Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Off your trolley

Apw1210

Good afternoon all, hope you're all well.

Ive just started building another water fed pole pump trolley and control box. 

Ive had an electronics background since i was a kid and wanted to pass on a few valuable tips which may be of help to anyone wishing to create thier own kit 

Im using the "Handy" brand of folding sack truck like many others have done.

If you want to build a trolley the correct size electrical enclosure box for the Handy sack truck is 

300x220x120mm 

Top tip

If you'd like to achieve a great internal finish with the means of easily mounting your components, pump, battery etc i highly recommend using a back plate within your enclosure 

You can buy galvanised back plates buy they can be stupidly expensive 

Go to a Tesco Extra superstore and pick up a basic white chopping board for £2 and cut it to size 

This will give you a flat clean surface to affix all of your electronics 

The white chopping board is actually (PP) polypropylene which is a great item to use and cut easily with a hand saw or jigsaw 

The board tesco sells is 4mm and with some cutting you'll also be able to slot your battery into place and had a securing strap 

Another tip is to use applicator paper or wide masking tape and stick it onto your box so you can draw out and mark where you wish to mount your electronics etc

I'm going to add more build videos to my YouTube channel AW Services so others can use them for reference 

20190616_152924.jpg

20190616_155257.jpg

20190617_155215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an attempt on a trolley WFP system based on your guide from odd bits from broken backpacks so not as fancy as your all singing all dancing one but it works well and is robust! I have one or two adjustments to make like cutting the space in the cutting board for the battery it does fit but it will improve the fit.

The trolley was purchased as was the box and £2 chopping board and wiring cable cost totals £77 the rest was a Recycling job! Pump + pre filter from a disused broken old backpack, on off switch + fuse from an old pump board, backup motor controller I’ve had hanging around for years and a battery + charging point from a damaged Gardiner back pack.

learnt a great deal from this build and grateful for you posting good advice on here and your other post re trolley build.

looking forward to making another for my brother soon but he’ll have to buy all the bits as I’ve depleted My “That may come in handy one day” stash.

Where do you get the handy trolley from? I have tried a few trollies to put my Gardiner on and always seem to find they end up bust or wheels dropping off etc. At the moment I am just carrying my backpack when needed, as I have a tank in the van. If you have a link be handy!! Thanks in advance nice videos.

I made an attempt on a trolley WFP system based on your guide from odd bits from broken backpacks so not as fancy as your all singing all dancing one but it works well and is robust! I have one or two adjustments to make like cutting the space in the cutting board for the battery it does fit but it will improve the fit.

The trolley was purchased as was the box and £2 chopping board and wiring cable cost totals £77 the rest was a Recycling job! Pump + pre filter from a disused broken old backpack, on off switch + fuse from an old pump board, backup motor controller I’ve had hanging around for years and a battery + charging point from a damaged Gardiner back pack.

learnt a great deal from this build and grateful for you posting good advice on here and your other post re trolley build.

looking forward to making another for my brother soon but he’ll have to buy all the bits as I’ve depleted My “That may come in handy one day” stash.
Firstly Happy new year & many thanks for your kind comment.

There are no secrets and if one person can gain some knowledge from this build it's helped.

I have built another recently with a black enclosure and a slightly different styling of switch gear etc 

Where do you get the handy trolley from? I have tried a few trollies to put my Gardiner on and always seem to find they end up bust or wheels dropping off etc. At the moment I am just carrying my backpack when needed, as I have a tank in the van. If you have a link be handy!! Thanks in advance nice videos.
Good afternoon, they are becoming harder to source. Sealey the tool supplier had the some model listed on their website last year and the vital wording to use when Google searching is the following 

The FHST folding handy sack truck 

I have had one of these for about 6 years with the soapwash backpack permanently strapped to it with webbing cam-straps. Very light (aluminium) and compact and a perfect fit for the backpack. No real negative issues at all. A little under £90 for this puncture proof one. I didn't see that option when I bought mine. I would have bought the puncture proof one if I'd seen that option.

It's important to have good sized wheels. We sometimes have to go across gravel and soft gardens. Screenshot_20220101-162950_Clock Launcher.jpg

Firstly Happy new year & many thanks for your kind comment.

There are no secrets and if one person can gain some knowledge from this build it's helped.

I have built another recently with a black enclosure and a slightly different styling of switch gear etc 

Good afternoon, they are becoming harder to source. Sealey the tool supplier had the some model listed on their website last year and the vital wording to use when Google searching is the following 

The FHST folding handy sack truck 
Don't mean to sound rude but a 2 second google search and they appear in front of you 

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/the-handy-200kg-440lb-folding-sack-truck?gclid=Cj0KCQiAlMCOBhCZARIsANLid6bBOlZMaiqQx33ODMykKYRJVffoqNtolsnmtuyeq_QnMqAOwh6a5tcaAlPxEALw_wcB

Or if you can't be arsed faffing about just buy a backpack,add 20m of pole hose,a bungee strap and a fold away trolley and away you go......
Bungees are dangerous and don't last 5 minutes plus they are elastic and water is heavy. Use cam buckle straps 

Fold away sack trucks belong in a skip. They are flimsy cheap and nasty with wheels and axles that snap 

Bungees are dangerous and don't last 5 minutes plus they are elastic and water is heavy. Use cam buckle straps 

Fold away sack trucks belong in a skip. They are flimsy cheap and nasty with wheels and axles that snap 
Never had a problem myself....although I've only used this set up for emergencies in the past....once I used it for 4 weeks until my new van got delivered no problem 

Using a trolley as a full time set up is just not for me...i use a van mount for my work on a day to day basis 

Depends which one you use.

If you use the cheap non-branded ones yes i compltely agree their quality is inferior trash, If you use a quality one (Clarke Strong Arm - available from machine mart) then you'll be surprised at just how much better they are. I've had mine something like 18 years.

Back