Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro membrane change

Larry joly

Hi lads

Im desperate for any help with changing my ro membrane over. Everything went fine,more or less,until i tried to place the end cap back on with the new membrane inside. 

The video i watched was good and at the end said use a club hammer to get the cap back on tightly. I hammered the cap and it went in,but not enough to be able to put the white ring clip in place. I have hammered the **** out of it, still no more progress that i can tell. I dont want to damage the casing, its already been dented up with the hammering I've done...so i dont know what else to do.

The slot in the case where the white clip slides into is showing,but its not showing enough to fit the clip and seal the case.

Please help...

I use a block of wood and a lump hammer to nudge it along. Also, try tapping the edge rather than the centre. Sometimes helps.

You really need to lubricate the o ring with Molycote or if you have some Vaseline put a smear round it. Then have the o ring sitting on the end cap, that is important.

You then need to apply even pressure all around. I have a tool and that works wonders. This may or may not work but try. Get a mug and position it over the end cap. Have someone hold the housing. Then a quick hard push with even pressure that is the key.

if it doesn’t do it first time try again.

i just hope you haven’t damaged the cap.

You really need to lubricate the o ring with Molycote or if you have some Vaseline put a smear round it. Then have the o ring sitting on the end cap, that is important.

You then need to apply even pressure all around. I have a tool and that works wonders. This may or may not work but try. Get a mug and position it over the end cap. Have someone hold the housing. Then a quick hard push with even pressure that is the key.

if it doesn’t do it first time try again.

i just hope you haven’t damaged the cap.
Thanks for your reply. I lubricated the o ring and the rim of the casing with silicone lubricant i was given by the guys in sureclean,who i bought this off. I didnt put the o ring on the cap, i followed this video out up by sureclean. This gear is exactly the gear i have...

https://surecleansystems.com/how-to-guides/ on the 4040 membrane change video 

Well,just so someone else can see how it went,i finally got it sorted.

Headed up to sureclean and they disconnected all the pipes from the ro unit and hammered the cap on,and with some effort and a screwdriver and the mallet,they tapped the white ring clip into the groove. What a relief. They reckoned that there was air being trapped at the back of the ro case stopping the membrane from being put into place. No matter how much i hammered it it would never go in. So that sounds logical enough to me. Thanks for your feedback

Back