Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cutting squeegee rubber

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jimbo

Anybody got any good tips or techniques for cutting squeegee rubber for a liquidator, I am so hit and miss on getting it right it drives me mad 

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Keep the original rubber as a template and use my scraper perfect everytime mind you 1 piece lasts me a year lol.

I use similar gardening anvil secateurs, i like the ones in link as you can change blade for sharp blade.

Polznbladz has a video on youtube for cutting rubber

Best way I found is a pair of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xpert-Mitre-Gasket-Snips-Angle-Cutter-Shears-Stanley-Blade-Window-Trim-Tubing/323076445303?epid=1665021244&hash=item4b38db5477:g:xSQAAOSw1AZajuys

Uses a Stanley blade which you can replace and gives a sharp cut every time.

It has a 45 degree angle for the ends too.

Practice on an old piece of rubber and you will be up and running in no time.
That looks perfect, I seem to sometimes just get my angle wrong with scraper blade and it doesn't take much of an angle to then leave lines. 

I use similar gardening anvil secateurs, i like the ones in link as you can change blade for sharp blade.

Polznbladz has a video on youtube for cutting rubber
I watched his video and he uses scissors, tried it ages ago and got terrible results, would not recommend scissors technique to anybody. Bad advice polznbladz

I watched his video and he uses scissors, tried it ages ago and got terrible results, would not recommend scissors technique to anybody. Bad advice polznbladz
I do it the same way with no issues

Considering he developed the tool I'd think he knows what he's doing lol

I cut my rubbers with a pair of good scissors like polznbladz, no issues, works fine for me.

1. replace squeegee rubber often

2. flip your squeegee rubber. there's 2 usable sides!

3. remove 1 of the 2 channel clips or plugs... permanently!

4. cut off torn squeegee rubber ends

Final thoughts:

with proper maintenance, you can get a lot of mileage from your squeegee rubbers by trimming rubber ends and flipping rubber when needed. but, when main rubber edge becomes worn and optimum window cleaning results can no longer be achieved, it's a smart move to replace squeegee rubber to give your customers the 100% satisfaction of picture perfect windows they deserve.

1. replace squeegee rubber often

2. flip your squeegee rubber. there's 2 usable sides!

3. remove 1 of the 2 channel clips or plugs... permanently!

4. cut off torn squeegee rubber ends

Final thoughts:

with proper maintenance, you can get a lot of mileage from your squeegee rubbers by trimming rubber ends and flipping rubber when needed. but, when main rubber edge becomes worn and optimum window cleaning results can no longer be achieved, it's a smart move to replace squeegee rubber to give your customers the 100% satisfaction of picture perfect windows they deserve.
And squeegee rubber do not cost all that much, and you need it in good condition to do a good job.

I use the small scissors on my swiss army knife. First I load the rubber into the liquidator flush to one end clip, and then I trim the other end with the scissors flush to the end clip. Both ends are now flush and then all that is left for triming is the angle on both ends on the clips - quick and easy!! It works every time.

In the old days when carrying a penknife on your keyring was a rite of passage rather than a passage to jail i used to trim the rough ends off the rubber with the wee scissors.

Getting a sharp cut over the width of the rubber was a challenge as you kind of hacked at it in a couple of cuts.

A pair of sharp scissors in the back of the van sufficed for years but then came the Liquidator and fancy cuts.

Scissors were hit and miss and a hammer and Stanley blade took more time and skin off my fingers than was worth it.

Maybe its just me but after thirty odd years of window cleaning i still get surprised at the difference a new piece of rubber makes on the glass and i think i should do this more often but i keep swapping them over and cutting corners ?

Gasket Shears with the Stanley blade has made all the difference a sharp cut everytime and perfect angles for the Liquidator.

Back