Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Univalve! Leaks! New One Does Too!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Edward Baskerville

I’ve had univalve for 2 years now and the mechanism went inside it and I bought new one. I noticed couple months before I bought new one it always leaked! I’ve recently fitted the new one and that leaks too! I’ve tried everything re-positioning of the clips clapping slightly/tightly. It just seems to leak no matter what. Could the setup of my controller and pump have anything to do with it? Need Help!

I’ve had univalve for 2 years now and the mechanism went inside it and I bought new one. I noticed couple months before I bought new one it always leaked! I’ve recently fitted the new one and that leaks too! I’ve tried everything re-positioning of the clips clapping slightly/tightly. It just seems to leak no matter what. Could the setup of my controller and pump have anything to do with it? Need Help!

Send it back under warranty for repair/replacement. You could also just open it and lubricate the large O Ring with a smeer of vaselene.

Send it back under warranty for repair/replacement. You could also just open it and lubricate the large O Ring with a smeer of vaselene.
They told me to return mine for a replacement, but its the inconvenience of being without it for  a week.

I have a tap on my 30fter which I hardly use, but when I do is a pain. I wouldn't want a week with a tap. I'm going down the "smear" route.

They told me to return mine for a replacement, but its the inconvenience of being without it for  a week.

I have a tap on my 30fter which I hardly use, but when I do is a pain. I wouldn't want a week with a tap. I'm going down the "smear" route.

Just pinch the hose far easier or bend it over double and stick it in the end of the pole 

I often use the pinch method between windows and even houses even though I have a Univalve in both my poles which is probably why mine have lasted so long. I've had them since they were released. They do leak a little (emphasis on little) but not a major problem and hardly surprising in view of the pressure the O ring inside has to deal with.

I took all 3 univalves apart last night, the two old ones were filthy inside. I cleaned and greased them and they seem to be working much better now, time will tell though.

The new one still leaks, what a pain! Having a good look around it I couldn't see a reason for the leak.

I wonder what the dirt inside the old ones could be when we only put pure water through them. Perishing O rings maybe?  Also, I wonder If they are using a new batch of O rings in the new ones that aren't quite up to scratch. Perhaps the specs are slightly off compared to the original ones. If this is the case then no amount of re-greasing them will work for long as the build up of water pressure inside them when shut off will force the grease out.

I wonder what the dirt inside the old ones could be when we only put pure water through them. Perishing O rings maybe?  Also, I wonder If they are using a new batch of O rings in the new ones that aren't quite up to scratch. Perhaps the specs are slightly off compared to the original ones. If this is the case then no amount of re-greasing them will work for long as the build up of water pressure inside them when shut off will force the grease out.
I also wondered that, I assume its coming from between the tank and brush head, all the components between.

I have copper piping between the tank and reels, some stainless steel too. The reels are fairly new, in fact the whole set-up with fittings were all done last January so 19 months old ish.

I also wondered that, I assume its coming from between the tank and brush head, all the components between.

I have copper piping between the tank and reels, some stainless steel too. The reels are fairly new, in fact the whole set-up with fittings were all done last January so 19 months old ish.

I was always under the impression that copper shouldn’t be used to put pure through ?? That’s what Ionic’s said 20 years ago anyway, don’t know if it’s a moth or not ??

I took all 3 univalves apart last night, the two old ones were filthy inside. I cleaned and greased them and they seem to be working much better now, time will tell though.

The new one still leaks, what a pain! Having a good look around it I couldn't see a reason for the leak.
Did you struggle to take yours apart. I had one leak, followed the video that was posted on here, but lost my temper with it in the end and just fitted a spare one ?

I was always under the impression that copper shouldn’t be used to put pure through ?? That’s what Ionic’s said 20 years ago anyway, don’t know if it’s a moth or not ??
I dont think I made the best choice for using pure water in.It was 19 months ago now though and haven't noticed any issues? 

I did poke around online and there was a test done some time ago but the water used was heated to around 40 degrees, which accelerated the dissolution of the copper.

I use cold most of the year, I might heat it to 40 degrees in the coldest parts of winter.

Good point. There's a chemical reaction that happens in some central heating systems because of different metals in the system that causes black muck to build up if not treated properly I believe. That would probably explain why I've never seen this in mine as I use a trolley and all my connections are JGs.

Good point. There's a chemical reaction that happens in some central heating systems because of different metals in the system that causes black muck to build up if not treated properly I believe. That would probably explain why I've never seen this in mine as I use a trolley and all my connections are JGs.
I put copper in when I put the immersion in, to cope with the heat.

I think I'll take it all out and re-place with speedfit.

im still using my original univalve day in/day out (bought a few years ago)...it still works fine and has never leaked....i also have another one which is spare when this one finally gives up the ghost!

they seem to go on forever........best water control device ever invented for wfp.....

Latest Posts

Back