Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hose gets all messed up when pulling out

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Louis

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips to avoid the following happening? I pull the hose out of the van and walk wherever with it, but when I stop the inner reel just carries on unreeling leaving it in a right old mess which often required pulling lots more out in order to fix the problem. I have tried using a lighter touch when pulling it out but its difficult to pull using a consistent force the whole time. 

I am considering going for electric reels at some point but I'm not sure this would sort it

May be a case of suck it up and accept it as a fact on window cleaning - any advice welcome

The picture is a mild case of what can happen but you get the jist.

20190731_090644.jpg

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips to avoid the following happening? I pull the hose out of the van and walk wherever with it, but when I stop the inner reel just carries on unreeling leaving it in a right old mess which often required pulling lots more out in order to fix the problem. I have tried using a lighter touch when pulling it out but its difficult to pull using a consistent force the whole time. 

I am considering going for electric reels at some point but I'm not sure this would sort it

May be a case of suck it up and accept it as a fact on window cleaning - any advice welcome

View attachment 17215

Thats is a waterworks reel isn’t it ??? You can get a over run kit as a modification it’s like a plastic headed bolt that just touches the reel side to prevent this happening, google waterworks website it’s on there as an accessory it’s now standard fitment  to there reels so I have been told 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

View attachment 17215

Looking at this picture again what hose is that ?? It looks like half inch garden hose ??? 

welcome to my world louis, both me and many others have found that when you pull the hose out don't be going at it hammer and tongs as the reel still keeps going and you get overspin,

you've got the key installed I see to slow the reel down, I've never used that as I found it easier to pull out the hose at a rate that matches the speed of the reel if that makes sense?.

all the electric reels are the same its just more the user needs to adapt to different ways and lordy combine that with hot water and it gets even worse.

I can see you've done some tweaks to the reel which is good, try not lubricating the bushes on both sides as without that they will create more friction to slow down the inertia 

welcome to my world louis, both me and many others have found that when you pull the hose out don't be going at it hammer and tongs as the reel still keeps going and you get overspin,

you've got the key installed I see to slow the reel down, I've never used that as I found it easier to pull out the hose at a rate that matches the speed of the reel if that makes sense?.

all the electric reels are the same its just more the user needs to adapt to different ways and lordy combine that with hot water and it gets even worse.

I can see you've done some tweaks to the reel which is good, try not lubricating the bushes on both sides as without that they will create more friction to slow down the inertia 
nope not all electric reels are the same mate....i use a pure freedom REELMASTER and i never get overspin(i use hot water too).....its also a far superior reel compared to the hd power up reel IMO......

Ah it has a name - overspin - good to know. I bought this van recently all kitted out from a retiree so don't know what anything is really, but have tightened the key bit you guys mentioned and it has indeed increased the friction and significantly reduced the overspin, thanks!!

Is there anyone on here that makes (cheaper) DIY electric hose reels? Met a guy the other day who said if he could go back and change anything about his business he'd get electric reels from the start, his shoulder is permanently ruined from reeling apparently!

I had the same problem. Sorted it. You need a small piece of nylon 8mm wide, pop it in the screw hole. Next get an M10 nut and tighten it up... that is basically what the overspin kit is. For the 8mm nylon you can buy an 8mm nylon screw on eBay for £1.79 and cut a small piece off.

Outside of that you could order the overspin kit for £7 although waterworks have said they will send it free if people cover postage. Not sure how that would sit if you didn’t buy it from them

Back