Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

diesel heater question

I have the grippatank 9kw one it is now nearly 5 years old never been serviced they either work or they don’t it must  have been running flat out for the best part of 10,000 hours it is used 8 hours a day 5 days a week . When they start puffing out white smoke ( unburnt diesel) they need servicing ie replace the screen and pin and sometimes the burner housing , I believe this costs between £400-600 to do 

Thanks,Ive been offered one 4 years old £500 9k version Apart from that service they just keep going I think,would you be enclined to agree.no preasure like.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Froststat by Spring controllers is a 'normal' controller with a digital temperature addition @Diamond geezer. When the temperature inside the heater drops to 2 degrees C the controller will switch the heater on for 10 minutes to heat the water up in the internal hot water circuit. It doesn't do this automatically; you have to switch the controller on so it monitors the temps. If you don't then it won't react to freezing temps.

The Froststat by Spring controllers is a 'normal' controller with a digital temperature addition @Diamond geezer. When the temperature inside the heater drops to 2 degrees C the controller will switch the heater on for 10 minutes to heat the water up in the internal hot water circuit. It doesn't do this automatically; you have to switch the controller on so it monitors the temps. If you don't then it won't react to freezing temps.

You are right in what you are saying , but to someone who doesn’t understand this the controller doesn’t need to be switched on to operate the frost stat but a setting on the controller needs to be switched on so when the controller is switched off it will still monitor the temperature , hope this makes sense 

You are right in what you are saying , but to someone who doesn’t understand this the controller doesn’t need to be switched on to operate the frost stat but a setting on the controller needs to be switched on so when the controller is switched off it will still monitor the temperature , hope this makes sense 

Thanks for your help fellas.Am I right the spring controller when swiched on to some degree will turn on and off the diesel heater and circulate warm water around my system to stop it freezing in the back of my van.with out this the heater is just dumb.Is this said controller also responsible for turning on and off the heater manualy,to do a cleaning job?

Thanks for your help fellas.Am I right the spring controller when swiched on to some degree will turn on and off the diesel heater and circulate warm water around my system to stop it freezing in the back of my van.with out this the heater is just dumb.Is this said controller also responsible for turning on and off the heater manualy,to do a cleaning job?
 The spring controller is called a v11 I think  Ian Shepperd is a very helpful guy who works for spring 

you program the controller before use to turn the boiler on if water temperature drops below 2 degrees, just the same as you would programme it for the flow rate you want , then you turn the controller off it is like in sleep mode but still monitors the temperature and puts the boiler on when needed as a frost stat , yes you can turn on the heater and off with it as well it sounds complicated but trust me if I can do it anyone can ???

Back