Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van Waterproofing etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joel Bland

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproof paint for the van? Gonna look at putting some rubber matting down but just getting an idea what some people are using

Cheers

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproof paint for the van? Gonna look at putting some rubber matting down but just getting an idea what some people are using

Cheers

I would have jumped in and said ProtectaKote. I did my first van with black over 10 years ago and the only place it has worn is where the hose reels rub and damage it during removal and replacement.

I purchase some grey and it been in use for around 9 weeks. I noticed this morning that its already starting to wear off on the edge of the floor by the side loading door. Yes, my son is too lazy the lift his (my) backpack up when he takes the thing in and out, but it should handle that.

Bog standard plywood fitted kit covered in protectakote. It’s good stuff. Our old ply rotted so badly i had to have it ripped out and replaced. Will be re-applying the protectakote to the floor anually or twice annually, the sides dont really see much wear 

Interesting thread, this has got me thinking now too. 

My ply is badly rotten and broken up in lots of places. Forever sweeping all of the pieces of wood out. Looks like I'll rip it out when I have some spare time and Protectakote it ?

Interesting thread, this has got me thinking now too. 

My ply is badly rotten and broken up in lots of places. Forever sweeping all of the pieces of wood out. Looks like I'll rip it out when I have some spare time and Protectakote it ?
Just be aware it's not a quick job it took me 2-3 days in total just to do the painting and protectakote and it takes hours to dry between coats, I had to use a cheap fan heater hung from the ceiling with a bungee strap overnight and through the following day. 

Just be aware it's not a quick job it took me 2-3 days in total just to do the painting and protectakote and it takes hours to dry between coats, I had to use a cheap fan heater hung from the ceiling with a bungee strap overnight and through the following day. 

Thanks for the heads up. With regards to time - that could prove tricky. Flat out and finding it hard to find some time off. Will have a good think about it.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up. With regards to time - that could prove tricky. Flat out and finding it hard to find some time off. Will have a good think about it.

Cheers.

Now would be the best time to do it as its hot. Forget doing it in winter as it will 'never' dry.

Looks like we're due for a bit of bad weather next week, so may pull my finger out and get it done sharp-ish!

It is a single pack polyurethane which cures over time.

The instructions say that the second coat can be applied around 2 hrs after the first and then 9 – 24 hrs later Protecta-kote can be put into light use. Full chemical resistance is achieved in 4 – 7 days. Hot and humid conditions accelerate the cure. We found that preperation takes time.

We found that the paint was still very 'soft' after 2 hours so we needed to plan our painting execution so we didn't mess up the first coat when applying the second. Having a side loading door did make things a little easier. I've done this to 4 vans and I've never been able to kneel on the first coat whilst painting the second.

I found that a little over 2 liters was about right for my Peugeot Boxer swb but buying 4 liters was cheaper than 3 x 1 liter containers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be feasible to use a rubberised type of flexible covering? I'm thinking of something like a rubberised lino or pond liner material etc. That's what I think I'd be looking at. Perhaps with a second, smaller rubberised mat (exercise mat cut to size?) on top for areas of high wear such as inside the doors and under reels or trolleys and the like. The main covering, if flexible enough could be brought up the sides and bulkhead for say five inches and glued in place, so the back of the van could be like a wetroom in the case of the inevitable spillages and leaks. If it was done right it could have spillways left low to allow water out by the doors. I've not needed to do this myself yet as my van is an ex Cannon Hygiene (don't know much about them, but I gather they carry wet loads) one and was already done along similar but not exactly the same lines. I think I'd have a professional lino fitter do the job as they are used to it. 

Would it be feasible to use a rubberised type of flexible covering? I'm thinking of something like a rubberised lino or pond liner material etc. That's what I think I'd be looking at. Perhaps with a second, smaller rubberised mat (exercise mat cut to size?) on top for areas of high wear such as inside the doors and under reels or trolleys and the like. The main covering, if flexible enough could be brought up the sides and bulkhead for say five inches and glued in place, so the back of the van could be like a wetroom in the case of the inevitable spillages and leaks. If it was done right it could have spillways left low to allow water out by the doors. I've not needed to do this myself yet as my van is an ex Cannon Hygiene (don't know much about them, but I gather they carry wet loads) one and was already done along similar but not exactly the same lines. I think I'd have a professional lino fitter do the job as they are used to it. 

What I liked about Protecta-kote is the rubber granules in the paint. Its anti slip properties do also help to stop the tank moving around, even in its frame.

I have a SWB van I can get into the open the filler cap etc. I'm happy that this paint prevents me slipping with my wet shoes on.

I’ve had Line-x in both of my vans, and to be honest it really is the best solution.

It cost £400 for my VW Caddy and £600 for my Toyota Proace. I had it done at Ionics when they fitted my system, but you can get it done at any Line-X installer, it costs the same.

It will perfectly protect your van floor and requires zero maintenance. My Caddy looked brand new inside when I sold it after 4 years use. I think it paid for itself just in helping to retain the resale value.

If that protecta kote stuff takes 3 days to do, then even if you earn a nominal £200 per day that’s £600 in lost work time. You might as well get a professional job as it won’t cost any more and will be far superior.

I’ve had Line-x in both of my vans, and to be honest it really is the best solution.

It cost £400 for my VW Caddy and £600 for my Toyota Proace. I had it done at Ionics when they fitted my system, but you can get it done at any Line-X installer, it costs the same.

It will perfectly protect your van floor and requires zero maintenance. My Caddy looked brand new inside when I sold it after 4 years use. I think it paid for itself just in helping to retain the resale value.

If that protecta kote stuff takes 3 days to do, then even if you earn a nominal £200 per day that’s £600 in lost work time. You might as well get a professional job as it won’t cost any more and will be far superior.
You can Protectakote a swb for around £100, I started mine on a Friday afternoon and applied the second coat Saturday morning, then it was all good to go for work on the Monday. 

I would have jumped in and said ProtectaKote. I did my first van with black over 10 years ago and the only place it has worn is where the hose reels rub and damage it during removal and replacement.

I purchase some grey and it been in use for around 9 weeks. I noticed this morning that its already starting to wear off on the edge of the floor by the side loading door. Yes, my son is too lazy the lift his (my) backpack up when he takes the thing in and out, but it should handle that.
Same problem with mine mate. In the last van I had some kind of thick board with a rubberised surface, it was fitted to the van perfectly, even sealed in the corners. I popped Protectakote on top of that and it stuck like glue. Absolutely no problems getting things in and out etc. This van I took the ply out and put it directly to the floor. I've had to reapply it a couple of times already and the vans only 14 months old.

Back