Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Strange request

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Blackbird1137

Had a few over the years - here's my top 4

Summer Sunday afternoon sat in grandstand at Brands.Text from PITA custie -"I'm in for an hour or so - you can come and do the windows if you like". No, I don't like!

August Bank Holiday Monday a few years back: chucking it down outside. Phone rings. "My gutter is overflowing, can you come and unblock it for me?" Err...nope!

Few weeks back. "Can you clean my gutters and soffits - I'll give you a couple of quid extra" Yippee now I can retire!

Years ago - "Can you come and do my windows Saturday?" "Sorry, got a family wedding to go to" " Well, can't you go later?" Yeah, I'm sure they'll understand!

Looking forward to hearing yours! 

Had a few over the years - here's my top 4

Summer Sunday afternoon sat in grandstand at Brands.Text from PITA custie -"I'm in for an hour or so - you can come and do the windows if you like". No, I don't like!

August Bank Holiday Monday a few years back: chucking it down outside. Phone rings. "My gutter is overflowing, can you come and unblock it for me?" Err...nope!

Few weeks back. "Can you clean my gutters and soffits - I'll give you a couple of quid extra" Yippee now I can retire!

Years ago - "Can you come and do my windows Saturday?" "Sorry, got a family wedding to go to" " Well, can't you go later?" Yeah, I'm sure they'll understand!

Looking forward to hearing yours! 

heres one from a few weeks back, word for word, still got the text ;  'Hi kevin,could you please just run your soapy brush over the top of my conservatory roof whilst your doing my back window please?'

Haha, I did laugh. thought she was being rude at first, wouldnt've minded but shes a good 70. had to explain its not a 5 minute job. Dunno where she got the idea it was soapy either. ?

Mines not a request but fits in.. I did a 1 off clean for a guy who rang me and asked for a quote for a 1 off window clean. Price given accepted and job done. I had an email that night saying thanks Chris the windows look great. However my wife notices you have missed the guttering and conservatory roof. It clearly states on the leaflet we had through our door these are services you do. I actually kept my reply polite and said yes they are Services I do but you asked for a window clean and that's what you got for 25 quid quoted. I wanted to say my plumbers van says new boilers installed but when I gave him 20 quid to fix my leaky tap he didn't put a new boiler in ??

heres one from a few weeks back, word for word, still got the text ;  'Hi kevin,could you please just run your soapy brush over the top of my conservatory roof whilst your doing my back window please?'

Haha, I did laugh. thought she was being rude at first, wouldnt've minded but shes a good 70. had to explain its not a 5 minute job. Dunno where she got the idea it was soapy either. ?

Got to watch old timers they know exactly what they're doing but think they can get their way by pretending to be old and daft. 

Seen it loads of times. 

Had a customer ask me last Christmas (week between Xmas and New Year), if I could clean their windows that week, as lots of family were coming round for New Year. I said "it's my week off and I'm not in the area". Asks me where I am. So I tell her I'm round the other side of the M25 with family. She says "If I give you an extra £10 to cover fuel, can you come and do them?"

Wtf...? 

Maybe a ton and we might've had a deal!

I had a call out boxing day once for a blocked downpipe ? 

also had a guy, do you work evenings?

No sorry

“can you do it saturday?”

Noo

“Sunday??”

? ya mad! 

As if i havent got a life like! 

Literally had one today, been cleaning next doors windows for about 4 years. He came over and said can you clean my windows today as a one off, and while you're at it can you "just" give the fascia and gutters a quick once over as well. Turned round fascia and gutters are green and a For Sale sign up, just said no chance for today, might be able to fit you in Friday and without looking it will be at least £100. He just looked at me and walked away muttering he had a viewing this afternoon. 

I turned up at an old girls house last summer and instantly heard the buzzing of what must of been over a thousand wasp whizzing around a rugby ball sized nest hanging off her soffit. 

I tapped on her door and explained obviously there’s no way I can clean her windows.

