Jump to content







Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic


MikeM

Electric reels recommendations



Recommended Posts

Den
11 hours ago, dazmond said:

why would you work with 8mm hose when 6mm is just so much easier?

As when you buy the facelift compact the manual reel is preinstall with 8mm you don't get a choice.

 

my advise is anyone buying a facelift compact is too buy it with the electric reel in the first place and don't make the mistake I did as not long after having the manual I splashed out upgraded on the electric reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj

Having used both the 6 mm is so much easier to use , pull round corners , lighter , and flow rate difference  is minimal I agree with @dazmond try it you will never go back to 8 mm the only people that have to use that are ones with concept 02 gas’s systems as the flow rate from 6 mm will not trigger the boiler so Ime told 

Share this post


Link to post
Green Pro Clean Ltd

Then just use the Chinese 6lpm units off ebay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Moor

I have the stainless electric grippa reel, I did a fair bit of research and went with the grippa with a pure freedom swivel and had it mounted on top of my tank, it frees up space on the floor which is very handy.

I was put off both the power up and the pure freedom reel because of the chain drive, they can slip and it’s another thing to maintain, the grippa is chainless, so it’s one less thing to worry about, they also did a decent discount at the cleaning show last year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
1 hour ago, Moor said:

I have the stainless electric grippa reel, I did a fair bit of research and went with the grippa with a pure freedom swivel and had it mounted on top of my tank, it frees up space on the floor which is very handy.

I was put off both the power up and the pure freedom reel because of the chain drive, they can slip and it’s another thing to maintain, the grippa is chainless, so it’s one less thing to worry about, they also did a decent discount at the cleaning show last year. 

 

 

 

The Grippatank stainless is around £900 isn’t it ?. Have you had any problems with it many seam to have done ??? I don’t mind spending that amount we need two reels so best part of 2 k but Ime not prepared to spend that and have problems , I do like the look of the power up but will Waite until September to see what the new version is that they are doing .

Share this post


Link to post
Moor
7 minutes ago, Pjj said:

 

 

The Grippatank stainless is around £900 isn’t it ?. Have you had any problems with it many seam to have done ??? I don’t mind spending that amount we need two reels so best part of 2 k but Ime not prepared to spend that and have problems , I do like the look of the power up but will Waite until September to see what the new version is that they are doing .

 

No problems at all, been perfect since it was fitted.

It is around £900 depending on options, not cheap but it’s built like a tank and I’m expecting mine to last longer than me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
Posted (edited)
On 28/05/2019 at 22:22, RWCleaning said:

Literally just ordered the water works one. We’ll see how it is. 

 

 

Any update on the reel yet ?? @RWCleaning

Edited by Pjj

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

 

 

Any update on the reel yet ?? 

Hey Paul,

its sat on my dinning room chair atm. Im was waiting for a couple of bits, just got my pro26 fittings from Gardiner 

 

But annoyingly there weren’t any self tapping screws in the box, I emailed them but they didn’t reply. So went to screw fix yesterday to get some with big washer plates. 

 

But I can’t find any 2.5mm 2 core flex anywhere. It doesn’t come with a lot, I went to screw fix & tool station both don’t stock it. Then rang a local electrical supplier and they said “no mate, wouldn’t have anything like that, why on earth do you need that!?” His actual words.

 

A mate of mine today said I can use 3 core cable, I didn’t know that but makes sense so will probably do that.

 

long story short- fitting it Saturday 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
1 hour ago, RWCleaning said:

Hey Paul,

its sat on my dinning room chair atm. Im was waiting for a couple of bits, just got my pro26 fittings from Gardiner 

 

But annoyingly there weren’t any self tapping screws in the box, I emailed them but they didn’t reply. So went to screw fix yesterday to get some with big washer plates. 

 

But I can’t find any 2.5mm 2 core flex anywhere. It doesn’t come with a lot, I went to screw fix & tool station both don’t stock it. Then rang a local electrical supplier and they said “no mate, wouldn’t have anything like that, why on earth do you need that!?” His actual words.

 

A mate of mine today said I can use 3 core cable, I didn’t know that but makes sense so will probably do that.

