Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
Camberley Window Cleaning

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

Davit
2 hours ago, Camberley Window Cleaning said:

Does anyone have a trusty supplier with a good price?

Vistaprint is good, but lately I've been using InstantPrint for thick 'card type' flyers if you know what I mean.

https://www.instantprint.co.uk/

They have been flawless, very happy with the quality and delivery time 👍

I'm sure they were recommended to me by someone on here, though I forget who.

Part Timer
21 minutes ago, Davit said:

I'm sure they were recommended to me by someone on here, though I forget who.

Probably have been @Iron Giantas he's a cheapskate, @sprucewill make his own and @Pjjare made from silk. Any way as the legend that's @steve garwoodseems to be awol it's pub time 🍺

MCWC

Well done Camberley I am roughly the same have 23 regular custys and have been using a DIY trolley system and as u said about the backpack yes it needs upgrading but jist doesn't seen sensible as don't have the income to justify the spend on it

I may have reffered to before but I don't remember but in regards to the taking of other window cleaners customers I agree and disagree with this 

I personally will not go out to steal someone else's customers by undercutting them purposely but if I give a quote and they r happy with it then I go with it

Although when I canvass I usually say something along the lines of hi I'm MCWC I'm a window cleaner in the area do u have a window cleaner...... 

Would u like to have a regular window cleaner 

Even was speaking with other local window cleaners one morning and wanted to let them know that I had started and wasn't out to take their customers but if asked for a quote would give one they were fine with it

Although this week has been hard things started to go wrong, parts breaking, first customer loss, really busy at other job just as enquires started picking up got the cold

When I came home yesterday with a broken gooseneck and jets sneezing and coughing felt like packing it all in there and then for a hot bath and some Beecham lol but I remembered the difference a month made last month was just getting over the regular 10 mark and its doubled since so hopefully that trend keeps up get too 100 before spring and then maybe go full time in to this game

Edited by MCWC

Davy G
1 hour ago, Dino said:

Well done on your progress so far.  I only started in June and now have just over 65 customers.  I think I have dropped about 14, mostly none payers.  So take the rough with the smooth.  I got disheartened when I got my first few messers but after a while things come right.  Just expect to get through a lot of time wasters.  

For canvassing I just use vista print.  I knock the door, if they are not in I put a leaflet through the door.  I am still getting business from people phoning up 2 months after I dropped leaflets.  I am starting to manage my customers expectations, its a juggling act but I enjoy it.  

Regarding the earlier comments about taking other window cleaners work.  In 2 months I have had a couple of walk ups asking for price comparisons.  I owe nobody any favours I will always quote.  I know one guy tried to undercut me.  If the customer wants to pay less then who needs them eh?  Lets face it, with constant canvassing you can replace them.  I see my round like a bucket with a hole in it where customers drip out the bottom of my round and I gotta keep topping up the bucket.  Its all about the bucket....keep it full!!! 

Good way of putting it. Eventually the filling of the bucket will be faster than the emptying and the quality of the contents (customers) will be better. 

Good for you. 🙂👍

Incheck

Nice to see so many windies looking out for each other some great words on here 😊

ks789
38 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Good way of putting it. Eventually the filling of the bucket will be faster than the emptying and the quality of the contents (customers) will be better. 

Good for you. 🙂👍

And I guess often, a newcomer to the game will end up with the dregs to start with, picking up cast-offs and odd-jobs that none of the established firms want. However, this dont have to be bad. Often, those reject jobs can turn out to be great. If they are a nightmare job, price it well and alls fine.

Davy G
45 minutes ago, ks789 said:

And I guess often, a newcomer to the game will end up with the dregs to start with, picking up cast-offs and odd-jobs that none of the established firms want. However, this dont have to be bad. Often, those reject jobs can turn out to be great. If they are a nightmare job, price it well and alls fine.

You're right. It's tough starting out but once we get through that we've learned a lot, toughened a bit and learnt to read potential customers a bit better. Plus we've gained a bit of business and income to build on.  

Incheck

Being a backpack operation ourselves we do a bit of work that guys with tank fitted systems dont want (back or terraces) i suggest you put it out there that you can do the back of terraces, its a good little gap in the market to capitalize on. As soon as people in terraces know they’ll be bouncing with excitement. 

Just price it well as it can be a pain (watch out for cream carpets) in hallways in particular. I try and make sure only go through if its hard floors that can be easily mopped. Also parking is often not convenient in streets of terraces. 

