Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Future new window cleaner

thanasisp

Hello everyone

My name is Ethan and I'm living in Manchester.

Many months now I'm flirting with the idea of doing a start up window cleaning business, 

Part time in the beginning and then full time..

I'm working in an office but I'm fed up,

I want to be my own boss and work for myself.

I'm using this forum a few months now,reading and searching of equipment, supplies,software etc..

I'm thinking to buy the basic equipment and create a few leaflets and to start find my first clients..

But before I do that ,and spend the money I want to make sure that I like the job.

Is any window cleaner around North west that willing to take me on board for a few days ( Saturday or Sunday ) and show me the ropes..

I will do that for FREE.

Just want to make sure that I like it before i start my part time business..

I will appreciate any help or advice..

Thanks 

Ethan 

I think @dazmond could help you, and with time you could become his beaich.

ok, your bored being in an office but why window cleaning?. window cleaning sounds like a good option to some fresh air  and that summer tan, your own boss oh this is the life, that could be what you perceive life as a window cleaner is, infact for the most its the opposite, its constant hard work both building a business and doing the work, also it should take about three years of all that hard graft till you have a moderate income, then there is the winter, do you have the will power to go out to work when its close to freezing point?-an office job sounds good at this point. whilst the job itself is quite easy the most successful people I have met have customer service skills as in, they know how to market their business and how to inter-act with the customers and build a round very quick- do you have these skills?. my last "proper job" I had was fitting windows and doors etc, the firm I worked for gave me an office job sorting out all manner of rubbish (you can't use swear words on here) that fitters had done, six months later I asked to be back out on the tools again to correct those fitters bad work as office work wasn't for me, too much politics and bitchiness so I can understand why you want to get out of that situation.

what attracts you to window cleaning? its not all roses like you read on forums mate and you only read the good posts, never the bad as members like to give that impression that they are  "raking it in" so to speak, the reality is very different for some.

I think @dazmond could help you, and with time you could become his beaich.

ok, your bored being in an office but why window cleaning?. window cleaning sounds like a good option to some fresh air  and that summer tan, your own boss oh this is the life, that could be what you perceive life as a window cleaner is, infact for the most its the opposite, its constant hard work both building a business and doing the work, also it should take about three years of all that hard graft till you have a moderate income, then there is the winter, do you have the will power to go out to work when its close to freezing point?-an office job sounds good at this point. whilst the job itself is quite easy the most successful people I have met have customer service skills as in, they know how to market their business and how to inter-act with the customers and build a round very quick- do you have these skills?. my last "proper job" I had was fitting windows and doors etc, the firm I worked for gave me an office job sorting out all manner of rubbish (you can't use swear words on here) that fitters had done, six months later I asked to be back out on the tools again to correct those fitters bad work as office work wasn't for me, too much politics and bitchiness so I can understand why you want to get out of that situation.

what attracts you to window cleaning? its not all roses like you read on forums mate and you only read the good posts, never the bad as members like to give that impression that they are  "raking it in" so to speak, the reality is very different for some.
Kevin 

Thanks for your reply,I don't want to be someone's beiach..

Many reasons attracted to window cleaning. 

And I have very good sales background and project management..

I suggest you just buy the equipment and "go for it". If you end up not liking the job you may lose £200 or so on the equipment (when you sell it second hand) but you will have earned that in window cleaning so all you will have lost is your time.

From my POV I can't see an existing windy taking you to meet their customers on their cleaning round - whats to stop you undercutting them?

So.. you need to watch some youtube videos. Like what you see? Splash out and buy the gear. Don't? then you've lost nothing.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd has some very good videos up on youtube about window cleaning, you'd be wise to check those out to learn more about this business.

From my POV I can't see an existing windy taking you to meet their customers on their cleaning round - whats to stop you undercutting them?

So.. you need to watch some youtube videos. Like what you see? Splash out and buy the gear. Don't? then you've lost nothing.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd has some very good videos up on youtube about window cleaning, you'd be wise to check those out to learn more about this business.
Hi Tango 

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm an honest person I'm not going to steal anyone clients, that's not me.

I want to have my own clients.

I will check the videos.

