Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Softwashing Guide

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SureShot

So with help of various members on here over the last week or so, I'm out of the starting blocks with the pressure washing, so thanks again to all who tolerated my extreme noobiness ? Obviously I've still plenty to learn, so now it's softwashing advice I'm after. I've read through the forum extensively (also scoured YouTube) but I've a few burning questions..

It seems using a backpack is the popular choice for getting the hypo down, or even bucket and brush. Here comes the noobie question - Can't I just use my pressure washer to do this on low pressure? On the washer I have the thin, standard detergent inlet just before hose outlet so am wondering why more people aren't using this. Easy answer to this now doubt.

Cheers

If you want to do that you need to downstream (inject chemical after the pump)

You need to buy a downstream injector which fits between the pump and the pressure washing hose

Them you use the black tip and low revs to draw chemical through the hose

You don't get a big concentration of hypo etc through it so you need to work out how strong to mix it in your barrel/bucket to get the desired strength from the lance

If you want to do that you need to downstream (inject chemical after the pump)

You need to buy a downstream injector which fits between the pump and the pressure washing hose

Them you use the black tip and low revs to draw chemical through the hose

You don't get a big concentration of hypo etc through it so you need to work out how strong to mix it in your barrel/bucket to get the desired strength from the lance
Hi Dave, thanks for clarifying. I have the Clarke PLS195.. isn't the chemical inlet the one there with the clear hose attached to it? If it is then is it already "after the pump" as its directly before the main hose outlet? Or am I way off? 

D001CBA1-B226-40B1-B575-0D08536E9DCE-large.jpg

That's the one

Manual says 7:1 ratio

Also says rinse out after use by dropping end into clean water and running

Screenshot_20190807-194128_Drive.jpg

Hi Dave, thanks for clarifying. I have the Clarke PLS195.. isn't the chemical inlet the one there with the clear hose attached to it? If it is then is it already "after the pump" as its directly before the main hose outlet? Or am I way off? 

View attachment 17279

Dont put hypo through that you will kill the seals in the pump in a very short time only way to do it with a pressure washer is downstreaming as has already been said , but I wouldn’t recommend it hypo is strong stuff and you don’t want it drifting all over the place a back pack is the best way ahead if you are just starting out costs about £115 first job will more than pay for it , just flush it through with water after should last about 3 years like this we di loads of softwashing and this is the cheapest and best way to start off 

Dont put hypo through that you will kill the seals in the pump in a very short time only way to do it with a pressure washer is downstreaming as has already been said , but I wouldn’t recommend it hypo is strong stuff and you don’t want it drifting all over the place a back pack is the best way ahead if you are just starting out costs about £115 first job will more than pay for it , just flush it through with water after should last about 3 years like this we di loads of softwashing and this is the cheapest and best way to start off 
Ok thanks PJJ, I was just looking for a "Quicker" way to get the hypo down really and hoping it was doable with the washer as it is. But I'll go with your advice as it seems to match the general consensus and obviously I don't want to wreck the washer.

Humour my inexperience a sec though, just for my own understanding.. is it the seals in the hose outlet that will get damaged, seeing as that's the only part of the washer the hypo would pass if it came in through the inbuilt injector?

Cheers

As far as ime aware that pick up pipe will put the chemical through the pump , when I bought my machine I was told not to put anything other than a soap mix through that pick up as it would damage the seals in the pump  , check with the company that you bought it from but you don’t want to damage the seals as it will be expensive to repair 

As far as ime aware that pick up pipe will put the chemical through the pump , when I bought my machine I was told not to put anything other than a soap mix through that pick up as it would damage the seals in the pump  , check with the company that you bought it from but you don’t want to damage the seals as it will be expensive to repair 
Fair enough, say no more then, backpack it is.

Cheers

have a look at the x jet which is a downstreamer, one of the better bits I've bought over the years and is handy for both pressure washing and soft washing ok, its quite expensive but for me has paid for itself many many times over in time saving and just ease of use its one of those tools where, when you have it you wonder how you ever coped with a backpack or watering can etc, don't get me wrong though i'll still use a back pack when the job is small and doesn't warrant unpacking the pressure washer just horses for courses really

have a look at the x jet which is a downstreamer, one of the better bits I've bought over the years and is handy for both pressure washing and soft washing ok, its quite expensive but for me has paid for itself many many times over in time saving and just ease of use its one of those tools where, when you have it you wonder how you ever coped with a backpack or watering can etc, don't get me wrong though i'll still use a back pack when the job is small and doesn't warrant unpacking the pressure washer just horses for courses really

How exactly does it work? does it just go onto the end of the lance and the hose draws from a barrel? I've just spent £350 + VAT on a softwash pump box set up and I think one of these could of done the same or even a better job ?

hi doddy, yes it just connects to the end of the lance and draws from a barrell, I think I mentioned before that it covers a two car block paved driveway in around twenty to thirty seconds I feels about that kinda time ?.

its good for pre-wetting too does that in the same amount of time and for rinsing off although that does take longer as you'll know.

its not the best for roofs as it'll not spray that high although bungalows are do able- I don't have the biggest/best or most powerfull washer on the market hence me saying that

it has an adjustable nozzle so you can have a jet or fan spray

i'll try and find a link to it

https://pressuretek.com/m5-twist-downstream-nozzle/

its an American site but I believe mark cave sells them here in the uk 

How exactly does it work? does it just go onto the end of the lance and the hose draws from a barrel? I've just spent £350 + VAT on a softwash pump box set up and I think one of these could of done the same or even a better job ?
What pump box did you get? The xjet is OK for some jobs but wouldn't be great for others. Far too much overspray!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back