Still. If youre hungry for work. Look in to it dude. Hope it goes well for you. I would definitely look in to getting a van asap

Iron Giant
11 hours ago, Dino said:

Well done on your progress so far.  I only started in June and now have just over 65 customers.  I think I have dropped about 14, mostly none payers.  So take the rough with the smooth.  I got disheartened when I got my first few messers but after a while things come right.  Just expect to get through a lot of time wasters.  

For canvassing I just use vista print.  I knock the door, if they are not in I put a leaflet through the door.  I am still getting business from people phoning up 2 months after I dropped leaflets.  I am starting to manage my customers expectations, its a juggling act but I enjoy it.  

Regarding the earlier comments about taking other window cleaners work.  In 2 months I have had a couple of walk ups asking for price comparisons.  I owe nobody any favours I will always quote.  I know one guy tried to undercut me.  If the customer wants to pay less then who needs them eh?  Lets face it, with constant canvassing you can replace them.  I see my round like a bucket with a hole in it where customers drip out the bottom of my round and I gotta keep topping up the bucket.  Its all about the bucket....keep it full!!! 

I do like a good walk up, I had one the other day, who quickly turned on her heels after I told her the price, all fur coat and no knickers me thinks with some in new houses and nice cars on the drive. I do like a good analogy, just got to keep on going and you will soon hit your end goal

11 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Probably have been @Iron Giantas he's a cheapskate, @sprucewill make his own and @Pjjare made from silk. Any way as the legend that's @steve garwoodseems to be awol it's pub time 🍺

images.jpg

iconic

I’ve been going since 2005 in the Farnham, Alton area. 

I grew up in sandhurst near Camberley. 

There have been LOADS of new startups in the area - and lots of companies from other areas come this way because it’s fairly affluent. 

That said we are still picking up new work on a daily basis without even trying so there is plenty of work still out there. 

Andy

MCWC

Hey everyone I'm sure thst this has been covered in other areas but can't seem to find something with direct correlation 

Anyway my water from the tap given me a reading of under 70tds usually 66

Im currently using a small ro system I 75gpd as I don't think my customer base Warren's buying a 500gpd system as I'm using no where near thst amount roughly 2/400 ltrs a week slowly getting more 

Anyway its taking so long to fill my barrels I mean soooooo looooooong

Is there a quicker alternative that I could use as I'm still working full time and then going out to clean windows and then having to stay up forever to refill the barrels

All advice welcome

Thanks in advance

High-tower

Fill into a storage tank of some kind over night or whatever, then just pump with a submersible pump into your barrels in a few minutes.

Part Timer

With the small amount you use and relatively low tds you should really be DI only. Especially if you're on a meter. 

MCWC

No no meter yet in NI I'm sure it's coming though 

Would I be going through resin quickly though or for using so little would it last a while as I wouldn't want to be buying resin every other week would be cheaper to get the big ro system would it not

Part Timer
7 hours ago, MCWC said:

No no meter yet in NI I'm sure it's coming though 

Would I be going through resin quickly though or for using so little would it last a while as I wouldn't want to be buying resin every other week would be cheaper to get the big ro system would it not

If you're only using 400 litres a week a 25kg bag of resin should last approximately 28 weeks. I'm assuming you have a decent sized DI vessel 

https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/resin-calculator-34-w.asp

ks789

Im only using 200/250 litres a week, but when I started I presumed I'd be using that much a day, so i bought the 40/21. Low water pressure so needed the booster pump too, so quite  pricey all in. Only takes a couple of hours a week to get that though.

When I started I presumed it would be as simple to get customers as it was when I'd done it 16 odd years back, but certainly was a lot harder. Even so, If I'd known I would probably still have got the 40/21 as I couldnt handle doing overnight etc to get the water.

MCWC

I have a 25l di vessel just waiting I bought before and never used as I'm using the 75gpd ro which has a 1l di filter at the end of the filtration process

But if the 25l resin lasted nearly 30 weeks that's worth looking I to like 6 months worth and would it be much quicker than the current method feels like 3 hours for a 25l barrel

mike007
On 06/08/2019 at 09:44, scottish cleaning service said:

Exactly, look at me for instance. I was laughed off this forum because I only had 20 customers. I have been going only 2yrs and never looked for any customers. I just take one day at a time because I have other odd-jobs to do. Yesterday I picked up 2 bungalows at 15 each a month. First thing I tell the customer is that I am not cheap but I am good, reliable and trustworthy, now I have 80 customers and it takes me nearly a week to get round them all. I have found the best way to get new customers is when one is out doing the job on a Saturday, that's when I get new enquires. :1f609:

I would never mention the word "cheap" in a conversation with a customer about my services, and when asked about a price i always say "it will only be £***.", or "I can do it for just £*** "

ks789
3 minutes ago, MCWC said:

I have a 25l di vessel just waiting I bought before and never used as I'm using the 75gpd ro which has a 1l di filter at the end of the filtration process

But if the 25l resin lasted nearly 30 weeks that's worth looking I to like 6 months worth and would it be much quicker than the current method feels like 3 hours for a 25l barrel

Yes is prob better in your situation. As my tap tds is 530 I have to use Ro. Also remember your resin is still good when it goes up to 4 or 5, some use it even longer than that.

mike007
On 06/08/2019 at 17:01, Tango said:

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.

What about your financial collapse?. And have you ever thought you could be providing that customer with the service she wants that is better than the one being provided already?.

On 06/08/2019 at 17:01, Tango said:

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.

What about your financial collapse?. And have you ever thought you could be providing that customer with the service she wants that is better than the one being provided already?.

MCWC

OK thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it will invest in some resin and then hopefully that solves the speed issue

One more thing I'm getting a lot of requests for insides recently and didn't really want to do it but because of custys having to be there for cleans but because I have said I only do outsides I've lost potential customers

Would you do insides and what would the charges be I was thinking of going to buy some kit for i sides when buying the resin as I'm just starting want to get as much customers as possible but don't want to make a habit of doing insides. 

mike007
On 20/09/2019 at 18:54, Davy G said:

Good for you. 🙂👍

And the better and more established you become, the less holes

Part Timer
18 minutes ago, MCWC said:

OK thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it will invest in some resin and then hopefully that solves the speed issue

One more thing I'm getting a lot of requests for insides recently and didn't really want to do it but because of custys having to be there for cleans but because I have said I only do outsides I've lost potential customers

Would you do insides and what would the charges be I was thinking of going to buy some kit for i sides when buying the resin as I'm just starting want to get as much customers as possible but don't want to make a habit of doing insides. 

I know certain people would say stick to outside only as internal work is a pita. However if you are losing work, work that will help you get established, then I personally would do it. 

When you're established you can then drop the internals. Price wise anything up to double the external price. Always insist that they clear the sills before you do them, so ask them when you turn up and do the outside first. 

DI only it will take you a few minutes to fill each of your 25l containers. 

dmw

Inside work is a double edged sword, I do the inside of a care home every month and whist in summer it can be pretty hot and unpleasant, but last week when it was absolutely hammering it down it was quiet nice looking out at the horrible weather while I worked.

mike007

Only internals I do is the occasional kitchen window over the sink for a few of my older customers (free of charge), 

dazmond
7 minutes ago, mike007 said:

Only internals I do is the occasional kitchen window over the sink for a few of my older customers (free of charge), 

same.......although when i first started id clean anything......insides,gutter clearing,etc.....now i dont offer anything apart from outside window cleaning and the occasional add on job(UPVC,conny roof,solar panel cleans).....

ive only ever lost one job in 26 years because i refused to clean insides......and they took me back on 6 months ago after 5 years of using another window cleaner!(i still dont clean their inside windows though!)👍

MCWC
6 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I know certain people would say stick to outside only as internal work is a pita. However if you are losing work, work that will help you get established, then I personally would do it. 

When you're established you can then drop the internals. Price wise anything up to double the external price. Always insist that they clear the sills before you do them, so ask them when you turn up and do the outside first. 

DI only it will take you a few minutes to fill each of your 25l containers. 

Thank you part timer really appreciate your help I was thinking along those lines myself need to get some booties to cover my shoes though after doing the outside 

wezza13

For interiors, initial cleans are double what the outside is as it tends to include scraping the glass and taking a long time on them. Semi-regular are done at price and a half of the outside windows. And oes that we do every visit are the same as the exterior price. 

Also, we insist that the window sills are clear or there is a charge of £1 per item.

MCWC

I think the general consensus is take the money wherever its coming fro mat the start and then refine my services when I can afford to

wezza13
4 minutes ago, MCWC said:

Thank you part timer really appreciate your help I was thinking along those lines myself need to get some booties to cover my shoes though after doing the outside 

I carry a nice, clean pair of trainers that I use for interiors.