I used to watch Keith Kalfas videos on YouTube, he's American so the type of houses and pricing aren't the same, but it really helped with the motivation to get up and get customers

I’d take you out mate but I don’t do any window cleaning on a weekend and @dazmond definitely doesn’t. 

As Kevin said above it’s not easy at all yes the money can be very good but it’s a constant graft and there’s so much to learn when first staring out: tax, marketing, advertising, tools, chemicals, SEO, running a Facebook business page, dealing with customers (the correct way), actually getting customers the list goes on and on and on. 

Plus as already mentioned you’ve got to have the heart to go out in freezing temperatures on your own most of the day cleaning windows, somedays you might not speak to a single person. 

I don’t want to put you off it’s the best thing I’ve ever done just make sure you know what you’re getting into. 

Oh and stay off my patch ?

I used to watch Keith Kalfas videos on YouTube, he's American so the type of houses and pricing aren't the same, but it really helped with the motivation to get up and get customers
Hi Maund

Thanks for your reply 

I will check them.

I’d take you out mate but I don’t do any window cleaning on a weekend and @dazmond definitely doesn’t. 

As Kevin said above it’s not easy at all yes the money can be very good but it’s a constant graft and there’s so much to learn when first staring out: tax, marketing, advertising, tools, chemicals, SEO, running a Facebook business page, dealing with customers (the correct way), actually getting customers the list goes on and on and on. 

Plus as already mentioned you’ve got to have the heart to go out in freezing temperatures on your own most of the day cleaning windows, somedays you might not speak to a single person. 

I don’t want to put you off it’s the best thing I’ve ever done just make sure you know what you’re getting into. 

Oh and stay off my patch ?
Hi Doggy 

Thanks for reply.

I know too much too learn,that's why I'm using this forum.

I'm reading and taking notes.

I know its difficult, nothing is easy.

Don't worry I will stay out of your patch ...Haha

??

@thanasisp fair play to you for wanting to make a change in your life I agree with the above to a point as it's important to have a reality check and realise you will be chasing money and getting no 28 days holiday a year, but if you have a sales background and are driven to succeed then it's 100% doable @Chris33 came on here around 2 years ago as a newbie and now has 2 vans on the road @P4dstar another example pushed hard and is running a successful business 

Hello everyone

My name is Ethan and I'm living in Manchester.

Many months now I'm flirting with the idea of doing a start up window cleaning business, 

Part time in the beginning and then full time..

I'm working in an office but I'm fed up,

I want to be my own boss and work for myself.

I'm using this forum a few months now,reading and searching of equipment, supplies,software etc..

I'm thinking to buy the basic equipment and create a few leaflets and to start find my first clients..

But before I do that ,and spend the money I want to make sure that I like the job.

Is any window cleaner around North west that willing to take me on board for a few days ( Saturday or Sunday ) and show me the ropes..

I will do that for FREE.

Just want to make sure that I like it before i start my part time business..

I will appreciate any help or advice..

Thanks 

Ethan 
Best of luck to you Ethan.

One thing though, offering to go out with another windie for ‘FREE’ as you put it, isn’t a great offer.

Think about it, that windie would be giving you priceless information that he’s gained through years of experience.

Secondly, by standing there showing you how to do it, it’s slowing him down, so losing money.

No such thing as a free lunch as they say.

As I mentioned above though, good luck with your new venture 

Best of luck to you Ethan.

One thing though, offering to go out with another windie for ‘FREE’ as you put it, isn’t a great offer.

Think about it, that windie would be giving you priceless information that he’s gained through years of experience.

Secondly, by standing there showing you how to do it, it’s slowing him down, so losing money.

No such thing as a free lunch as they say.

As I mentioned above though, good luck with your new venture 
Thanks for your reply. 

I get what u saying and I just want to observe I'm not going to slow anyone  down.

Anyway, thanks for your time

Buy a starter kit and then watch utube videos all day and finally practice on your own windows. That's what I did a few years ago but finding this forum was invaluable. Best of luck.

As some of the lads say, its certainly not for the fainthearted, (not saying you are) same as any business or anything in life, you will only get out what you put in. theres many an ex windy out there who just couldnt cut it. I think in the future lifes gonna be a bit tougher, and so will the job.

Back