Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

SkyVac Atom - is it too good to be true?

MC33

So, after reading quite a lot of posts on the forum, and being reasonably uneducated in gutter cleaning lingo, I can say now that I am thoroughly confused about the SkyVac Atom.

The reason being...

Many people here use the SkyVac Industrial and for over £2000 is out of my current price range for starting up a bit of work cleaning out gutters.

Having seen the SkyVac Atom at the much more easily palatable price of £500, I've thought "why don't people use this?"

Can the Atom do a good job if it's being used 99% of the time on bungalows and 2story houses?

Is the airflow of 3800 litres a minute insufficient for this kind of work?

I'm hoping to get 5-6 jobs booked in for early next year, and then use these to fund the vac.

Then, I'll put a % of profits from future gutter jobs to fund a better more hardworking gutter vac at some point if needed.

Is the atom up to the task at hand? 

Personally I would buy a cheaper 3000+w wet and dry vac and buy a side entry from Spinaclean and adapt it. You will then have a more powerful vac for less money. Sky Vac Industrial are very good but you really need to be doing £10k, minimum, a year of gutter clearing to justify the outlay.

Just seen you're from monkey hanging country, played rugby at West Hartlepool many moons ago. Probably before you were born ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is, i really can’t knock it, it’s performace justifies it’s price. So value for money is there. we’ve had ours 4 years. Great for standard jobs but i’m not gonna lie it will struggle with thick muddy carpets and grass tufts. I’ve come across 5 or 6 jobs where i know it won’t stand a chance. The filter needs regular cleaning and drying for maximum effect, as a wet filter reduces the air flow. and all the tubes need flushing with hot water regularly as they block quickly especially on muddy jobs.
It’s really light too you can lift it by the handle with a single finger.
I am looking at getting the industrial, but will definitely keep this great bit of kit and will always hold it in high regard. Will always be handy for when i don’t want to/can’t maneuver a heavier vac. I also have pro gutter tools since yesterday, they’re a good buy [emoji106] the more tools you have in your arsenal the more effective your service will be

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

So, after reading quite a lot of posts on the forum, and being reasonably uneducated in gutter cleaning lingo, I can say now that I am thoroughly confused about the SkyVac Atom.

The reason being...

Many people here use the SkyVac Industrial and for over £2000 is out of my current price range for starting up a bit of work cleaning out gutters.

Having seen the SkyVac Atom at the much more easily palatable price of £500, I've thought "why don't people use this?"

Can the Atom do a good job if it's being used 99% of the time on bungalows and 2story houses?

Is the airflow of 3800 litres a minute insufficient for this kind of work?

I'm hoping to get 5-6 jobs booked in for early next year, and then use these to fund the vac.

Then, I'll put a % of profits from future gutter jobs to fund a better more hardworking gutter vac at some point if needed.

Is the atom up to the task at hand? 

I have no experience with the skyvac atom , but it’s not all about power only some of it is Technics with how you use the vac but oviously power helps , I was like you when I started it’s a big learning curve I started small and learned as I went now we do some huge buildings some up to 60 feet high , Ime sure the atom will be ok for most stuff once you have earnt a bit of money reinvest it into better kit and sell the old look at it that you are being paid to learn , some jobs will be a pain some easy you will soon be able to identify each , just ask on hear there are several that are veterans with this type of work , best advice I can give you is charge well always allow for the unexpected then if you finish it early you are quids in 

Thanks for the comments pjj, Incheck, part timer.

I've decided that I'll start on some bungalow work.

That way as I learn the ropes if I run into problems I can easily use a small set of ladders to climb and do the work easily, rather than high stuff that'll be more of a bind.

I'll get the regular kit rather than part timers suggestion. Always better from past experience to buy equipment suitable and designed for the job rather than diy.

Also, does anyone know of a recommendable gutter vac that is similar in price? 

This is the one thing that surprises me about the atom, it's made by a highly reputable company and yet the price seems lower than aanything else I've seen.

You wouldn’t regret it if you bought it, as a starter vac it ticks all the boxes. We’ve used it on hundreds of jobs. The only reason i haven’t already upgraded to the industrial is because a lot of the thick muddy stuff the atom won’t handle i’ve always been able to dig out by hand or with rods.

What i will say is i don’t have to worry too much about ladder work as my brother is always at the bottom of it.

If i was on my own i would be much more inclined to use a vac and cut out the ladder as much as possible.

Also anything you can’t get to by hand (e.g. big blocks of flats) do you really want to be taking it on? Say you knock something loose or detach a joint while vaccing, if you have no access to a cherry picker or a ladder big enough to reach up there to resolve it, it would leave you in a bit of a predicament. We have knocked one or two end caps off pvc guttering before when being heavy handed. Make sure not to do this as sometimes it’s great difficulty getting up there to put them back on.

