Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Portable Immersion heater element

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Adman

Evening all,

I'm going to be rejigging the van and making a few improvements in the next month or and am considering fitting an immersion heater to my tank.  I've come across this portable heater element :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N86GHPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LBFnDbGTSJGHH

I know I could do it cheaper , but if I fed the power cord and fixed it to the lid of my 650l upright tank then it would solve the hassle of drilling holes in it etc.  (I'm going to wire the electrics to a circuit breaker in the van still)

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a bad idea?  Maybe it will swing about a bit when the tank is empty...

Cheers

Ad

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like a simple and easy thing to use , just be aware with the time that it’s used ( over several hours ) it still at 2kw could over heat an extension lead , I would advise getting professional advice of the best way to connect it to the a mains power supply  , I have seem many house fires due to overloading a ring main . 

Evening all,

I'm going to be rejigging the van and making a few improvements in the next month or and am considering fitting an immersion heater to my tank.  I've come across this portable heater element :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N86GHPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LBFnDbGTSJGHH

I know I could do it cheaper , but if I fed the power cord and fixed it to the lid of my 650l upright tank then it would solve the hassle of drilling holes in it etc.  (I'm going to wire the electrics to a circuit breaker in the van still)

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a bad idea?  Maybe it will swing about a bit when the tank is empty...

Cheers

Ad
Is that for your fish tank? It won't make any difference in a van tank. The surface area is way to small 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is that for your fish tank? It won't make any difference in a van tank. The surface area is way to small 
It would make a difference, I have a 1kw/1000watt aquarium heater which I bought over 10 years ago and it heats up the water in my 350ltr tank to around 20c overnight 

It would make a difference, I have a 1kw/1000watt aquarium heater which I bought over 10 years ago and it heats up the water in my 350ltr tank to around 20c overnight 
I was using an aquarium but found it just makes the water only slightly warm.

Can’t be ar5ed messing about with it now.

Just out of curiosity, is your one completely submersible, ie you can leave it on the bottom of the tank?

I was using an aquarium but found it just makes the water only slightly warm.

Can’t be ar5ed messing about with it now.

Just out of curiosity, is your one completely submersible, ie you can leave it on the bottom of the tank?
Yes mate, completely submersible it came with suction pads but as it heats up the heater just ended up at the bottom of the tank so I just lower it in the tank gently

Yes mate, completely submersible it came with suction pads but as it heats up the heater just ended up at the bottom of the tank so I just lower it in the tank gently
So the heater is in direct contact with the bottom of the tank?

or do you lower it with the suction pads on it and get it to sit with the pads under it in contact with the tank?

So the heater is in direct contact with the bottom of the tank?

or do you lower it with the suction pads on it and get it to sit with the pads under it in contact with the tank?
Yes, heater is in direct contact with the bottom of the tank, I know it shouldn't be and they say use these units should be in a vertical position but the suction pads where ? so the heater would always be at the bottom of the tank by the morning, 

My tank isn't insulated either, so loses the heat overnight and through the next working day, but my van is always nice and warm.

Back