, problem is an estate with 100 houses will probably have 5 bungalows so there will be a lot of traveling involved?

You won't get a good enough result on first cleans with a trad pole, and if you haven't got it sussed you'll leave streaks behind. Your going to need a ladder to get a good standard trad. I wouldn't bother targeting just bungalows as you severely reducing the work you can do, which will make your life a lot harder in the long run.

If you're gonna work from ground level why not just go WFP? Targeting bungalows is a cracking idea, problem is an estate with 100 houses will probably have 5 bungalows so there will be a lot of traveling involved?
Hi, yeah the travelling would be the disadvantage. And the reason for traditional at the minute is the cost, in all honestly struggling to save up for a ladder - stuff keeps coming up!

I fail to see how anyone can do a good job with a pole when the squeegee is12 feet away from you , you can't see the fly spots and other stuff that gets onto the glass. Poles (and I do have one) should only be used on a window that cannot otherwise be reached, then it would be allowable to make a second rate job, as opposed to no job at all. For example, I've done one today; a small downstairs window that has a 4ft prickly hedge in front of it, that I would lean not care to lean on (only a small extension) The other is a bungalow where the eaves prevent a ladder and it's too high to reach.

I fail to see how anyone can do a good job with a pole when the squeegee is12 feet away from you , you can't see the fly spots and other stuff that gets onto the glass. Poles (and I do have one) should only be used on a window that cannot otherwise be reached, then it would be allowable to make a second rate job, as opposed to no job at all. For example, I've done one today; a small downstairs window that has a 4ft prickly hedge in front of it, that I would lean not care to lean on (only a small extension) The other is a bungalow where the eaves prevent a ladder and it's too high to reach.
Like wfp you mean?

We can see the top windows to know they are clean

I did trad pole on tops for around 6 months when I got fed up with ladders with no problems

People like polzn bladz and wagga have no issues either and we can clean frames etc

I'm wfp now but all the same to me

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't got a water fed pole you cant really clean windows, sills and frames and do a good job of it without a ladder... even bungalow Windows unless you are really tall.

You've got to think long term, it's not easy getting good customers. First impressions is really important and if you do a rubbish job your new customers won't want you back.

If I were you I would get a cheap 

ladder from Homebase or wicks and try get small /normal size houses work to build your rounds.

Hi, yeah the travelling would be the disadvantage. And the reason for traditional at the minute is the cost, in all honestly struggling to save up for a ladder - stuff keeps coming up!
I know what you're saying mate. I have 4 kids, something always comes up. Simple fact is you can charge £15 for a 3 bed semi, a good ladder might cost you £75. 5 cleans and its paid for. If you want to make this work you need to sacrifice, borrow, anything. Think outside the box, it will be worth it. Get a credit card if you need to, as long as you pay it back within the month you won't even pay interest on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LYTE-Trade-Double-Triple-Extension-Ladders-UK-MANUFACTURE-EN131/182685467113?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D4f3fa2ac00674e8f924202b78716d3b2%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D182685467113&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

I got a set of these, cost me £85. 

I imagine there are many ladders out there not being used, i can almost bet there’s someone in your neighbourhood who’d be happy to get shot of them and have the extra space in their garage.

Quite a lot of people change careers so ex-tradesmen may have them, or maybe someone who’s getting on a bit and not too confident on them anymore. I wouldn’t be afraid to ask around. There’s no point paying top whack for a ladder when you could pick one up for next to nothing

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I imagine there are many ladders are out there not being used, i can almost bet there’s someone in your neighbourhood who’d be happy to get shot of them and have the extra space in their garage.
Quite a lot of people change careers so ex-tradesmen may have them, or maybe someone who’s getting on a bit and not too confident on them anymore. I wouldn’t be afraid to ask around. There’s no point paying top whack for a ladder when you could pick one up for next to nothing
Fair shout. I remember Green Pro saying in one of his videos that he started by borrowing some ladders from a neighbour. Go for it!

agree with the last two posts, either try and find a cheap set of ladders on gumtree/facebook .

If you cant find any locally for a cheap price, you could always gain a few customers and arrange to clean the windows while they are in (might involve working a few Saturdays mind)

Simply do the windows from the inside, say you've a snapped a run on the ladder and a new set are due for delivery etc.. Long as you do a decent job on the windows, they wont care.

Once you've made enough for decent set of ladders,buy them.

Dont use a pole especially for a first clean.

agree with the last two posts, either try and find a cheap set of ladders on gumtree/facebook .

If you cant find any locally for a cheap price, you could always gain a few customers and arrange to clean the windows while they are in (might involve working a few Saturdays mind)

Simply do the windows from the inside, say you've a snapped a run on the ladder and a new set are due for delivery etc.. Long as you do a decent job on the windows, they wont care.

Once you've made enough for decent set of ladders,buy them.

Dont use a pole especially for a first clean.
I would go one further. Go out and knock doors, get a bunch of bookings and then head to a member of your family and say ''this is all the work I have booked in but I need some ladders, can you spot me £90''... There are tons of ways of doing it. Just remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

Door knocking.. Christ i don't miss that! 

Moved to Oxfordshire from Manchester  as a 20 year old (a woman, its always a woman)

HATED DOOR KNOCKING

Get yourself a clipboard, and a logo printed tshirt... you cant go wrong! ... although a ladder is still first priority. 

Door knocking.. Christ i don't miss that! 

Moved to Oxfordshire from Manchester  as a 20 year old (a woman, its always a woman)

HATED DOOR KNOCKING

Get yourself a clipboard, and a logo printed tshirt... you cant go wrong! ... although a ladder is still first priority. 
I moved from St Helens to Gloucestershire 18 years ago.... Not for a woman oddly enough haha.

In all honesty I haven't knocked a massive amount of doors. I find the customers I got from canvassing to be time wasters primarily. The difference was I spent half of our life savings on building a professional company, I had the van sign written, Uniform, full WFP kit.... Even some ladders ? If this lad can't afford a set of ladders he may have no other choice. I reckon rocking up to your mam and dad to ask for £100 would be much easier with a list of work booked in though.

I’m thinking I should go with the wfp and backpack from my car, there’s a spotless water supply near me for 3p per litre, you reckon that’s the best route mate
I would dude, its probably the cheapest and easiest way to get started. Get a few customers and sink the money back into more kit to purify your own water after that!

Latest Posts

Back