Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spare parts for employees?

Mabozzer

What must have spares do you carry for employees? It's been a while since I have had someone working with me and I'm trying to think about what they will break! 

Previously it was the Y connector at the brush head which are now the jg connections so that should be fine, pole tap - I've got a new Univalve to fit so OK there, rectus 21 couplings - I've got a bunch of foam balls to fit which might  help, I've got spare shur flo pump elbows just incase they pull the reel out to far. 

Apart from the pole everything they'll be using is new but just wanted to see what the common breakages are. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep an old pole and some brushes around at home. Doesn't have to be awesome quality but makes sure work doesn't stop completely when something breaks.

Also some hose clamps, Vulcan tape, a few cable ties, spare piece of hose and some tools is good to have in the van for a quick emergency repair.

We carry a toolbox full of spares ezy snap males/femails , 1/2 hose fittings , spare jet hose , spare John guest fittings in everything we use , loads of two ear clamps for both microbore and pole hose , spare quick lock fittings angle  adapters evan carry a spare 18 foot  slx pole , clamp levers , spare brush , hose joiners , in fact everything that could go wrong or brake , we do some work 200 miles away from home so have to be prepared for any issues not being able to finish a job isn’t an option 

... and a spare fuse for the controller.

TBH we haven't had to do any on the job running repairs for a few years now @Mabozzer. In this weather I usually give the poles a flush out as part of a 'regular' maintenance routine at home but I also do it out on the job when required.

If your new assistant is getting a new pole, then I would show him how to adjust clamps when necessary to avoid premature wear.

I would also agree with @Pjj regarding a couple of different brushes. My choice would be a sill brush, a stiff brush, a soft/medium mix brush and a flocked brush. He needs to be instructed when to use each brush.

I believe treating equipment with respect is an important part of our daily working routine as this helps to reduce breakdowns/failures on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I've got everything covered, I've got a carbon neck and leavers in the garage which I hadn't thought about ? so I'll chuck them in the van and dig out a boab and spare sqeegee just incase. And a small ladder for the gates incase their a shortarse. 

I'll maybe label the ply racking for them keep it more organised! 

Any other suggestions? 

That's why I like working near my lock-up. If I forget anything then I can nip back and get it. Best thing is to make sure your van is alarmed and secure, then you can keep everything in it and you don't need to worry about forgetting anything.

Spare van.

Tool box with 

set of screwdrivers 

pliers

adjustable spanner

mole grips( are they really called that?)

stanley

ptfe

duct tape

various connectors

a selection of broken bits that nobody has thrown away.

good to have various angle adaptors too

Got all that and the broken parts, burnt fuses etc. 

There should be someone starting tomorrow but I've got a bad feeling that it'll be a no show, so I might have to troll back through close to 90 applicants with no window cleaning experience.  

Tumble weed, that's the response from the new guy. Rubber eared me! After waiting nearly two weeks for him to start he just throws me a deafy! 

Where’d you find him? We use ‘indeed ‘.
It's on different places, but I've noticed there's a couple of big companies on indeed so if he's away to one of them he could have said I've changed my mind. I must have had about 120 applications now but only a couple with experience. Experience doesn't mean they are right for the job but it would make life easier as some folks cv's show they've been doing nowt for 10-20 years!

It's on different places, but I've noticed there's a couple of big companies on indeed so if he's away to one of them he could have said I've changed my mind. I must have had about 120 applications now but only a couple with experience. Experience doesn't mean they are right for the job but it would make life easier as some folks cv's show they've been doing nowt for 10-20 years!
May be better off with someone with no experience, that way it'll be easier to train them how you want the work done, instead of how they used to do it. It'll take longer to train them and you may go through a couple guys, but at least you know they'll do it how you want it done, and not their way.

I don't know why people send there cv 2,3 or 4 times when they don't respond to being offered a trial! Why waste your time?

Anyway I've got someone out tomorrow and all going well I've got spare parts for them!

I've been trying to find someone since last may.

Had 4-5 lads now last anything from days to a few months.

I received 10 applications in one day once and only one of them had an English name! 

Back