Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Univalve problem

chris70

Have univalve on 2 poles one is fine turns on off with one pull but other takes 4 or 5 pulls to turn off frustrating any ideas how to fix problem cheers

Have univalve on 2 poles one is fine turns on off with one pull but other takes 4 or 5 pulls to turn off frustrating any ideas how to fix problem cheers

Lol remove and throw in the bin ??.  Having had one I wouldn’t buy another , I don’t know what pole hose you are using but if there is much stretch in it that will cause problems , I had the same thing happen to mine a couple of times I just sprayed some dry lube in it and that seamed to cure the problem it could be “ dry” on the seals inside although it’s wet they can stick on the housing .

The O ring inside can be a bit like a squeegee blade. Used without a little lubricant (soap) they stick to the glass. As wfpers, we don't use soap in our water, so there needs to be some waterproof grease around the O ring in the Univalve. If it's worn off or become thick you need to clean it and re-grease it with a little silicone grease. I bought three when the first came on the market and I'm still using them. The only time mine have seriously acted up is if I've had the water pressure set too high in which case they won't turn back on once I've shut them off, or I've tried to force too much water through them, (flow rate set too high) in which case they have become difficult to turn off. The second one sounds a bit like what you are describing.

Try turning the flow rate down a little and see if that makes a difference to the one that's acting up

I had 2 and decided to replace the old one, which was working fine, with the new one on my main pole....put the old one on 2nd pole I use for other jobs.

The new one is a pig sometimes to turn off and on but the old one is still ok....same set up on both poles and same hose.

I've got 2 old ones that I need to look at, and a brand new one Thats leaked from day one. I spoke to the supplier and they said I have to send it back and wait for another one, cant do that as I haven't stripped down the old ones yet.

Sounds like the same problem I had recently........the very hot weather made my hose more stretchy, making it harder to open and close the valve.

Could it be that your working valve has a better quality hose attached?

Sounds like the same problem I had recently........the very hot weather made my hose more stretchy, making it harder to open and close the valve.

Could it be that your working valve has a better quality hose attached?
No, its the same hoses. I think it just clogged up a bit over the last couple of years. I am hoping a good clean and grease will re-new its glory days, I also hope a quick fiddle or o ring re-placement will sort the new leaky one.

Tried out the Gardiners twist one yesterday.....lasted for 2 houses....once using swivel gooseneck and once using fixed......as you move the brush about it switches itself off...it's in back of van if anybody local wants to try it out.

I’ve found that my Univalves are sensitive to both flow and pressure. Too much flow and I can’t turn them off, too much pressure and once off I can’t turn them back on. It’s a balancing act which with my current ones I have sussed. But I’m guessing by the sound of things that when I eventually have to replace them I’m likely going to have to re-balance my system 

Back