Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Static RO System Low Pressure

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Paul L

Hi

I've set up a static RO system and noticed the pressure is running at about 25 which is making the membrane work harder and burning my resin with the TDS Reading creeping up to 3ppm every two weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice how to increase the water pressure into the system to improve performance. 

I've thought about adding a booster pump but wasn't sure what to buy to make a difference.  Ideally want a booster that auto shuts off and can connect to the outside tap and hose inlet.

Any advice really appreciated. Not keen on buying resin fortnightly!!

HI I Have a 2400 high volume GPD unit which includes the following, really keen to understand the best pump to increase pressure to maintain TDS level as the 90w one I've added makes little difference.

• 2 x 20" Reverse Osmosis Prefilters and Housings
  • 1 x 20" HF4 or HF5 high quality Reverse Osmosis Membrane and Champ Housing
  • Choice to add industrial standard, mains powered, IP55 rated booster pump
  • 1 x Glycerine FiIlled Pressure Gauge
  • 1 x 6" x 18" (6.5 Litre) Deionisation Unit filled with Tulsion brand Deionisation Resin
  • All metal powder coated wall mount 

look forward to some advice..Thanks again!

Paul

Screenshot_20190808-080757_eBay.jpg

HI I Have a 2400 high volume GPD unit which includes the following, really keen to understand the best pump to increase pressure to maintain TDS level as the 90w one I've added makes little difference.

• 2 x 20" Reverse Osmosis Prefilters and Housings
  • 1 x 20" HF4 or HF5 high quality Reverse Osmosis Membrane and Champ Housing
  • Choice to add industrial standard, mains powered, IP55 rated booster pump
  • 1 x Glycerine FiIlled Pressure Gauge
  • 1 x 6" x 18" (6.5 Litre) Deionisation Unit filled with Tulsion brand Deionisation Resin
  • All metal powder coated wall mount 

look forward to some advice..Thanks again!

Paul

View attachment 17287
Here's a copy of my post on the thread @Iron Giant referred you to.

The jury is out with exactly where to position a booster pump. There are valid arguments either way. Purefreedom set theirs up after the prefilters, but the counter argument is that you need to ensure the prefilters never become blocked with sediment and 'strave' the booster pump of water.

Personally I would put the booster after the prefilters and before the r/o, but that's my choice.

A booster pump mustn't draw more than 12lpm of water from the mains without a break tank according to the regs. A booster pump on a 4040 system won't draw that amount. The advice was right but its ours is an exception. But when you flush your membrane, the booster pump must be switched off for this process. If it isn't you will drawn more than 12lpm. This can cause all sorts of issues with the mains supply under certain conditions; hence the regulations. We wouldn't be able to use this booster pump to boost the household's supply without a break tank for example.

I have a solenoid valve and float switch on my system to switch water off to the r/o when my IBC tank is full. My choice would be a booster that is fitted with an electronic switchoff. When the water stops flowing the booster pump is automatically switched off.

Xline do the same booster as Gardiners used to do

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/en/xline-shop-2/filters-filter-systems/filter-systems/240v-booster-pump-detail

plus

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/en/xline-shop-2/filters-filter-systems/filter-systems/electronic-shutoff-controller-for-booster-pump-detail

and Machine Mart to a more expensive booster with this electronic controller as well.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum/

You can buy this Clarke pump cheaper elsewhere. Just do a Google search.

Salamander are a household booster pump but are 'detuned' to met the regs with a powershower operating. They are totally useless as a r/o booster pump.

If memory serves me a recent poster got a Clarke pump from Anglian Pumps

https://www.anglianpumping.com/product/water-boosting-pumps/cbm240e-230v-7230670

Hi. Does anyone know if the Clark 240 cbm is silent running or loud. 

How loud is the x line one. 

Many thanks. John. 

Hi. Does anyone know if the Clark 240 cbm is silent running or loud. 

How loud is the x line one. 

Many thanks. John. 

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

I see one of the pump suppliers describes another booster pump as 'silent running.'  No working electrical motor is going to run silently.

A cleaner on one of the forums says his booster pump (I can't remember what make it was) created enough noise for the neighbours to notice.

