Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

O clips or Cable ties?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you use PU pole hose you won't need either 'o' clamps or cable ties. Just push the PU hose onto the univalve barbs. They won't come off when you pull on them.

I used to like O clips....then I had to change a uni-valve!! 

I'm sure that if Exceed felt that cable ties would suffice they would have used them. However, that doesn't mean they won't work, so why not try them and report back how you get on.

I used to like O clips....then I had to change a uni-valve!! 
Been there and hated every minute of it (trying to change a univalve with o clips that is).  Agree with Spruce, give cable ties a go and let us know. I was going to go with Mark's advice for the next time and just do without o clips because I use the green PU hose.

Some o clips are tougher than others. I use an angle grinder for the tough ones. A little bit a grinding, cool it down to get rid of the heat and repeat.

Some o clips are tougher than others. I use an angle grinder for the tough ones. A little bit a grinding, cool it down to get rid of the heat and repeat.
When you think how easy they are to get on it's a bit extreme having to go to those lengths to get them off even though it is effective!  Someone needs to invent an 'ERO Clip'  (easily removable) and make all our lives better.  Or maybe the cable ties are the answer......

When you think how easy they are to get on it's a bit extreme having to go to those lengths to get them off even though it is effective!  Someone needs to invent an 'ERO Clip'  (easily removable) and make all our lives better.  Or maybe the cable ties are the answer......
O clips certainly aren't the answer! That's for sure! Imagine they'll hardly be used in a few years. 

With a decent pair of snips I'm able to nibble one off in a a few minutes! But today was the last day I'm doing that! 

Logically I'd think that cable ties would be as effective as o clips while being much easier to remove... not had chance to try it yet, so I can't properly comment on that. ?

I just cut through them with the same tool that puts them on. Takes about three seconds. Not sure where the problem is?

So do I, but I have some I ordered from an Ebay supplier which are really tough and my application tool won't touch them. So its an angle grinder job. Someone uses a Dreimel tool but I don't have one of those.

Stainless steel ones are very good but getting them off is very difficult, especially at the road side when working , we now use cheap two ear steel ones as these can easily be cut off with side cutters  and are cheap as chips if you buy them from the manufacture I think we pay £12 for 100 if you buy them from wfp supplies they are around 45 -75 pence each 

If you use PU pole hose you won't need either 'o' clamps or cable ties. Just push the PU hose onto the univalve barbs. They won't come off when you pull on them.
Finally got round to buying a new pole. Have fitted it with PU hose only (no O clips) and so far so good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
why is everyone getting their knickers in a knot over little metal o clips, all you need is a plier sized pair of bolt cutters, sharp stanley knife and brains, if these little things are defeating so many people then god help us all ?

I use a Dremel multi tool (mini disc cutter) and a mini vice. Great for that sort of thing. 

But then I just like having different toys to play with. I never did outgrow my Meccano set. I'm sorry now that I gave it away In 1968.?

ERO Clip. Wouldn’t that be a hose clip?

Back