Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Google adwords tried ??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I guess like most paid online marketing is radius which would be a 10 mile minimum and how much you spend, not exactly answering your question directly but this is allowed general answer as to how lead generation works as well, basically just flood every marketing platform as much as you can, which you can pay for or not. 

If you are a novice also take a look at http://thrivewp.com/blogsome really well written blogs/advice on how to configure your website and how Google views your information and how you can get the best from your site and rank well 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get your site ranking well then there isn't really any need to pay for advertising. In my experience using AdWords all I have ended up doing is throwing money away. 

I'm not near the top of the first page of Google search results when someone in my area searches for "window cleaner" and it's a lot easier for me to use Google Ads to be at the top of the page then for me to improve the search ranking without paying for SEO (search engine optimisation).

I found it easy to set up and it really does pay for itself in as much as it brings me in customers actively looking for a window cleaner in my area rather than spending hours knocking on doors.

You can set a daily budget and a target location.

Adwords will be good for making your business be visible at the top.

The more who use it to compete for the same terms within the area will push the price up even more.

Because of this some of it can be luck as to how much competition there is.

A bonus lately is that the ads format, ie the way the ads look have changed to appear more organic so they appear to the searcher like an ordinary result.

Due to the cost of adwords, conversion can be quite poor but ultimately depends on the rest of your system.

By this I mean these steps:

1) ad is seen via adwords on goggle. You'll pay per click or impressions(views) or both I think. (not used in a while so may have changed)

2) Once they click they will go to your website, or dedicated page on your site

3) How good is this page at converting them to do what you want them to do?

My opinion is that due to the high cost adwords is good to use to attract higher ticket sales such as Gutter Cleaning or Conservatory Cleaning Complete. Then use the service to make the additional sale of window cleaning.

May seem backwards but it may cost £1.00 per click. 1 in 5 may convert to actual sale. If your average window cleaning price is £15 then it's £5 to make that sale.

Gutter Cleaning will average more and have more pain attached to it, by which I mean customers will need it when they need it(ie gutter overflowing). When you are dealing with a sale of £50plus you then have more margin to burn on generating the lead.

That's a short breakdown on what I understand and I hope that helps a few on here a little.

Denis

My experience.....

This is my 5th month in operation.

Total Google Adwords cost thus far: £535

Total I have billed clients I have gained from Google Adwords thus far: £2,954.

These are motivated enquiries from customers who I very much hope to have for years and years therefore the cost of Google advertising has been well worth it for me both immediately and in the future.

Seems to be working for me £120 a mth but pulling in work some good jobs in more profitable areas close to me but funny when I logged to forum to see my add from google lol

Screenshot_20200308-095112_Chrome.jpg

Seems to be working for me £120 a mth but pulling in work some good jobs in more profitable areas close to me but funny when I logged to forum to see my add from google lol

View attachment 19612
Glad it’s working but you might want to stop showing your ads on the forum. Advertising a window cleaning service to window cleaners is just waist of views and clicks of your ad. ?

I wish I knew how can I block the website on on google adds do you know 
Maybe go into settings and have a trawl through, even with a personal G account there is quite a mass of options to go through with ad management personalisation and preferences to go through and this continues to grow overtime, I have found the basic stuff Google make easy but they still have a way to go for a good many things which should  be basic fundamentals and straightforward tasks  

Maybe go into settings and have a trawl through, even with a personal G account there is quite a mass of options to go through with ad management personalisation and preferences to go through and this continues to grow overtime, I have found the basic stuff Google make easy but they still have a way to go for a good many things which should  be basic fundamentals and straightforward tasks  
Found a lot turned a lot that dont relate trouble is main one is window cleaning and its called the window cleaning forum so think it will allways come up

AdWords is a monster and will eat your money up if you don’t know what you are doing. 

I used to run a successful e-commerce business and used adwords and bing ads. My advice would be to use your own bidding on keywords and also use exact match or phrase match on your keywords. Stick to a low budget for a few days and start of low with your keyword bidding. You can track conversions but this can be quite complicated to setup. 

bing ads is so underrated, there is a lot of the older generation using bing so you should also use this alongside adwords. You can import your adwords campaign in to bing ads. 

but like Gav says, concentrate on SEO and your GMB listing. Invest in this now and it will pay for years to come. I could go on and on about SEO but you would be better off learning from videos and articles. 

AdWords is a monster and will eat your money up if you don’t know what you are doing. 

I used to run a successful e-commerce business and used adwords and bing ads. My advice would be to use your own bidding on keywords and also use exact match or phrase match on your keywords. Stick to a low budget for a few days and start of low with your keyword bidding. You can track conversions but this can be quite complicated to setup. 

bing ads is so underrated, there is a lot of the older generation using bing so you should also use this alongside adwords. You can import your adwords campaign in to bing ads. 

but like Gav says, concentrate on SEO and your GMB listing. Invest in this now and it will pay for years to come. I could go on and on about SEO but you would be better off learning from videos and articles. 
Thought would chime in and share my thoughts on this...

