Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water inside double glazed windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

OnPoint

So today I got a message from a customer informing me that after I cleaned there house, one of the double glazed windows had water in between the two glass frames.

Am I correct in classing it as a fault with the window?

Or is it because I sprayed to much water inside the vents? Never had this issue before. 

Some customers might try and blame you and try to get you to pay for replacement, but it’s due to the seals breaking down all double glazed windows will go this way eventually 

The double glazed units fail and let moisture through in between the panes. Most panes end up this way

They're guaranteed for 10 years only, even the new ones. If they weren't installed properly they can also fail.

Most decent double glazing should come with a 10 year guarantee, the customer should contact the installer in that case. If the windows are older than that are out of cover, then there's nothing you, or the installer can do. Ask the customer to see if her home insurance can cover it? If not the unit needs replacing, not mega expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clarifying and reassuring me with this issue.

Assuming being water it’s obviously going to evaporate eventually?

Appreciate the the rapid responses aswell it’s like a window cleaners support line ?? 

Appreciate the the rapid responses aswell it’s like a window cleaners support line ?? 
Yeah! Yeah! Stretch out on the couch, close your eyes and make yourself comfortable. Now, relax and tell us all about it. ?

Sometimes on a sunny day, drops of water left on the outside of a double glazed unit will cause little areas of condensation to form behind them on the inside of the unit. However, that can only happen if moisture laden air is already inside the unit. No condensation can form where there is either a vacuum or an inert gas which I believe is what is usually inside most double glazed units. 

If that has happened it will not be because we've washed it with water. It will be because the seal between the panes has broken down either due to age, or poor construction materials and or poor manufacture causing the unit to become defective. As has already been said most good companies will guarantee the units for ten years. 

The only way we could cause the problem is to crack the glass 

It doesn't work that way. As the temperature between the glass panes warms up the air inside is able to hold more moisture. This will give the impression that the moisture has dried up. It hasn't as its being held in suspension.

You come along and clean the window. In doing so you lower the temperature of the air in the glass. Cold air can't hold the same amount of moisture so it shows up as condensation on the inside of the glass.

You would do well to study this website; yes its a sales site but will give you the info you need. I suggest you get to know this info and the technical terms used to refute any future complaints. If you can respond to a customer's challenge immediately with conviction you will save yourself a lot of hassle.

https://www.thewindowman.co.uk/misted-up.htm

If the customer insists you are to blame then walk away. Let them prove that you have caused the damage. They won't be able to. I'm sure the majority of us on here have had this issue. I have. When doing a new quote we always check for 'blown units' and report them. Sometimes we don't see one until after we have cleaned them and will ensure the customer is aware of their problem. 99% already know they have the problem before we even started.

I have plenty of customers with it, what else can make them mist up is when they have there radiators switched on, especially if the rad is under the window..

Yeh I lost one who said my water had ruined her glazing. I explained it cant do, its just pure water and the mist/condensation was already there. Silly ? wouldnt have it. Place was modernist, full of large panels of double glazed, hours job, so good luck in her finding a trad bloke to do it.  :1f910:

Yeh I lost one who said my water had ruined her glazing. I explained it cant do, its just pure water and the mist/condensation was already there. Silly ? wouldnt have it. Place was modernist, full of large panels of double glazed, hours job, so good luck in her finding a trad bloke to do it.  :1f910:
And good luck trying to stick the blame on him too....

HAHA I had the very same thing happen this morning on only my scound job iv had.  custy came out and said water had come in between glazing and inside too. it was all i could say is that the seal had gone....all the other windows were fine. 

Sometimes on a sunny day, drops of water left on the outside of a double glazed unit will cause little areas of condensation to form behind them on the inside of the unit. However, that can only happen if moisture laden air is already inside the unit. No condensation can form where there is either a vacuum or an inert gas which I believe is what is usually inside most double glazed units. 

If that has happened it will not be because we've washed it with water. It will be because the seal between the panes has broken down either due to age, or poor construction materials and or poor manufacture causing the unit to become defective. As has already been said most good companies will guarantee the units for ten years. 

The only way we could cause the problem is to crack the glass 
Hi Mark. They are filled with argon gas then hermetically sealed ?.

Back