Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do I build it myself or get it professionally done?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Alexander

Don't know if this has been discussed before. 

Wondered what people's opinions are on buying a pre-built system for my van, like X-line, grippa tank ect or buying it all individually and building myself? Obviously the latter is alot cheaper.

Thanks

Don't know if this has been discussed before. 

Wondered what people's opinions are on buying a pre-built system for my van, like X-line, grippa tank ect or buying it all individually and building myself? Obviously the latter is alot cheaper.

Thanks

If you build your own system you'll know how to repair it if things go wrong.

All my systems are all DIY , if i have any problem with the system i always know what the problem is because i put the system in myself :) , if i had a grippatank system if i had a problem i would have to ring them and would not know what the problem is, this is why you should always do it yourself :p plus its cheaper !  :D

I got a window cleaning company to bolt the tank and frame into the van, that way I got an engineering report which was required from my insurance company. Did all the plumbing and electrics myself, it's not difficult, much cheaper, and I can set it up to the way that suits me. 

If you build your own system you'll know how to repair it if things go wrong.
Personally I would disagree with this to the point of things going wrong are generally basic and most will ask on here about certain issues, a 5k system or diy £1,000 system consist of 3 core components a water tank an electronic controller and a pump no matter what the price they all do the same whether basic looking or fancy and all enclosed. 

People assume that paying for an expensive system they will get great customer service this isn't always the case and if you don't know the basics of a system losing a days work for something basic while you go back to the supplier isn't helping anyone, I've done diy and the issues I have encountered have been very basic like airlocks or not charging the battery enough not rocket science for a clueless person like myself, there is a reason this forum exists there is numpties like me and lots of good people to help people out. 

DIY for me ! You can even buy af steambox with flowcontroller , a tank , reel , and youre good to go .. my box is homebuild but its def an easy start if you buy these things. 

Thanks everyone, it's definitely swinging DIY. How have people fixed their tanks down? I'm thinking about buying some steel and seeing if I could get someone to weld a frame for me. What's your set up like or what would you do different?

I've built several DIY systems, and I'll probably continue to do so because tinkering and building is my favourite part of the job.

My first system was DIY due to the low price. But if I back then had the customer base I have built up now, I'd probably buy a complete system to save setup time.

A professional fit tank can utilize the space in your van better than a stock square one. A friend of mine has a custom tank in his ford transit and it looks really good.

All my systems in my vans are ionics but I have altered them and improved then to suite my needs , I know exactly how they work and carry spares to fix most problems at the side of the road , as when working 200 miles away from home having to get someone to fix it isn’t an option , as has already been said the likely problems will be either the pump or controller or wiring none of which is very difficult to sort out if you understand how it works and what wire goes to ware , most people could sort out the basic problems if they knew this , I don’t like diy systems myself but if you do build it yourself you should be able to sort out the basic failures , with a professional system it’s just a case of following the wiring and seeing where it’s going , sometimes easier said than done ??

Thanks everyone, it's definitely swinging DIY. How have people fixed their tanks down? I'm thinking about buying some steel and seeing if I could get someone to weld a frame for me. What's your set up like or what would you do different?
Mine is a http://purefreedom.co.uk system fitted at their unit quite basic in design, but designed and built to hold the tank securely with bolts and spreader plates and professionally fitted. Some insurance companies won't insure you with a D.I.Y system in your van so be aware 

20190527_110908.jpg

My pennies worth! Don't bother doing this. Buy a Wyedale tank and then order a purpose built frame from PureFreedom. Making up a frame is a nightmare because the tank is moulded plastic and not a perfect size. By the time you pay someone's labour and the steel cost it will be easier to buy a purpose made item. Trust me; I have a wardrobe full of those teeshirts.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

New to the forum and window cleaning! :) 

I'm about to buy my second van (Citroen Dispatch) and it should be here by next week.

I currently have a static system which provides me with all the water I need. 

I have got a few quotes from 'Window Cleaning Warehouse', 'X-Line' and 'Pure Freedom' all coming out at around £3500 for a 2 man setup 700L Delivery only with a few extras.

My question is:- Should I go for one of these ready made, ready to go or..... buy the parts myself and I would imagine be able to do it much cheaper? 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Dan 

Somerset Window Cleaning

The DIY aspect along with being my own boss and working when i like is what convinced me window cleaning is for me (well technically it was our windy lol but those are the points they made to me). Not many work places left where you can DIY your own equipment without needing all sorts of paperwork.

Back