She replied ‘Oh I’ve been waiting to see you, please whack that down with your pole’ ???

One last month, that I already put up. 

Top floor apartment. Had to knock the door to go in to clean balcony windows. She said, if you leave the patio doors can you do the sky lites instead. Had a quick look as she was talking and saw a desk in front of one, and sofa under another. Nope!

i said I can do them next time if you can move the furniture for me so I have a clear run. She said “can’t you do them from the outside with a cherry picker?!!” Hahaha... luvit. 

Had a customer a few years back where I had to take the ladder behind the house to climb up and over some railing.

The railing was some botched DIY deal so when I rested my ladder on it it bent 10-20 cm.

After doing it a couple if times I said I wouldn't climb up any more as I didn't feel it was safe. And didn't want to break neither the rail or myself.

"But my husband built and says it's plenty safe!"

Yeah, no thanks love.

The one that tops it all personally for me was when I got offered a cuppa by a gentleman in his 70’s. When ready, instead of bringing it out he said “your tea is ready in the kitchen - just come in When ready!”

went in, then he remarked on my t-shirt. Then my work trousers and asked where I bought them. He then tugged my belt and said “do they come off easy?!!” ?????

It was such a shame, cos’ I’d cleaned him for years, knew he was ***, but was such a lovely gentleman besides. Always very polite, and a real old-school gentleman, & for his age looked after himself well. I just said “leave it out, mate” and with that his face went as white as a sheet, and started shaking in fear. Very soon after  I heard he lost his marbles and ended up in a home. I reckon that incident tipped his brain. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's shocking. I know windys are looked at like pond life by some people but that's a whole new level of contempt.
Yeh Im sure some of em see us as the 4th emergency service. Shame we dont get the same recognition and admiration as the fire service though (tongue in cheek of course) After all, we both use pressured water power and climb etc ?

@ks789 I had a custy get locked out yesterday - opened up his front door, came out to show me round and slam. Luckily he had left his back gate padlock unlocked but it was half way down the other side of the gate. Naturally with the telescopic ladder and window pole i managed to reach over and unhook the padlock and unlock his gate for him otherwise he would have been in a pickle.

The things you can get a window cleaner to do these days eh?!

@ks789 I had a custy get locked out yesterday - opened up his front door, came out to show me round and slam. Luckily he had left his back gate padlock unlocked but it was half way down the other side of the gate. Naturally with the telescopic ladder and window pole i managed to reach over and unhook the padlock and unlock his gate for him otherwise he would have been in a pickle.

The things you can get a window cleaner to do these days eh?!
This reminds me of my best ones

10pm on a saturday night, ring ring. Hiii my partners gone and locked us out of the flat hes stuck on the balcony and im in the street, can you come and lend us your long ladder pleeeeease? Nooo chance love.

and the other one at 3am ring ring...incheck waaay we’re in a taxi come in to town and party with us!! Youre off your rocker goodnight!

rang her back at 7 am the next morning “uughh, uugghh, uugghh” 

paybacks a mother lol

i now make use of do not disturb between scheduled hours

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of my best ones

10pm on a saturday night, ring ring. Hiii my partners gone and locked us out of the flat hes stuck on the balcony and im in the street, can you come and lend us your long ladder pleeeeease? Nooo chance love.

and the other one at 3am ring ring...incheck waaay we’re in a taxi come in to town and party with us!! Youre off your rocker goodnight!

rang her back at 7 am the next morning “uughh, uugghh, uugghh” 

paybacks a mother lol

i now make use of do not disturb between scheduled hours

Luckily my windy number is on a second sim card in a dual sim phone. I was incredibly thankful for this one night when one of my custys decided she'd try to ring me at 11pm. Not knowing what she wanted (and not wanting to get dragged into a favour every other day scenario - she's elderly) I waited for it to stop ringing and then turned off the sim in case she tried again. Job done. Most nights i still turn it off but i forget to turn it back on in the mornings which has probably cost me a few enquiries.