How close where his neighbours?  Where was his pump situated?

I have a Clarke pump which I use as a transfer pump. Its a Clarke SPE800. Its fitted into a kitchen cabinet in the garage with a cupboard door. When I'm transferring water to my van with the garage door open the neighbours can quite easily hear the pump running in the cupboard. My pump runs for 10 minutes or so, so is less likely to upset the neighbours than if it was running for 2 to 3 hours at the same pitch. (Its been in use for 12 years and none of the neighbours have mentioned it - yet.) The cupboard is on the garage wall that 'joins' the neighbour's back garden. So the pump noise is going to be more in the back gargen than in their house.

I only transfer water during the morning or early evening.

Noise from the same booster pump can differ depending on its mounting. If its bolted directly to the van's metal floor for example, the noise will resonate and be magnified due to this and the 'container' its inside.

You can't boxed it in with sound deadening material as the pump needs a good airflow to keep the motor from overheating.

We had a swimming pool overseas and the filtration pump could be heard anywhere in the garden. Did it disturb the neighbours? No, because their swimming pool pump didn't disturb us. But then none of us ran the pump at night as that would have disturbed others and been inconsiderate.

Our neighbours know we filter water to use for window cleaning. We also clean our neighbours windows either side. But they don't know the process of filtration and for every 600 liters I put into the van I send another 600 liters + to waste. Neither of our vans are sign written and we just keep a low profile as more and more people on the estate have fitted water meters.

Tyre manufacturers are required to advertise a dB rating for their tyres. One pump supplier stated that their booster pump had rating of 69 to 73 dB. This is similar to the rating a tyre manufacturer quoted for their tyres.

That doesn't mean much to me, especially as I have no idea how the pump supplier got that reading.

Out of interest, Salamander say that their shower booster pumps (no good for window cleaners) have a dB of 50. Rain falling is around 40dB where an alarm clock is around 80dB

https://www.anchorpumps.com/blog/quietest-shower-pumps/

At the bottom of the page are some ideas on how to reduce the noise of a booster pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a booster pump and to me it's noisy I can hear it running 20 meters away, it's mounted on a wooden board inside my shed against the fence between us and one of our neighbours, but my neighbour looked puzzled when I asked him if he was bothered by it he said he hadn't heard it and he is at home during the day as he is retired, mine runs every 30 minutes throughout the day currently due to issues with water pressure. 

What price did you pay for your Ro  Paul,      Just found out there is a waste pipe connected to a gutter behind mi out house .  meaning I can drain my waste from this location now.   I never new it existed.      Going to get a plug socket installed in shed.   go from there

have you got the x line booster pump  , or the all in one from Anglian water.   if so is all going to plan for you

Hi Johnny.  I got a static system from purefreedom making 1000 ltrs of pure water. Pressure is still low despite a pump. Getting a sparky in to sort of the plug sockets then going to install a better pump to try and increase the pressure. Waste pipe is near a drain so that's all good but until I get a decent pump burning resin ?

What price did you pay for your Ro  Paul,      Just found out there is a waste pipe connected to a gutter behind mi out house .  meaning I can drain my waste from this location now.   I never new it existed.      Going to get a plug socket installed in shed.   go from there

have you got the x line booster pump  , or the all in one from Anglian water.   if so is all going to plan for you
You've been in your house a while now haven't you ?

for the last 10 years living here .     I always thought I had no drainiage  option for my waste.  without having a very long ro tube  going to drain. then one day measuring up I realised theres a waste outlet I can use.  hitting myself in the head. dumbo  

im looking into buying this bit of waste land  and fencing off.     put a ibc tank  there with ro in shed,  get a socket and water supply built in..    

im out 5/6 day week now.       bit fed up of ro on every day in kitchen

just getting funds to justify buying that land.   £300   to get a quote for price,   £300 to get planning consent .  another £300 to buy off council.covers their admin fees    then the actual price for the land. .      whatever that will be

t

downpipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be so much better if you call a professional who knows how to handle this issue. You never know the problem could be something else. A professional will correctly solve the issue.
Hahaha are you real? They are the professionals. best to get advise off themselves often, as they've been in the game many years.

Latest Posts

Back