 

long story short- fitting it Saturday 😊

 

Ah ok 2.5 mm cable is common don’t understand that ?.. a friend of mine is a marine electrician so anything like that I get from him . Ime assuming the rectus 26 is to connect the supply to the reel ?? Is this what they recommend or can you use other fittings ???  . Ime seriously liking the look of theses reels and if I hear any more favourable posts about them I think I will order one and if I like it will then get a second one . Do they now come standard with the over run stop fitted ??? Let us know what you think to it when it’s up and running 👍

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning
27 minutes ago, Pjj said:

 

Ah ok 2.5 mm cable is common don’t understand that ?.. a friend of mine is a marine electrician so anything like that I get from him . Ime assuming the rectus 26 is to connect the supply to the reel ?? Is this what they recommend or can you use other fittings ???  . Ime seriously liking the look of theses reels and if I hear any more favourable posts about them I think I will order one and if I like it will then get a second one . Do they now come standard with the over run stop fitted ??? Let us know what you think to it when it’s up and running 👍

Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 

Also it’s 2.5mm 2core Flex. The flex part seems to be the difficult part. But maybe not essential 

Share this post


Link to post
AGlassAct
1 minute ago, RWCleaning said:

Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 

Also it’s 2.5mm 2core Flex. The flex part seems to be the difficult part. But maybe not essential 

Just use conduit cable, automotive cable or artic flex. Like you say 3 core is more common so anything that’s 2.5mm or MORE. If you have some industrial rust inhibitor spray I’d highly recommend spraying that on all the nuts, bolts, chain - anything really. I’ve seen some rusty looking proloc reels in my time and mine are all as shiny as the day I brought them.

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning
1 minute ago, AGlassAct said:

Just use conduit cable, automotive cable or artic flex. Like you say 3 core is more common so anything that’s 2.5mm or MORE. If you have some industrial rust inhibitor spray I’d highly recommend spraying that on all the nuts, bolts, chain - anything really. I’ve seen some rusty looking proloc reels in my time and mine are all as shiny as the day I brought them.

Ok I’ll get some of that spray thanks man! 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
7 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 

Happy to accept full responsibility for this, Pro26 fittings are great.

Share this post


Link to post
AGlassAct
High-tower
Posted (edited)

2.5mm 2 core flex is readily available on eBay. 

Id also check out the wiring join in the junction box, I had problems with a loose connection and the wiring was bit of a mess. Although mine was secondhand so might have been bodged by someone else.

Edited by High-tower

Share this post


Link to post
AGlassAct
24 minutes ago, High-tower said:

2.5mm 2 core flex is readily available on eBay. 

Id also check out the wiring join in the junction box, I had problems with a loose connection and the wiring was bit of a mess. Although mine was secondhand so might have been bodged by someone else.

That’s where I had issue’s with mine, same with someone else’s. Every one I’ve had I’ve re-wired and made sure every connection is tight and secure - even the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning

Fitted the reel yesterday. I’m pleased with it. Took ages to fit. A few fiddly bits had a mate help. But solid as a rock!

Had to take a few metres off my hose though as it was rubbing. So got about 93 metres of micro on there now. We managed to just squeeze on the micro bore onto the barb in the middle, why do the put a 8mm barb on? Surely there should be a choice 

Share this post


Link to post
Diamond geezer
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:52, Pjj said:

Someone was saying I think it was on hear that the swivel connection leaked badly we use hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , every reel I have looked at seams to have issues , I have got the red ash 460 hand wind reels now nearly 5 years old never had so much as a drip from them still working faultlessly and only cost £150 each  , I want to go electric but want to make sure that I buy the right reels the top end ones are around 1k each that’s a lot of money to then find you have made a mistake 😬😬😰😰

Hi like the idea that you don't get drip from your hand reel. iam relatively new,the swivel on my reel leaked so I bought anewun, but that still leaks a bit.ive seen other hose atacchments on peoples fixed inside reels that look somehow sturdeyer tan mine the hose fitting looks crimped,unlike my hoselock type.My reel can be used in, or out as its connected to my tank buy long hose.I haven't fitted van ports yet.can you throw any light please.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
1 hour ago, Diamond geezer said:

Hi like the idea that you don't get drip from your hand reel. iam relatively new,the swivel on my reel leaked so I bought anewun, but that still leaks a bit.ive seen other hose atacchments on peoples fixed inside reels that look somehow sturdeyer tan mine the hose fitting looks crimped,unlike my hoselock type.My reel can be used in, or out as its connected to my tank buy long hose.I haven't fitted van ports yet.can you throw any light please.

