Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

shurflo pump not sucking water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Squeaky Clean Windows

Hi i've just fitted my shurflo pump and controller into van and at the moment until i get my tank i'm just using 25l drums and putting hose into each drum as i go however after starting pump for the first time with controller the pump isn't sucking any water the pump is working just no water coming through can anyone help? Thanks

You could try disconnecting the hose going into the reel, holding the end high and pouring water back towards the pump in the hope of re-priming it. Or possibly sucking the water through from the same end to get it flowing. Both methods have worked for me in the past. Be very careful though not to get any water into your lungs. 

Good luck. 

Have you connected the pump the right way around - inlet on the inlet side? There is an arrow on the pump head indicating direction of flow.

I have a new Shurflo pump sitting on the shelf for about 6 years. When I fitted it into the 'new' van it wouldn't pump water either. I had to strip it and free off the non return valve inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else to consider. As long as you are using barrels and going from barrel to barrel I would recommend using as small a bore hose on the intake side as possible. I’d recommend trying a hose with an 8mm ID. Reason is that the more volume there is inside this hose the more difficult it is for the pump to pick up water and clear an airlock. Also as Davy G says, disconnect the hose from your reel whilst priming the pump so that the pump doesn’t have to work to push air or water through the reel at the same time as trying to create enough vacuum to pick up water from your barrels.

Have you connected the pump the right way around - inlet on the inlet side? There is an arrow on the pump head indicating direction of flow.

I have a new Shurflo pump sitting on the shelf for about 6 years. When I fitted it into the 'new' van it wouldn't pump water either. I had to strip it and free off the non return valve inside.
Hi Spruce i bought this pump second hand but the guy i bought it from said it was a new pump i have had it sat around for about a year and only fitted it today so could be the valve you mention? its connected up right inlet and outlet in direction of arrow on pump, how do i free this non return valve you mention? thanks

Something else to consider. As long as you are using barrels and going from barrel to barrel I would recommend using as small a bore hose on the intake side as possible. I’d recommend trying a hose with an 8mm ID. Reason is that the more volume there is inside this hose the more difficult it is for the pump to pick up water and clear an airlock. Also as Davy G says, disconnect the hose from your reel whilst priming the pump so that the pump doesn’t have to work to push air or water through the reel at the same time as trying to create enough vacuum to pick up water from your barrels.
Hi Marko i'm using 1/2" hose for inlet from barrels to pump and the same output to reel. I will try priming it with the hose disconnecetd from reel also. Thanks 

Sounds like your problem may just be that you haven’t disconnected your hose from the reel. This is important for the reason I mentioned earlier. Just a tip, when you disconnect it make sure the connection you’re using doesn’t have a water stop feature built into it otherwise it won’t make any difference. You’ll need to open it somehow like maybe plugging a ‘male to male’ adapter into it. Seems obvious I know but I’ve been caught out by this myself after I fitted a new Hozelock connector.

The first thing I would do @Squeaky Clean Windows is to remove the prefilter from the pump and screw on a 1/2" Hozelok tap connector.

Then connect your garden hose up to that with a Hozelok hose connector. Very slowly turn your tap on so you get a small amount of water coming out. The pressure in the hose should unseat the non return valve. I've just done it as a test now.

The option I chose was to strip the head off with the 6 screws and freeing up the non return valve with my thumb. You have to be careful to not damage any components inside. You also need to take note of those screws. 3 are longer than the other 3 so you need put them back in the right places.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have had the pump sat for a year the diaphragm is more than likely dried out. When you have a new pump it will have end caps on it to keep a bit of water inside.

Connect the pump to your tap then run it which will then wet the diaphragm, this will hopefully resolve it.  

The first thing I would do @Squeaky Clean Windows is to remove the prefilter from the pump and screw on a 1/2" Hozelok tap connector.

Then connect your garden hose up to that with a Hozelok hose connector. Very slowly turn your tap on so you get a small amount of water coming out. The pressure in the hose should unseat the non return valve. I've just done it as a test now.

The option I chose was to strip the head off with the 6 screws and freeing up the non return valve with my thumb. You have to be careful to not damage any components inside. You also need to take note of those screws. 3 are longer than the other 3 so you need put them back in the right places.
Thanks Spruce going to try the hosepipe first if no luck will try and free the valve myself as you mention here. 

As you have had the pump sat for a year the diaphragm is more than likely dried out. When you have a new pump it will have end caps on it to keep a bit of water inside.

Connect the pump to your tap then run it which will then wet the diaphragm, this will hopefully resolve it.  
Thanks Doug when i got the pump it had no end caps so no water in it.  Will try the hosepipe through it first see if this sorts it thanks

SCW, did you get it sorted? 
Davy g yep the pump is working fine now plugged hose pipe up to it and ran the hose for a while with pump running on full and the pump is fine i was however still getting airlocks from the drums so have now ordered my tank and will be fitting that when it arrives then hopefully no airlocks and will have my van system up and running with no problems finger crossed. Thanks to everyone who for the help this forum is a godsend.

Hey! glad you managed to sort it out. I think you're right in getting a tank. You should hopefully have a lot less trouble with airlocks with it. 

Thanks for telling us how you sorted it. ??

Back