Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rinsing "ON" ?????????????

paul alan

I just read a post about a guy who always rinses on no matter what the glass type, who else does this?

No matter how I try to rinse on whenever I check the glass 5 times out of 10 its unsatisfactory, especially hydrophobic glass. I always get sideways spotting from the bristle tips or random spots throughout the pane.

I have tried all different ways and cant get decent results, I have even tried the Alex Gardiner technique on his video where he builds up a head of water first then pulls the brush down quickly.

I hear other guys on here talk about rinsing on all the time but it doesn't work for me or maybe I'm too picky when checking work but if I can see it then so can a customer. . The odd spot isn't a huge problem on most houses, but some houses you cant have a single one.

Is it possible to rinse "on" on all types of glass and get 99% results? I can only achieve that by rinsing off with 2/3 - 3/4 strength flow. I like the idea of being able to rinse on but would I have to take a hit in the results department as a sacrifice for ease?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve tried rinsing on the glass but for me it simply doesn’t cut the mustard. Also there  are nearly always bigger bits of dirt that need rinsing off. I use a 2lpm flow rate but still find I get best results giving a quick rinse off the glass.

I think it’s something people use to be quicker. I’m sure Greenproclean rinses on?

I rinse on a lot of the time especially on my 4 weekly route but certainly not 100% of the time. It depends to a large degree how dirty they are to start off with. If we've had a lot of strong winds between visits for example there will be debris lying around and caught in cobwebs that will collect in the brush bristles and inevitably some of it will transfer to the glass whilst scrubbing. Then I find I do more rinsing off the glass and use more water. Most of the time I can read the signs as I'm going along and just switch between methods as and when needed. 

I rinse on all hydrophilic glass and not had any issues or complaints, I've only got little arms so for me it's far easier, I am a little unsure about hydrophobic glass, but I am pretty certain @Dave B always rinses on no matter the type of glass.

I rinse on with most bathroom windows and frosted glass.

After watching one of Green Pro Clean's 'maintenance clean videos' I have also experimented on my own windows with rinsing on, the results seem to range from B+ to C.  If I could always get B+ I would start using it on all windows.  Interesting to read the responses on this thread.

I rinse on all hydrophilic glass and not had any issues or complaints, I've only got little arms so for me it's far easier, I am a little unsure about hydrophobic glass, but I am pretty certain @Dave B always rinses on no matter the type of glass.
Pretty much unless it's a first clean or 1 off type dirty job

I have my flow on full on my backpack so about 60+ on a van mount and the amount of water running down the glass is what rinses it well

I always rinse on, no matter type of glass. With the 25 feet pole I use the swivel to do a big sweeping motion similar to trad work. With the 47+ pole without a swivel I do a more simple sideways motion.

With large visible decree I sometimes lift one side of the brush to get a bit more water flow.

I find the Dupont and the Xtreme brushes works the best. And always 100 degree jets.

Never had any problem with that.

I rinse on at real high height with a Gardiner rinse bar and crank up the flow - but for most of my work I’m using my modified tucker with the close together inwards pencil jets that you pointed me toward @paul alan (thanks a lot ) and it works amazingly well - I don’t wanna use anything else now bc I’m always pleased with the clean finish it gives. Would be curious to find a really good way of rinsing on the glass but for my coastal cleans I just tend to find a lot of left over muck when I rinse on

Last edited by a moderator:
I rinse on at real high height with a Gardiner rinse bar and crank up the flow - but for most of my work I’m using my modified tucker with the close together inwards pencil jets that you pointed me toward @paul alan (thanks a lot ) and it works amazingly well - I don’t wanna use anything else now bc I’m always pleased with the clean finish it gives. Would be curious to find a really good way of rinsing on the glass but for my coastal cleans I just tend to find a lot of left over muck when I rinse on
It's quite a brush that tucker, I had the boars hair one on today. I love the feel of it on the glass, and it moves the muck so well.

I wouldn't mind adding a full boars hair to the collection, I like the 18" ones too. Delivery from America though...nah.

IMO for rinsing on you need a high flow,stiff mono brush and clean(ish) windows that sheet(hydrophilic)to leave a good finish.....its too easy to leave brush marks/bits of dirt on the glass if you use flocked brushes,a lower flow and hydrophobic windows.....

You can't rinse on with hydrophobic glass and hope for great results every time. 

I've tried rinsing on, off, rinse bars, fan jets etc and it is no faster than 2 good old pencil jets and lots of flow. 

Flow is key, I use the 7lpm vyair pumps without a controller...so flat out. 

I see plenty of cleaners pratting about with low flow rates, get the thing whacked right up 

Latest Posts

Back