 

 

Not sure what the fitting attached to the reel is called , they came with the reels when bought new ,maybe @spruce will know , but as I said they are nearly 5 years old and never had so much as a drip from either and they get some serious use always with very hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , they have never been serviced either 

7AD32D31-F80F-4572-BB73-DEF1DA43F352.jpeg

036E28E0-F97D-43C0-B274-52D0B7C2D4D4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

 

 

Not sure what the fitting attached to the reel is called , they came with the reels when bought new ,maybe @spruce will know , but as I said they are nearly 5 years old and never had so much as a drip from either and they get some serious use always with very hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , they have never been serviced either 

7AD32D31-F80F-4572-BB73-DEF1DA43F352.jpeg

036E28E0-F97D-43C0-B274-52D0B7C2D4D4.jpeg

 

Its called a hose reel connector swivel. The Americans seem to have a number of sources for these, but the only ones that are freely available for us in the British market are these;

 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

 

Some cleaners complain about these. When I kitted my son's van out I bought 2, one as a spare. The original is about 10 years old. His reel doesn't get used every day but when it is used it doesn't leak at all.

.

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
adamangler

well the D.I.Y reel i made a few years ago for 50 quid of parts gets used everyday and works perfectly well

 

so i wouldnt spend 600-800 quid on one 

Share this post


Link to post
Diamond geezer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spruce said:

 

Its called a hose reel connector swivel. The Americans seem to have a number of sources for these, but the only ones that are freely available for us in the British market are these;

 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

 

Some cleaners complain about these. When I kitted my son's van out I bought 2, one as a spare. The original is about 10 years old. His reel doesn't get used every day but when it is used it doesn't leak at all.

.

I feel I may have spoken to you 12 or18 mths ago about this when I changed mine,because this is a dead ringer for the one I have now and changed.Alass though the new one leaks abit.As the reel I have is not permenatly fixed to the floor or whatever,when I take out the reel to use outside the attached hose sometimes seems to put a sideways forse on the swivel then   it leaks,also the hose puts a sideways force sometimes in the van making a puddle,i can mop it up no prob,arange the hose a bit better and with luck it will not leak,untillThe Next Time! Jigaling definatly not to be encouraged.What about the one on your reel pleaseThanks for your help

Edited by Diamond geezer

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

I feel I may have spoken to you 12 or18 mths ago about this when I changed mine,because this is a dead ringer for the one I have now and changed.Alass though the new one leaks abit.As the reel I have is not permenatly fixed to the floor or whatever,when I take out the reel to use outside the attached hose sometimes seems to put a sideways forse on the swivel then   it leaks,also the hose puts a sideways force sometimes in the van making a puddle,i can mop it up no prob,arange the hose a bit better and with luck it will not leak,untillThe Next Time! Jigaling definatly not to be encouraged.What about the one on your reel pleaseThanks for your help

 

The one we purchased are the ones Gardiners have on their site. In fact we purchased them from Gardiners.

 

There is another cleaner who ordered a couple of swivels directly from Sealey

https://assets.sealeyb2b.co.uk/PDFs/Parts/GH80_V2_P.PDF

 

He had to phone them and ask for the part GH80 -V2 01. They call it a valve assembly. You will need to find a way to modify it to fit your hose reel as the Sealey reel has a female thread.

ABB0655E-8952-45DE-8F1C-B681AD547286.JPG

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
chelmsclean

They are called banjo connectors I believe.

The Gardiner ones, have done me well.

Noticed one was dripping the other day so got two new ones delivered, but they have done 8 years work.

The electric reels seem to come with the fancier looking ones, I'm not sure why they should need them as the reel doesn't get turns any more than a manual reel. Just a way to justify the price i imagine

Share this post


Link to post
Diamond geezer
28 minutes ago, spruce said:

 

The one we purchased are the ones Gardiners have on their site. In fact we purchased them from Gardiners.

 

There is another cleaner who ordered a couple of swivels directly from Sealey

https://assets.sealeyb2b.co.uk/PDFs/Parts/GH80_V2_P.PDF

 

He had to phone them and ask for the part GH80 -V2 01. They call it a valve assembly. You will need to find a way to modify it to fit your hose reel as the Sealey reel has a female thread.

ABB0655E-8952-45DE-8F1C-B681AD547286.JPG

Ibelive I orderd mine from gardiner also.Do you think the one pictured above would leak less.thanks so much for help on this.

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

Ibelive I orderd mine from gardiner also.Do you think the one pictured above would leak less.thanks so much for help on this.

 

I honestly don't know. It just looks better made IMHO.

 

I see that the suppliers of electric reels don't always sell the swivel that is fitted to their reels as a spare part.

 

I'm thinking of the Prolok and Purefreedom swivel.

Edited by spruce

Share this post


Link to post
Diamond geezer

yes it does look better

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning

I had that connector on my grippa tank reel for the whole time I owned it (about 5yrs) never leaked until a couple of months ago. Then bought my new reel later anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Diamond geezer

What the seally connector?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.