While Bing Ads is under-rated, but its outreach in the UK is approximately 4%, compared to Google's 92%. You might argue that Bing is more popular in the US, but even there they are hoovering around the 6% mark, with Google being 88% (stats are taken from StatCounter).

SEO is a long-term game and it's very competitive, while you have little or almost no control over where your website ranks and how long it's going to stay there. We can talk about building "quality backlinks" and doing white-hat optimization all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that you just sit and wait there until Google decides to move you up in the ranks.

Moving to Google Ads, yes, it's not the cheapest option out there, but it's most the effective and the fastest way to get genuine customers, assuming you've got your campaign set up right. Since most guys out there don't have any experience with it, usually the results are quite pitiful, hence the mixed reviews, because when done properly it's a never-ending flow of new customers.

Thought would chime in and share my thoughts on this...

While Bing Ads is under-rated, but its outreach in the UK is approximately 4%, compared to Google's 92%. You might argue that Bing is more popular in the US, but even there they are hoovering around the 6% mark, with Google being 88% (stats are taken from StatCounter).

SEO is a long-term game and it's very competitive, while you have little or almost no control over where your website ranks and how long it's going to stay there. We can talk about building "quality backlinks" and doing white-hat optimization all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that you just sit and wait there until Google decides to move you up in the ranks.

Moving to Google Ads, yes, it's not the cheapest option out there, but it's most the effective and the fastest way to get genuine customers, assuming you've got your campaign set up right. Since most guys out there don't have any experience with it, usually the results are quite pitiful, hence the mixed reviews, because when done properly it's a never-ending flow of new customers.
With SEO and your ranking on google. There is no need to wait aimlessly. If you make the right amendments to your page and submit to google via the fetch tool or similar where you submit the url it will change ranking virtually instantly.

whether you adjust ranking or not will dictate if you move position and on what device and location.

you can see this on action. Neil Patel actually proves this in real time on a YouTube video he has.

so any of you will websites. Don’t wait. Submit the url and get it ranked straight away. 

With SEO and your ranking on google. There is no need to wait aimlessly. If you make the right amendments to your page and submit to google via the fetch tool or similar where you submit the url it will change ranking virtually instantly.

whether you adjust ranking or not will dictate if you move position and on what device and location.

you can see this on action. Neil Patel actually proves this in real time on a YouTube video he has.

so any of you will websites. Don’t wait. Submit the url and get it ranked straight away. 
Unfortunately, doing basic on-page SEO and submitting your URL to Google is not enough to get ranked where you will get any meaningful volume of visitors. This is even worse for bigger areas/cities, where there's a larger population of people, so naturally more competition for window cleaning.

Think about it. There are 10 organic results on a search page, plus Google's 3 Pack for local businesses with their addresses/contact numbers, and normally you will also have 3 paid Google Ads on top of the 3 Pack.

Now unless you are lucky enough to randomly come up in the chosen 3 businesses of Google's 3 Pack (which is below paid ads anyway), even by being ranked #1 organically (i.e. below the 3 Pack), you're being displayed as #7, since there are 3 paid ads above you, plus the 3 Pack.

Then you have to take into account that search volumes for local business keywords are naturally low, because this is not something that is commonly searched, and that's when you slowly start to see the real picture of doing SEO.

To further illustrate my point of limited search volume for such keywords, I'll give you an example of a Google Ads campaign that I run for a window cleaner who covers a pretty large area of London, where I would say the population is 1.5 million+.

The campaign wasn't limited by budget in any way, but it was highly targeted, so you could argue that every search (impression) that we received was a potential customer, rather than just someone doing research. This was back in May, so granted the lockdown was enforced more fiercely and the volume could be better now, but the most we were getting then was approximately 40 impressions per day.

So that's basically 40 people every day searching for window cleaning in that part of London. There are many articles where you can read about how people analyse the results produced by Google, and you will generally find out that around 60% of people click on the paid ads (not always knowing that those are ads), while the rest scroll down further for more results.

Taking those numbers as a rough guideline, if my guy was doing SEO, then he would be looking at getting around 15 impressions (i.e. 40% from the total of 40 daily impressions) per day, meaning there would be 15 people every day who could potentially click on his website, IF it was organically ranked in the top 10 of Google's search result pages.

Obviously, the lower you are ranked in the top 10, the less likely you will be to get those clicks, plus add the fact that Google's constantly changing the organic results displayed and your competition is building backlinks to improve their rank, then your chances of being ranked anywhere remotely useful become even lower.

I feel it's important to mention that the above is purely my view and experience of both doing SEO and paid Google Ads over the years, so if your numbers are different and things are working out well for you, then I wish you all the best.

It's just I wanted to give my perspective on why I think SEO can provide very limited results, especially in smaller cities, while quite often it's being suggested as the magic bullet for gaining more customers.

Back