Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working In The Rain!!!

Lol, I’d need to wear a face mask to stay dry in today’s weather. Still all done and rain leaflet was a god send today. 
Haha. Was bad here on Saturday. Only did three hours but with my proofs on I was fine although my socks are starting to go so my feet were drenched. 

Normally I wouldn’t work in this weather as not under pressure to get work done but just had a van go down so thought I’d best crack on today. 

Don't really bother me - used to work in the rain in another job moons ago and even then i had colleagues who were snowflakes and thought they'd melt away so would go skiiving somewhere..

Got myself a nice big hi-vis yellow coat that is water proof. Bit too big for me really but it does the job and the pockets are like a universe of space themselves - i can actually fit my A5 clipboard in there and not see it the pockets are that big (and still space for a pair of winter thermal gloves, keys, pen, and various other bits). I love that coat.. shame i can't find a non hi-vis version lol

I agree rain water won’t get windows dirty etc, but in torrential rain it always beats the dirt off the ground and every front, back & French doors will be covered in black specs for like the first 12-18 inches up. I just feel like Im giving off the impression that ‘I don’t really are’ if I clean in rain that heavy. But maybe I’m wrong I dunno, hard one to gauge.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd said in one of his videos that he cleans in what he considers ‘light rain’ obviously that can vary from one persons opinion to another, but I agree with that, I tell my customers when I introduce myself that I clean in light rain but not heavy rain etc.

Did normal windows in the morning today, but luckily I had a one off gutters & soffit clean this afternoon and it stopped raining by the time I did the windows afterwards ?

Long term plan is to have a few small contracts/ commercial jobs I can plan in the rain. 

Window Cleaning Myths: Rain Makes Windows Dirty

by David Galkin on 7/9/2016

RAIN:  WILL IT MAKE MY WINDOWS DIRTY AGAIN?

Rain does many things but it does not make a clean window dirty.  It may make a dirty window look dirtier, but only if there is dirt already on the window.  Actually, rain usually will help keep windows cleaner, longer.

RAINWATER VS. GROUNDWATER
Groundwater contains minerals, chemicals, and particulates usually not found in rainwater.  Groundwater from sprinklers will leave spots on windows and cars for two general reasons.  First, the chemicals and particulates in the groundwater will remain after the water evaporates leaving white spots where the bead of water landed.  Second, the groundwater will also disturb and loosen any dirt and dust that was already present on the window or car surface.  When the water evaporates a spot will remain.  Rainwater is usually more pure and will not leave spots when it dries, unless the item that got wet was dirty to begin with!

HOW RAIN KEEPS WINDOWS CLEAN
Rain actually aids in keeping the air cleaner and will rinse dust, dirt, and pollen off of exterior surfaces.  Regular rains keep levels of particulate matter lower, and if your windows are clean, it helps keep dirt and pollen from accumulating on the glass and surrounding areas.  If there is no dirt on the window, there is nothing to create a spot when it rains.  If the air is clean, less dirt will settle on the surface of a rain drop and subsequently remain as a spot when the rain evaporates.  Dry weather and seasonal pollen will cause dust and dirt to accumulate on windows and surfaces. Also, construction, landscaping, mulching, or mowing in dry weather will generate large amounts of dust and dirt.  

In general, clean windows + regular rain showers = cleaner windows.  (Take a look at any windows you have that are protected by eaves or a porch and you will see that they are generally dirtier than windows that are exposed to rain).  This leads to another common misconception: windows can't be adequately cleaned if it is raining or if they are wet.  We wash windows with a solution of soap and water....a little more water isn't going to hurt. Just understand that should it rain before, during, or shortly after a cleaning - the windows will still shine when the sun comes back out.

Rain is actually effective in helping keep dust and pollen down and exterior surfaces clean. Too much or too little of anything is never good, but the right amount and frequency of rain will help your windows stay cleaner, longer!

I agree rain water won’t get windows dirty etc, but in torrential rain it always beats the dirt off the ground and every front, back & French doors will be covered in black specs for like the first 12-18 inches up. I just feel like Im giving off the impression that ‘I don’t really are’ if I clean in rain that heavy. But maybe I’m wrong I dunno, hard one to gauge.

@Green Pro Clean Ltd said in one of his videos that he cleans in what he considers ‘light rain’ obviously that can vary from one persons opinion to another, but I agree with that, I tell my customers when I introduce myself that I clean in light rain but not heavy rain etc.

Did normal windows in the morning today, but luckily I had a one off gutters & soffit clean this afternoon and it stopped raining by the time I did the windows afterwards ?

Long term plan is to have a few small contracts/ commercial jobs I can plan in the rain. 
People need to learn to clean there patio/paving on a regular basis then it wouldn't be an issue, this also bugs me, I rinse down our patio and footpaths around 3 times a week takes 10 minutes with the garden hose

A week of solid rain like this is getting to be an annual thing to some degree I think climate change is responsible and the seasons are changing.  

What I think about more though is how much money is going to be missed out on by window cleaners across the country this week. 

A week of solid rain like this is getting to be an annual thing to some degree I think climate change is responsible and the seasons are changing.  

What I think about more though is how much money is going to be missed out on by window cleaners across the country this week. 

When they start putting food on my table then I’ll worry about other window cleaners ? 

Driving rain as we have here in Derbyshire Peaks at the moment there is no way I would pay someone to clean the windows on my house, so I kind of think I cant charge customers to do the same. If it was straight down no wind then maybe. Not that hungry yet!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys anyone know of any good video or written info regarding why cleaning in rain OK with wfp? Wanting something to put on my fb etc. Cheers 

Latest Posts

Back