Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The road tax is a joke

Amazin

So my 2006 Ford Transit cost me £140 per year, but the new Peugeot Partner (2016, 66Reg) will cost £260 per year. I phoned them and they said it's mostly depend on the emission level. what a load of ****! Surely the newer van will emit less than the old ones??

its gone from bing a simple road fund to a enviromantle shake down. dpf filters are a total joke too. thay dont cut the solution, just controls when it gets spat out. so it dosent appear on an mot test at idle speed.  

If you can your better off not selling older Van's with cheap Tax. 

When I bought my Nemo I got caught out. Thought it was going to be thirty quid a year but once I took ownership it jumped to 240 a year. 

Private sellers aren't always aware that when they flog their car the cheap road tax does not pass to new owner...

If you can your better off not selling older Van's with cheap Tax. 

When I bought my Nemo I got caught out. Thought it was going to be thirty quid a year but once I took ownership it jumped to 240 a year. 

Private sellers aren't always aware that when they flog their car the cheap road tax does not pass to new owner...
it sucks, we can't transfer the road tax from one vehicle to the next. so what happens to that road tax once you start driving the new van?

My transit connect was £140 a year my Vauxhall combo is £240 can't see how as it's a smaller engine and newer. 

it sucks, we can't transfer the road tax from one vehicle to the next. so what happens to that road tax once you start driving the new van?
When you sell a vehicle you can apply to get the remaining tax on it refunded , but if it’s part way through a month they won’t refund that only full months that are unused if that makes sense 

My transit connect was £140 a year my Vauxhall combo is £240 can't see how as it's a smaller engine and newer. 
Is this ongoing or just the first year? I’m sure new cars are hit with a standard, one off tax the first year (no matter engine size, etc) and then it changes. Not sure if this applies to commercial vehicles, though. 

Is this ongoing or just the first year? I’m sure new cars are hit with a standard, one off tax the first year (no matter engine size, etc) and then it changes. Not sure if this applies to commercial vehicles, though. 
I did ask that when I was on the phone to them but they couldn't give me a straight answer, it all depend on the budget

I'm £250 a year for my 3.5 ton Crafter which is less than a pound a day, so I'm happy with that. The DPF is a right pain, every 200 miles I have to drive down to Greenock on the motorway to clean it. It would be okay if I knew someone down there but I don't, how it's saving the environment beats me. :1f644:

My transit connect is £260 a year. its getting on, 2004 reg, and gutless. Well, its ok in town etc, just not on the motorway. how come the connects can vary so much? Think I'll get a rickshaw and some foreign slave to pedal me and the gear about. No rickshaw symbol. This old trolley will do -  ?

And this brings me back to those that still love to under price work for whatever reason. 

Say 20 customers per day, you work a 20 day month so 400 cleans each customer is costing you 5p per clean just in road tax. 60p per customer per year and that's just on your cheapest tax. 

If your complaining about £240 a year for a van don't buy a Land Rover. ?? 

I'm £250 a year for my 3.5 ton Crafter which is less than a pound a day, so I'm happy with that. The DPF is a right pain, every 200 miles I have to drive down to Greenock on the motorway to clean it. It would be okay if I knew someone down there but I don't, how it's saving the environment beats me. :1f644:
I've said it before get some Cataclean DPF Cleaner  it says put in every 3 months but I mine every 5-6 months and it makes a difference to the drive and fuel consumption as well the price on Amazon is the cheapest at one point euro car parts were selling one bottle for £26 

People complaining about £260 a year for a van that earns you £10,000's  greedy window cleaner through and through ?

I've said it before get some Cataclean DPF Cleaner  it says put in every 3 months but I mine every 5-6 months and it makes a difference to the drive and fuel consumption as well the price on Amazon is the cheapest at one point euro car parts were selling one bottle for £26 

People complaining about £260 a year for a van that earns you £10,000's  greedy window cleaner through and through ?
On another note, you could say ones that charge higher are greedy window cleaners. ( I dont think they are, its just a different perspective)

On another note, you could say ones that charge higher are greedy window cleaners. ( I dont think they are, its just a different perspective)
I agree, I’m not complaining I just can’t see how my transit connect that was older drunk a lot more fuel a larger engine can be half the price of a newer more economical and small engine, just in fuel drinking a lot more so having to use a lot more isn’t exactly environmentally friendly to me it just don’t make sense. 

I bought the cataclean that Iron man was talking about. Only £13, I'll give it a try to see how it goes. Just spent £270 on Amazon, updating my office in my study room. Being that busy, I need places to keep receipts and shred things. I'm beginning to look like a real business now and cant spend all day looking for things.

Back