Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

OETIKER O-Clips Coming Loose

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Had two new pole hoses supplied by Gardiner using the new OETIKER clips. Both have come loose. I heated up one of them and pushed it all back together but it simply happened again. I assume it’s the heat, though never happened with the old design. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

@Alex Gardiner I have spare old style O-Clips so was gonna switch them out. Just wondering if there is a way of removed the clip without cutting down the hose? If not it’s not major, I’m only losing a small length. 

B8799EC1-5DA8-4C5A-A61E-C5BD5A579BD0.jpeg

Had two new pole hoses supplied by Gardiner using the new OETIKER clips. Both have come loose. I heated up one of them and pushed it all back together but it simply happened again. I assume it’s the heat, though never happened with the old design. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

@Alex Gardiner I have spare old style O-Clips so was gonna switch them out. Just wondering if there is a way of removed the clip without cutting down the hose? If not it’s not major, I’m only losing a small length. 

We have seen this happening occasionally with the hot weather. Gradually the hose stretches slightly in length reducing the wall thickness.

Looking at a quick fix it may be worth cutting off the end 2cm of the hose before refitting as the wall thickness may be greater

or if the wall thickness is not greater than a small wrap of electrical tape around the end of the hose before fitting the O clip will increase the diameter before clamping down in position.

@doug atkinson @Alex Gardiner

Sorry to bother you both again, but I’m having a issue (anyone can answer this, mind, lol) I’m getting spray from between the hose and the male end connector. Today I replaced the end connector and cut more hose back and still having the issue with the new one. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I can post pictures if it helps. 
Pictures would help to see exactly where you have placed the O clip on the hose as this could be the issue.

@doug atkinson @Alex Gardiner

Sorry to bother you both again, but I’m having a issue (anyone can answer this, mind, lol) I’m getting spray from between the hose and the male end connector. Today I replaced the end connector and cut more hose back and still having the issue with the new one. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I can post pictures if it helps. 
Did you by any chance use the same clips or did you put new ones on?

I am guessing the yellow hose is the issue, although it shouldn't be, the clips should do there job and it looks like you couldn't get them any tighter, I bought some of these o-clips a while ago to give them a try but not used any as yet still sat in my toolbox. 

Hi MJA

Thanks for the photos. 

The problem with with the latest leak is most likely that you have fixed the O Clip in the wrong place. You have crimped it down over the smaller shaft on the stem of the Male plug. 

The correct place to connect it would be directly over the inner barb on the shaft. This is much wider & will provide a water tight seal. 

Looking at at the bigger picture though as to why you started having problems. It has been a warm summer & with a few months of use the yellow hose has slightly stretched in use - This may well have reduced the wall thickness of the hose by perhaps 0.1mm which led to your original issue of the Oetiker O clips coming loose. 

The solution (apart from new hose) would be to fit tighter O Clips. Perhaps fitted in the correct place the O Clips you have now tried will work. If not then these smaller Oetiker O Clips could be used. 

I am guessing the yellow hose is the issue, although it shouldn't be, the clips should do there job and it looks like you couldn't get them any tighter, I bought some of these o-clips a while ago to give them a try but not used any as yet still sat in my toolbox. 
I got them as I was told they were easier to use than single eared ones so thought’d I’d give them a go. I’ve only just had to use them on this end of a pole hose, though a lot of my other fittings use the larger versions. 

Hi MJA

Thanks for the photos. 

The problem with with the latest leak is most likely that you have fixed the O Clip in the wrong place. You have crimped it down over the smaller shaft on the stem of the Male plug. 

The correct place to connect it would be directly over the inner barb on the shaft. This is much wider & will provide a water tight seal. 

Looking at at the bigger picture though as to why you started having problems. It has been a warm summer & with a few months of use the yellow hose has slightly stretched in use - This may well have reduced the wall thickness of the hose by perhaps 0.1mm which led to your original issue of the Oetiker O clips coming loose. 

The solution (apart from new hose) would be to fit tighter O Clips. Perhaps fitted in the correct place the O Clips you have now tried will work. If not then these smaller Oetiker O Clips could be used. 
Ahh ok I see, I didn’t realise it had to be over the barb, my bad!

As regards the stretching. I cut off a good amount to avoid any area which I thought could have been effect by this, or is it possible the entire hose has stretched? 

The hose is in great nick apart from this, I must have only brought it about 6 months ago (though I’ll have to check that). 

I’ll get some of those clips when I next make a order from you guys. I have a spare green PU hose which is working a treat (apart from being massive as it was originally for a 45, lol!) so I’ll stick with that until then. Thanks for your advice on this. ?

Is that rust on that brand new clip !!!!

the clip doesnt look new....i use the same clips and they look nothing like them........

i use hot water  all year round so i always double clip mine.....?
It’s never been used before but it’s probably sat for about a year and must have gotten wet at some point, that’s why it has rust. Though the clip itself hasn’t ever been used. I wouldn’t think this would make a difference?

Latest Posts

Back