Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need a new van.

Morning all. 

Im looking for a new van don’t need anything to big as I only carry 350 litres a day. Been struggling with what to buy. Used to have an old banger but want sonthibg which is gonna last me a good 10 years (hopefully) been looking at Mercedes-Benz Citan anyone use one of theses? Or any ideas what else to look for. Thanks for your help. 

Personally for carrying 350l I would buy the lowest mileage <09 1.9tdi VW caddy I could find. No DPF, no ad-blu, fairly simple mechanically, and good on fuel. 

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter - a pain in the butt on any diesel car that has one. My understanding is that they collect up the particlates from the burnt diesel emissions and are then supposed to trap them and burn them internally using exhaust heat at regular intervals. The problem is they often malfunction and cost ridiculous money to put right when they go wrong - and removing them and driving without it on a vehicle that had one factory fitted is illegal. In the world of WC if you're earning mega money that cost might not worry you but if you're not turning over big cash then you need to consider this.

Not a clue about ad-blu

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all. 

Im looking for a new van don’t need anything to big as I only carry 350 litres a day. Been struggling with what to buy. Used to have an old banger but want sonthibg which is gonna last me a good 10 years (hopefully) been looking at Mercedes-Benz Citan anyone use one of theses? Or any ideas what else to look for. Thanks for your help. 
A brand new van, or just a newer van, you need to be certain of payload and also can you fit your poles in I have a swb Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo which has a payload of 650kg and just fits in my Xtreme-22 pole as below, I have a 350ltr upright tank fitted which is fairly close to the bulkhead, I would say a van with a payload of 650kg or above will ensure you aren't pushing to the limit or overloading. 

20190527_110908.jpg

I use Mercedes Vito, one for work and one as a campervan. Best vehicles I've ever owned and I've had a few over the years. Been driving since about 1973. 

What would you guys think is best for window cleaning. Short journeys here and there carrying up to 325/400 litres of water 

Citroen 

fiat

mercedes

peugeot

renault

vauxhall

As far as small vans are concerned:

• Citroen, Peugeot & Vauxhall are the same
  • Mercedes & Renault are the same
  • Fiat and Vauxhall used to be the same until Vauxhall were bought out (by Citroen/Peugeot).

I got a good deal on a 66 plate Fiat Doblo (same as the Vauxhall Combo) - 750kg payload which is good for a 350L tank & 2 x 25L barrels which I use to decant water into my backpack (for the occasional backs of terraced houses).

All these vans would be pretty good IMO if they've been well looked after you just need to look for a good deal.

Back