Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP system & van Help needed

KGEC

Hi all 

I currently run a grounds maintenance business and contract for a number of commercial sites. Over the last few years we have been asked a number of times to take on the window cleaning for these sites. Until recently I have never been in a position to get a set up to make it worth us doing it. We are now ready to invest in a van and wfp system. 

I have been looking in to the options on the market and have come to the conclusion to make it easier for my guys to be trained we need a ready made system rather than making my own, so the system is simple. From what I have read I will need a hot water system as most the contracts will be twice a year, and I will be running a single operator so a 500l tank will be needed. 

I have seen the following companies;

ionics - very expensive, but seems to be the preferred company 

x line - looks a good bit of kit and more cost effective 

Streamline smart tank - again looks good 

I am looking for recommendations on which you would go for personally and any more information you can provide me starting out in this industry. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

Professional systems are not cheap. But if you don't mind spending money on a professional system that does the same job as a DIY system then i recommend you look at Purefreedom.

To get a decent hot water set up will cost you circa £10k, excluding the van. If you're going to spend that type of money I would get a 650l 2 man system as it won't cost that much more. I'll assume as you run a grounds maintenance company you'll have the room to purify your water in a building rather than have a van mounted system. Sorry to be boring but you'll need to first find out if you're in a  hard or soft water area.

I have a Purefreedom 2 man Hot Water System, for 8 years, with van mounted R/O and booster pump and can't fault their engineering. Wouldn't buy any filters etc from them though 

Hi all 

I currently run a grounds maintenance business and contract for a number of commercial sites. Over the last few years we have been asked a number of times to take on the window cleaning for these sites. Until recently I have never been in a position to get a set up to make it worth us doing it. We are now ready to invest in a van and wfp system. 

I have been looking in to the options on the market and have come to the conclusion to make it easier for my guys to be trained we need a ready made system rather than making my own, so the system is simple. From what I have read I will need a hot water system as most the contracts will be twice a year, and I will be running a single operator so a 500l tank will be needed. 

I have seen the following companies;

ionics - very expensive, but seems to be the preferred company 

x line - looks a good bit of kit and more cost effective 

Streamline smart tank - again looks good 

I am looking for recommendations on which you would go for personally and any more information you can provide me starting out in this industry. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 
@GrippaTANK are up there with Ionics for quality, but always premium price! If I had a open(ish) cheque book, it would be GrippaTank Or Ionics no problem. 

Also how will you be getting the pure water? Making it on board with a inbuilt R.O system in the van? 

Or a storage tank & separate R.O somewhere else?

Or buying the pure water at a filling station somewhere near by? 

Hi guys

thanks for the information so far it’s been useful. None of the information is boring it’s very interesting to me as I want to do this and get it right. 

My thoughts where to be produce the water on the van so I could park it out the way and to start with take up as little room as possible with a static. With a van it can be moved to suit my needs. Currently working from 2400sq foot and I’d say we have enough space for a 12ft van and a half.

i would need RO systems due to hard water and will take on board about getting a two man system. 

Looking to spend £25,000 and put it on finance hence why I want to get the most out of my money. With that budget what would you look at? 

I'll throw window cleaning warehouse/facelift In the mix, they do a van and system finance package, an you can tailor system to your needs. Give them a bell an they'll give you a quote, I've heard good things about they're systems, but as I'm still in a car using backpack and barrels ive not go any first hand experience.

Just remembered, the cleaning warehouse also do water genie system & van packages as well.

Not sure on prices but might be bit cheaper than grippatank/ionics/xline/pure freedom.

The only thing with a van mount is it's more expensive and harder to service. With a static it could well be cheaper to heat the water in the tank before transferring it. You would then be looking at a hot water option costing you a few hundred quid rather than £5k. Sure there are some far more technical guys on here that could tell you more.

As for van well that's a personal choice, I prefer the Vivaro and others the Transit. A decent 2 year old van with an all singing and dancing van mount will cost you circa £25k. I'll assume you're VAT registered so it would cost you circa £20k. A brand new van with a static and delivery only system would cost you roughly the same. 

The only thing with a van mount is it's more expensive and harder to service. With a static it could well be cheaper to heat the water in the tank before transferring it. You would then be looking at a hot water option costing you a few hundred quid rather than £5k. Sure there are some far more technical guys on here that could tell you more.

As for van well that's a personal choice, I prefer the Vivaro and others the Transit. A decent 2 year old van with an all singing and dancing van mount will cost you circa £25k. I'll assume you're VAT registered so it would cost you circa £20k. A brand new van with a static and delivery only system would cost you roughly the same. 
I presume if I went for the top end static for example a ionic zero system, and chose a cheaper delivery system that would be ok or would it be best to use the same brands. Yeah I am VAT registered. Not sure how much the zero statics are but l will look in to this as an option it’s one I had written off but given the servicing etc it would seem that it would make sense. 

No knowledge whatsoever of the Ionic Zero System. What I would say though is purifying water isn't as hard as you might think, so again personally, I wouldn't go after an all singing and dancing static. Personally I would spend the money on good equipment inside the van, quality poles, electric reels etc. Hope I'm not making your head spin. 

No knowledge whatsoever of the Ionic Zero System. What I would say though is purifying water isn't as hard as you might think, so again personally, I wouldn't go after an all singing and dancing static. Personally I would spend the money on good equipment inside the van, quality poles, electric reels etc. Hope I'm not making your head spin. 
So in short (correct me if I am wrong) 

mid range static system to produce the water, and then spend some money on a good delivery system, reels,’poles etc 

So in short (correct me if I am wrong) 

mid range static system to produce the water, and then spend some money on a good delivery system, reels,’poles etc 
All I can say is what I would personally do but in my opinion you won't save time, therefore money, buying an expensive filtration system. You will however save time giving your staff good light poles and electric reels. 

All I can say is what I would personally do but in my opinion you won't save time, therefore money, buying an expensive filtration system. You will however save time giving your staff good light poles and electric reels. 
Great advice. Certainly will take that one on board. More than likely be out myself to start to train the lads... easier the better for me!

I presume if I went for the top end static for example a ionic zero system, and chose a cheaper delivery system that would be ok or would it be best to use the same brands. Yeah I am VAT registered. Not sure how much the zero statics are but l will look in to this as an option it’s one I had written off but given the servicing etc it would seem that it would make sense. 
The same quality and amount of water will pass through a standard tap as with a gold plated one.

Nuclear resin - the cost will blow your budget and wallet apart I heard someone say.

Back