Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Male and female canvassing

Cameron24101368

Hello everyone

i was speaking to another window cleaner the other day who said he no longer canvases. He told me he picks up much more work when his misses does it. They done a days canvassing each both used the same technique and his misses picked up a lot more work than he did. 

Its got me thinking about trying it to. Have anyone tried this and noticed better results with a lady. Thanks everyone for your input. 

I know there’s a couple of husband & wife teams round here who do very well. I guess people always prefer a lady knocking on the door as people generally stereotype the male tradesman. With all this no cold calling business and security systems everywhere it’s a different world now. They sit behind the curtains peering at you through one of these “ring” doorbell or secuirty camera things and sometimes speak to you through a speaker and won’t come to speak to you in person so i prefer to advertise for work to be honest. 

I know there’s a couple of husband & wife teams round here who do very well. I guess people always prefer a lady knocking on the door as people generally stereotype the male tradesman. With all this no cold calling business and security systems everywhere it’s a different world now. They sit behind the curtains peering at you through one of these “ring” doorbell or secuirty camera things and sometimes speak to you through a speaker and won’t come to speak to you in person so i prefer to advertise for work to be honest. 
You're obsessed with these ring doorbells, you were moaning about them a year back I swear ? Do you know there is a massive black market for people stealing them and flogging them on because they can't be traced... Oh the irony.

I agree on the old no cold calling front, had a lad out delivering leaflets for me today. I joined him at the end of the day. We delivered 1k and I would say over half had no cold calling signs. What was more shocking is the amount of doors that have suddenly put 3,4 or even more signs up to this effect. Literally felt like I was entering area 51 with one of them.

You're obsessed with these ring doorbells, you were moaning about them a year back I swear ? Do you know there is a massive black market for people stealing them and flogging them on because they can't be traced... Oh the irony.

I agree on the old no cold calling front, had a lad out delivering leaflets for me today. I joined him at the end of the day. We delivered 1k and I would say over half had no cold calling signs. What was more shocking is the amount of doors that have suddenly put 3,4 or even more signs up to this effect. Literally felt like I was entering area 51 with one of them.
Area 51 you’re not far wrong there! On the subject there’s been a tv series advertised called project blue book, check it out, looks like it’s gonna be a winner ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself never answer the door. If friends are coming round or someone with appointment I already know. Anyone else, aint got time. if I want to buy something etc I'll sort it as and when. When i used to answer the door, some callers that really angered me were those what they called nottingham knockers. Said they were released from prison (I can believe that) and were trying to get on and selling these tacky dishwashing cloths etc at inflated prices. When you say no they often get all shirty, one said to me once something like ' I hope someone helps you out when you need help then' Little ****, felt like nutting him. fact was I was on the dole myself at the time. Big problem now and then with them, often ripping off old people. So, yeh, let the door ring, Im not home. (Also a habit I developed from not getting a tv license for years) ?

can see how female door knocking is going be way more affective.   when ever i have tried speaking to someone thay always straight away look  paniced or worried. I can tell there not even really taking in what im saying, all there doing is looking around the street and over my shoulder to see if im alone, looking to see whats in my hands,  who is this person and are they a threat, is this a scammer.  people arnt really paying any attension in these moments to anything other than that.  i dont blame them, scams are everywhere these days.  but it makes door knocking really difficult. this is why i gave alot of thought to putting my name and adress in the leaflets. thought it might help alittle in breaking down the stranger from god knows where feeling. If thay have a full name and adress even thow it could all be fake, least its something for them to go on. I know i don't like trades companies if there websites dont have some personal information on them, photos of the staff, there names. stuff like that. adds that have none of this just make me think what are thay trying hide.  you can get a real feel for people just from there photo alone, weather there someone whos alrite or someone thats a thift or a con in someway. im thinking of asking a woman i know if she will go cavessing with me.  both men and woman are just inherently wary of lone males. the presants of a woman being with a man for some reason lowers the perceived threat of the man. even noticed this when just out and about.  people always far more relaxed and happy to engage when im with a woman. its really annoying but its just how it is. must be the hang over from the cave man days lol.   

Latest Posts

Back