If you market towards your standard semis & average detached houses etc, (nothing too high) then you should pick up a certain amount of work without getting out of your depth.

Stay away from victorian terraces as much as you can as they can get really awkward

The only problem I have with the Vac is plugging it in. I would rather use my own power than use the customer's but that means carrying a geny around with me. Dropping the turf on the patio or path is not very professional. If one had a wheelie bin (like me) then you could drop it in there. :1f609:

The only problem I have with the Vac is plugging it in. I would rather use my own power than use the customer's but that means carrying a geny around with me. Dropping the turf on the patio or path is not very professional. If one had a wheelie bin (like me) then you could drop it in there. :1f609:

I quite agree we try and drop it on a flower bed or the lawn far easier to clean it up after , might be worth trying to drop it into a rectangular window cleaning bucket ?. Nothing to clean up then 

I quite agree we try and drop it on a flower bed or the lawn far easier to clean it up after , might be worth trying to drop it into a rectangular window cleaning bucket ?. Nothing to clean up then 

Yes the grass is a good place. If its a Patio, Path or decking then may I suggest we lay down a plastic sheet to drop it. Looks like you are trying to preserve the customer's domain. We must leave the area in the same state or cleaner!

I think as a starter vac for bungalows and 2 storey homes the Atom would be a great vacuum to kick you off. It's very light and easy to empty. I would definitely buy a 2nd filter if I was using it daily as a wet filter decreases power. Yes, you will come up against jobs that the Atom will struggle with but I sometimes have that with the Skyvac Industrial when tufts are stuck under lead work in corners or overhanging ridge tiles at roof corners. Ladders come off because sometimes it's the only option.

I'll get the regular kit rather than part timers suggestion. Always better from past experience to buy equipment suitable and designed for the job rather than diy.
I am the most hopeless DIY person you will ever meet. 99.99% of everything I buy is ready made so if I say it's easy to do then it's something a 10 year old with basic tools can do. At the end of the day all I've suggested you do is cut a hole, slightly bigger than the one supplied,, and then tighten 4 nuts and bolts. 

If you're happy to climb a ladder then forget buying a gutter vac just buy a Harris pole and some Pro Gutter Tools. This will do any first floor gutters better and quicker than any Gutter Vac. Advice from someone that's just spent £3+k on a gutter vac 

I am the most hopeless DIY person you will ever meet. 99.99% of everything I buy is ready made so if I say it's easy to do then it's something a 10 year old with basic tools can do. At the end of the day all I've suggested you do is cut a hole, slightly bigger than the one supplied,, and then tighten 4 nuts and bolts. 
If you're happy to climb a ladder then forget buying a gutter vac just buy a Harris pole and some Pro Gutter Tools. This will do any first floor gutters better and quicker than any Gutter Vac. Advice from someone that's just spent £3+k on a gutter vac 
Aye especially if it’s an atom. the casing is plastic so you could literally get your drill out, stick a hole saw through it & voila.
(Not that i’ve bothered mind)
Stainless steel may be a bit tougher to get through

Just purchased the atom myself have a few jobs later in week and honestly stay a million miles away from the max blast have had two in last month complete **** and the second one is more or less live with current running through the base boxing it up Monday full refund rubbish machine

I have the industrial skyvac and its a great piece of kit. I think you would be ok with the atom if you are doing small domestic work.  

I’ve had the vac for 3 years and 1 month. Still going ok. And I share it with a mate so it’s ha double the usage in that time. Only thing that broke was the handle about two years ago. Think it has lost a bit power maybe, we’ll probably sell it for £150 next year, I’m thinking of a slightly bigger & powerful one. 

Amazing value for money. We paid £320 each new for it (half each) with extra 2 poles. The profits margins have been crazy!! Can’t argue at all.

It’s fine for houses, if you’re doing large commercial jobs & blocks of flats, you may find it a bit too small & lightweight.

There a SkyVac Industrial on Ebay at the moment and the old carbon poles for offers around 750. Vac looks in ok condition

I’ve had the vac for 3 years and 1 month. Still going ok. And I share it with a mate so it’s ha double the usage in that time. Only thing that broke was the handle about two years ago. Think it has lost a bit power maybe, we’ll probably sell it for £150 next year, I’m thinking of a slightly bigger & powerful one. 

Amazing value for money. We paid £320 each new for it (half each) with extra 2 poles. The profits margins have been crazy!! Can’t argue at all.

It’s fine for houses, if you’re doing large commercial jobs & blocks of flats, you may find it a bit too small & lightweight.
Is it powerful enough to pull just your average piece of solid turf out the gutter? 

Back