Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Removing sealer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Moor

I have cleaned and sealed a block paved area using Resiblock trade, I had a message from the customer that it looks great when it’s dry but is full of milky patches. Resiblock have told me it’s down to not leaving enough time for the blocks to dry before applying the sealer, I’m sceptical about this as it’s fine when it’s dry, the issue is only when it rains, but since I have said I left 24 hours between cleaning and sealing they won’t help any further as they say it should have been longer.

I’m now going to have to remove the sealant, re clean and sand and give a partial refund, the question is what do I use to remove the sealant and how much do I use?

Resiblock have suggested enviromose paint stripper but haven’t replied when I have asked about coverage.

Anyone had to do this before?

Ive done my best to fix warped sealant drives before. All I did was turbo lanced them and it took a very long time. You probably won't get it all off. I just kept blasting it and blasting it then let it dry to see if it had got it off. Then go back at it again if it hadn't come off.

I don't offer drive sealing anymore btw. I leave that for the owner or their handyman.

You need a scorching day of full sun to put down sealer. Any water or cold patch will turn it slightly white. As @THL4KEL said, not worth the hassle so you should put onus on customer. I would never seal nor would I try to remove it unless the customer was a friend, just a headache from start to finish.

The customer is a friend which is why I agreed to do it, I’m never doing it again though. It was applied in the scorching heat and looked great when dried, it still does it just turns milky when it rains, very frustrating.

still the damage is done and the lessons have been learnt so now I need to rectify the problem, looks to be putting me at least £100 in the red by the time I’m done.

hi @moor i'm the same as in i'll never touch sealant ever again but, saying that I think you have made the same mistake as me.

you say when its scorching hot it looks great but when it rains it looks milky as due to moisture under the sealant- correct me if i'm wrong?,

one suggestion before you try and blast it all off which i'm sure would damage the surface anyway, maybe you may not have applied enough sealant to do the job as in skrimp a bit and make it spread out?- don't worry I would be guilty of that one too lol

I would maybe be looking at putting another coat down but more thickly to fully seal the job and not let moisture in as I think that's whats happened now

just my thoughts mate

It may be a combination of all of the above!

Smart seal do a sealant repair fluid that corrects all the symptoms I have had, I have contacted them for more info, they do a sample too so I will test a sample area and see how it goes.

Back