Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Unit - Reverse Backflushed

QPRMinty

I recently installed a replacement Axeon 4021 RO membrane from Daqua into my van mount (along with new pre-filters).

I fully backflushed it before using, and got the TDS down to 7 ppm.

However, a couple of weeks ago, like an idiot, I connected up my fill / drain hoses the wrong way round, resulting in putting tap water into the bottom of the RO unit (ie...in through the 'exit port' of the unit, where treated water comes out). TDS is now at 27 ppm, but has been at 14 ppm and 24 ppm. In other words, all over the place.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Have I totally ruined the unit?

Will the pre-filters also be ruined?

Can it be fixed somehow? ?

Thanks in advance. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed a replacement Axeon 4021 RO membrane from Daqua into my van mount (along with new pre-filters).

I fully backflushed it before using, and got the TDS down to 7 ppm.

However, a couple of weeks ago, like an idiot, I connected up my fill / drain hoses the wrong way round, resulting in putting tap water into the bottom of the RO unit (ie...in through the 'exit port' of the unit, where treated water comes out). TDS is now at 27 ppm, but has been at 14 ppm and 24 ppm. In other words, all over the place.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Have I totally ruined the unit?

Will the pre-filters also be ruined?

Can it be fixed somehow? ?

Thanks in advance. ?
I did it a few times in the early days, with a booster pump on ? as well, and didn't damage it. Mine is a 40/40 though but I doubt this would make any difference. It could be your tap TDS, or water pressure, has changed.

I know someone who did this and it does effect the membrane efficiency. It went up to 90% rejection rate but with a booster and flushing it for a couple of hours dropped to 96% which is fine for them.

Thanks for the replies.

I emailed Axeon this morning and the technical manager told me that back-flushing the wrong way causes 'delamination'.......basically turning the membrane inside out.

Have ordered a new one from you this morning Doug.........arriving tomorrow, so very quick, thanks.

Lesson learned......it was raining when I mixed them up (was rushing to get back of van closed). Will label up the hoses to prevent any possible return to idiot-land! ?

You got lucky with yours, Part-timer. :1f44d:

Back