Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Switching from flocked to mono brush?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

paul1

Thinking of switching from my usual flocked brushes for regular cleans to mono. Anyone had issues with scratching or anything especially on pvc n doors etc? Cheers 

My most used brush is a Gardiner Xtreme. I was using the natural hybrid version which I found suited my work very well, However, I've been trialling the Dupont Natural mix since last August and it's even better. However, it's not in production yet. The Xtreme's are not everyones favourite brush, perhaps due to the very light weight, but I love mine. I do however, swap to a flocked Ultimate if I've got any older leaded work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with fibreglass poles and heavy Vikan brushes. The brushes were mono but very dense, so rightly, or more than likely wrongIy, I felt that with the density, they were probably similar in use to flocked. I was not confident that they would allow all the dirt to drain down through the bristles when I rinsed on the glass, which I always do, no matter what type of glass or window. For the past three or four years I have been using only Gardiner Medium Mixed Sill Brushes for everything : all types of glass and windows, gutter, fascia, cladding, conservatory. I now use 100 degree fan jets as well. We use water which is heated with a 2kw immersion, up to a temperature in the tank, of 60C in the winter 30C in the summer. The brushes work fine for us and last a long time. Though they can lose a bit of stiffness with the heated water my son and I don't feel the need to change as long as they remain available. 

We've had no issues at all with scratches on windows, tinted glass, conservatory roofs or doors. 

To be fair, if mono brushes scratched glass then surely no-one would be either making them or using them.
I'd be thinking the same. Though the monos can sound a bit fierce on some plastic and other front doors, especially when they're new. I did have one customer come out in a panic at the noise, but no damage of course. ?

I prefer DuPont bristles as they are softer so a balance between the two, I have noticed some very light swirl marks on some black garage doors I do, although they are barely visible and only in bright sunshine 

Interesting topic this though, as thinking about it I do have 1 brush I'm not 100% about.

I have an X-line Dupont brush that is very stiff, I cut the bristles down shorter so I could use a rinse bar on it. I clean my windows fairly often and have noticed a couple of scratches here and there that I haven't seen before. This X-line brush is very aggressive and does a great job and bird muck etc, but it does sound almost like its scratching the glass. Whenever I look I see nothing, but I do wander where the scratches on my windows have come from?

Could it be that when being made the bristle tips are "engineered" not to scratch? Then when I cut the tips off I made the bristles more aggressive? Do the bristle tips wear down and soften over time? 

Maybe Alex Gardiner could tell us more?

Back