Had one today clean a few houses in the road and a lad pulls up in a van says do I do solar panels? Yes but depends how high. Go around and have a look. He's got a viewing as its up for rent alarm bells ringing straight away. Shows me the panels 12 intotal plus 2 sky lights and a town syle house. Then goes on to add can you just wipe down the gutters and soffits too and can I remove all the paint over spray on the patio doors!! Well thats gonna need scrapping off for starters! Bearing in mind I had a full days work booked in had been working since 8am and it's now 30 degree plus! I was like no chance I can just do it today I'm off at 3pm. You need to ring and book in for when I'm back around in 6 weeks. And not sure my pole will reach the solar panels. Carnt you just climb up and do it off the ladder lol I'm like we'll would you? He's like God it's like applying for a mortgage all the questions ha i said your looking at £250 as it will be a fulldays work!! I didn't want the job or need it but nice to see his face when I told him ha. He's rang me twice since I've got home but I've ignored it don't need that sort of work. 

Had two corkers yesterday- first was at the end of a massive first clean (6 hours!). The woman comes out with her grandson as she’s going out. Asked her if she’s happy with the windows (they were sparkling) ‘I can’t focus at the moment as I can’t concentrate when he’s with me (grandson) I’ve got to go otherwise I will be late, can you water the tomatoes for me before you go as I don’t have time and they will die if you don’t’ - hilarious ? I obviously I didn’t water the tomatoes!!!

got to the next job - another first clean, just as I was finishing (just gone 6pm) the neighbour comes round and says what a great job I’ve done ‘can you come and do mine before you go home - they won’t take long’, I was surprisingly polite when I pointed out I’d already been here 2 hours and would like to get home. I told her I’d be back in 6 weeks told her the price (she went pale) and she continued to ask if I could fit her in for a one off now. Told her I don’t do one offs and it would be an hourly rate, she was walking off as was telling her how much it would be. Funniest thing about this one was I heard her talking to her husband as she got in - she told him I was too busy and wasn’t taking on any more customers!!

This afternoon any request was one i couldn’t cope with ? they wernt unreasonable, just one that came at an inconvenient time. I’m currently trying to keep up with two peoples work as my brother had a leg injury in football so i happen to be on my tod for the time being.

today, full hit on a large semi with extension, gutters cleared, fsg + windows, done by 1:30 happy days.

had another large detached house to clean the windows on afterwards.

anyway, left the first house and it all went wrong from there. Nearly met my end choking on a bacon sandwich, had i not had a drink to hand im sure i would have been a gonner as i could feel myself passing out as i grabbed the flask for dear life.

then i decided to take a shortcut through country lanes to get to the second job. Big mistake. Some foreign fella got a big 18 wheeler & a flatbed full of timber & steel wedged in the lanes, he was well and truly stuck. Sat nav must have taken him the wrong way. His english was pretty poor. Anyway, traffic started building up. I was sat there for over half an hour pulling my hair out. He was smashing the lorry to bits on the trees above reversing then forward and so on and so on. Then they decided to whip the straps off and started unloading all the building materials off the flat bed. By this point wed all had enough. We all started reversing in single file up the country lanes. I hit a tree trying to do a 3 point turn ? eventually came across a driveway and we all used that in turn ti turn around. There was a big motorhome in the mix ? so then the sat nav redirects me through even narrower country lanes and the van started making some horrendous creaking and moaning noises. Eventually Arrived at the house an hour late, the van in one piece. As soon as i got out of the cab a lady came up “ooo you do window cleaning i see, can you quote me for...points to a very big detached house” i nearly passed out. 

Shes like whats up? Told her my story, shes like woah lad breathe now breaaathe. Trying to get me to do all this inhale exhale stuff shes obviously an expert on ( by this point i thought i was going mad ) but it did actually calm me down. Had to hand her a card and said to call me in a month when i may actually have time to look at it never mind doing it ? bless her heart.

How things can go so wrong in one little hour aye.....

Back