Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A great day for me

Doddy111

[SIZE=17pt]I am now officially a full time window cleaner as today was my final shift at my part time job. As soon as 8am hit I bowled out of that place like I was Conor McGregor [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]?[/SIZE][SIZE=17pt](despite getting some stick for leaving to become a window cleaner)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]November 2018 I started up my business not having a single clue about window cleaning, (I still don’t know where I even got the idea from) but with the help of this forum and all of the great people on it I’ve managed to build up a really good customer base of nearly 200 regulars.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Right now I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. I’ve gone from having multiple credit cards and debt that I couldn’t keep up with to being on top of all my bills, almost debt free and living comfortably [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]?[/SIZE] [SIZE=17pt]but besides the money the best thing to come out of all this is that I have finally found some direction, something that I enjoy, something that I can build on and grow, this is definitely the most important thing for me. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]It’s not been easy though, I probably should of left my part time job 2 months ago but a mixture of fear and enjoying having money kept me there longer than I should have been. The last 3-4 weeks have been a real struggle, I’ve never suffered with mental health problems and I’m definitely not shy of a bit of graft but leaving the house at 3:30am and not getting home until 4/5pm and then dealing with customers, arranging quotes plus making time for the Mrs & kids has left me worn out. I was snappy with everyone, I was dreading my work phone ringing and dreading having to wake up the next day and do it all again. I think a mixture of not enough sleep, a **** diet and not exercising are to blame. Take note everyone look after yourself & don’t burn yourself out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Anyway, this is getting a bit deep for a Wednesday morning and I’ve got windows to crack on with but I thought I’d share my little success story for you all, I’m still nowhere near where I want to be but I’m a million miles away from where I started I’ve just got to make sure I don’t get comfortable and I keep building. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Have a good day everyone & stay safe [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]??[/SIZE]

Well done some people are not suited to working for themselves as they have no get up and go , you certainly have got what is needed to succeed in being your own boss ime sure in years to come you will kick yourself and wish you had done it years ago I certainly did 

Well done some people are not suited to working for themselves as they have no get up and go , you certainly have got what is needed to succeed in being your own boss ime sure in years to come you will kick yourself and wish you had done it years ago I certainly did 

100% wish I’d of started sooner I’ve just spent 5 years in college & uni (graduated last year) and what a waste of time that was imagine the round/business I could of built in that time ??

All it takes to be successful in business is luck, attitude, right work ethos, supportive family etc etc ?. Glad you've sorted your life out and hope in the next 8 months you've doubled your customer base, really nice to hear from those that start from scratch and build a decent business.

[SIZE=17pt]I am now officially a full time window cleaner as today was my final shift at my part time job. As soon as 8am hit I bowled out of that place like I was Conor McGregor [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]?[/SIZE][SIZE=17pt](despite getting some stick for leaving to become a window cleaner)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]November 2018 I started up my business not having a single clue about window cleaning, (I still don’t know where I even got the idea from) but with the help of this forum and all of the great people on it I’ve managed to build up a really good customer base of nearly 200 regulars.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Right now I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. I’ve gone from having multiple credit cards and debt that I couldn’t keep up with to being on top of all my bills, almost debt free and living comfortably [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]?[/SIZE] [SIZE=17pt]but besides the money the best thing to come out of all this is that I have finally found some direction, something that I enjoy, something that I can build on and grow, this is definitely the most important thing for me. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]It’s not been easy though, I probably should of left my part time job 2 months ago but a mixture of fear and enjoying having money kept me there longer than I should have been. The last 3-4 weeks have been a real struggle, I’ve never suffered with mental health problems and I’m definitely not shy of a bit of graft but leaving the house at 3:30am and not getting home until 4/5pm and then dealing with customers, arranging quotes plus making time for the Mrs & kids has left me worn out. I was snappy with everyone, I was dreading my work phone ringing and dreading having to wake up the next day and do it all again. I think a mixture of not enough sleep, a **** diet and not exercising are to blame. Take note everyone look after yourself & don’t burn yourself out. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Anyway, this is getting a bit deep for a Wednesday morning and I’ve got windows to crack on with but I thought I’d share my little success story for you all, I’m still nowhere near where I want to be but I’m a million miles away from where I started I’ve just got to make sure I don’t get comfortable and I keep building. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Have a good day everyone & stay safe [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]??[/SIZE]
Hi mate congrats and good luck can I ask what the best things you did to get started up just about to start this journey put my notice in getting loads of stick for leaving to become a window cleaner ? 

Hi mate congrats and good luck can I ask what the best things you did to get started up just about to start this journey put my notice in getting loads of stick for leaving to become a window cleaner ? 

Makes me laugh the perception people have of window cleaners, to be fair I was the same but I just have the bucket bobs & the benefit cheats around my end. 

When I first started I was just out door knocking every day and got them booked in for the end of the week or the start of the following week. I set a target to hit 100 customers within 3 months (without dropping my prices or taking on ?) this target became everything proper sad I know but when you’re skint and you’ve got nothing but time what else are you going to do. 

Uniform, some professional leaflets and a telephone voice probably makes a difference. I’m not a great salesman so I imagine someone with the gift of the gab could smash my target. Good luck mate if you’ve got the drive you’ll make it work 

Well done mate big respect, I am 3 months in at about 75 customers, my current goal is to get to 100 then after that 200, you got you’re customer base up fast fair play ?

Last edited by a moderator:
All it takes to be successful in business is luck, attitude, right work ethos, supportive family etc
And simply the amount of EFFORT you put into your business or activity equates to the success you get...........no or little effort...little or no success..... More effort more success!!!!

Someone mentioned 'luck' and as someone once said - "the harder you work the luckier you become" 

It's great to hear so many positives on here from people who have a pride in their business. Window cleaning is a wonderful way to make a living and it can be very rewarding too. It makes me laugh how so many people think that it not a 'proper business' and perceive it to be very low paid too. It's the best decision I made to do this full time. 

Arnold Palmer the golfer had a sand bunker at his home in South Africa, and would spend hours on end practicing his bunker play. At one particular tournament he made a fantastic shot out of the bunker to inches from the pin. A spectator said "wow, that was one hell of a lucky shot  Arnie", to which Arnold replied " the more I practice those shots, the luckier I get"

Arnold Palmer the golfer had a sand bunker at his home in South Africa, and would spend hours on end practicing his bunker play. At one particular tournament he made a fantastic shot out of the bunker to inches from the pin. A spectator said "wow, that was one hell of a lucky shot  Arnie", to which Arnold replied " the more I practice those shots, the luckier I get"
Gary Player is from South Africa ?

Everybody who works hard always does better than the person sat on there back side!

I was out yesterday and today for a few hours. More you are out working the more people see you. Tomorrow I have to visit a house to quote for PW their driveway and other things like gutter clearing. I was clearing the church's gutter before mass and she saw me and asked for a quote. Luck, divine intervention, call it what you like but I know it all comes down to time spent doing the job. When women see you working, they get an urge from their curious mind to investigate and ask questions. I have found that out FWIW or its my resemblance to brad pitt.

Latest Posts

Back