Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to make DI resin last longer ?

rafterys2003

Hi Guys 

I am currently using a water fed pole system and am looking for advice on how to make the DI resin I'm using last longer. I will try to provide as much information as possible if that helps. 

I currently use:

INDION ION EXCHANGE RESIN MB115 25litres £82 per bag

Twin 11 litre DI vessels (Using worn out 007ppm resin first before hitting new resin)

Cleaning on a 4 weekly rota

Week 1 filtering roughly 550 litres, Week 2 650 litres, Week 3 375 litres, Week 4 450 litres

Tap water TDS 295ppm

Using lowest speed on my pump

Feels like I'm burning through resin quicker and quicker and obviously it is very expensive. So I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could be making it last longer ? I've heard of MB151 being better for people in hard water areas, anyone had any experience with this ? I Cant even seem to find anywhere that has it in stock. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Guys

is there a reason your not using an RO system?

Using twin di’s from 295ppm I’m not surprised your burning through resin. 

If RO isn’t an option you could get another DI and try a triple DI system?

Hi TWC 

I'm not too knowledgeable about RO systems so I'm not 100% sure but when I looked into it it was going to cost I think £450 for the system I would need (plus all the maintenance and replacing membranes all the time) to produce roughly the 260l per day Im looking to create, plus all that waste water. So It just didn't seem cost effective at all for me as they are also very slow. Also I'm not sure a third DI vessel would make any difference. 

Thanks for responding

At 295 tds you will eat resin. I would suggest harvesting as much rainwater as possible or going over to an R.O.

you could even trad all work that is possible to trad and keep wfp for windows that can only be done wfp

The last thing on the list and probably the one that comes with the most risk is raising your prices to cover your resin expenditure. 

Anything over a tds of 100 should be ro then di Ime not surprised  you are getting through a lot of resin 

I would get an RO System but I need some more information on them if i'm honest. Based on the information I have provided and if i were to get say a 400gpd ro system. At 260 filtered litres per day 5 days per week could anyone tell me:

How often would I have to replace the membranes/filters ?

How much would it cost to replace them ?

How quickly would I produce 260 litres ? 

How much waste water would I create ?

Would I just poor it down the drain ? (seems wasteful)

Sorry to be asking so many questions thanks so much to everyone that's taken the time to try and help I really appreciate it.

I would get an RO System but I need some more information on them if i'm honest. Based on the information I have provided and if i were to get say a 400gpd ro system. At 260 filtered litres per day 5 days per week could anyone tell me:

How often would I have to replace the membranes/filters ?

How much would it cost to replace them ?

How quickly would I produce 260 litres ? 

How much waste water would I create ?

Would I just poor it down the drain ? (seems wasteful)

Sorry to be asking so many questions thanks so much to everyone that's taken the time to try and help I really appreciate it.
I think its on the gardiners site they have a resin calculator which shows roughly how long your resin would last, but with the ro, from 295 tds tap you should get say 7 or 8 before the di. 

change sediment filter every 10,000 litres (pure and waste combined) carbon block filter every 35,000 (pure and waste)

you'd waste maybe 700 litres a day. will just go back into the water companies system so not really wasted, just an addition to your water bill but make it back off what the pure earns.

I can produce 260 litres in about 2 hours with a 40/21, with a 400 gpd may take longer. water pressure can be a factor, you want over 45/50 psi really.

is quite a pain to work it all, but you'll def be better off with Ro.

I think its on the gardiners site they have a resin calculator which shows roughly how long your resin would last, but with the ro, from 295 tds tap you should get say 7 or 8 before the di. 

change sediment filter every 10,000 litres (pure and waste combined) carbon block filter every 35,000 (pure and waste)

you'd waste maybe 700 litres a day. will just go back into the water companies system so not really wasted, just an addition to your water bill but make it back off what the pure earns.

I can produce 260 litres in about 2 hours with a 40/21, with a 400 gpd may take longer. water pressure can be a factor, you want over 45/50 psi really.

is quite a pain to work it all, but you'll def be better off with Ro.
correction, that 35000 litres for the carbon block would be with a fibredine carbon filter, other ones are only 12000 I think.

Anything you arent sure of,  the retailer will go through it with you. Daqua are very good and you can speak to the main man over the ins and outs.

So you're saying 700 litres waste + 260 pure per day and changing the sediment filter every 10,000 litres means Id have to change the filter every 10 days ?
yes, its often done for busy users. You might not have 700 waste, some manage almost 1 waste to 1 pure, which would give you 260 waste, but I'd guess you'd have at least 350 waste. the sediment filters are very cheap so its not too bad, buy 10 at a time perhaps. 

yes, its often done for busy users. You might not have 700 waste, some manage almost 1 waste to 1 pure, which would give you 260 waste, but I'd guess you'd have at least 350 waste. the sediment filters are very cheap so its not too bad, buy 10 at a time perhaps. 
When ive changed my sediment filter, when I look at it, im sure I could've left it much longer, as it hardly changed colour, but that will vary all over the country.

As I only use 300 litres a week I just change it anyway. Since I got a booster pump, it makes the water much quicker and with less waste too. I found getting the booster pump well worth it. bit of expense, but once you have it, will last on and on and save time and waste water.

This is what I was afraid of as it just doesn't seem very cost effective. I mean changing them every 10 days just seems a bit excessive they're like £5 each right ? So that's £10 per month (5 day week) for sediment filter, £5 per month for carbon filter then the membrane i don't know how much...£90? So that's £270 extra a year at least. How much longer will it even make the DI resin last ? Please correct me if my calculations are wrong. What is your Tap water TDS TWC as those numbers sound fantastic but Im guessing yours is alot lower than mine so I probably couldn't achieve this ?

Thanks guys for all the help.

Far better off contacting @doug atkinsonwho owns http://Daqua.co.uk you can get a standard R/O for quite a bit less than £450.

Personally I wouldn't buy an R/O from anyone else he builds the systems himself and sells you exactly what you need and they are quality products and not fitted with cheaper inferior pre-filters and membranes. 

This is what I was afraid of as it just doesn't seem very cost effective. I mean changing them every 10 days just seems a bit excessive they're like £5 each right ? So that's £10 per month (5 day week) for sediment filter, £5 per month for carbon filter then the membrane i don't know how much...£90? So that's £270 extra a year at least. How much longer will it even make the DI resin last ? Please correct me if my calculations are wrong. What is your Tap water TDS TWC as those numbers sound fantastic but Im guessing yours is alot lower than mine so I probably couldn't achieve this ?

Thanks guys for all the help.
Very sorry if this sounds harsh, you've asked a question and the first reply you got was correct. I appreciate you're uncertain about using a R/O, we've all been there, but you're trying to argue about the correct advice because of your personal doubts. If you want to save money buy and learn how to use a R/O otherwise stick to double DI and continue to spend more money on resin. 

My tap varies between 325 and 350. 

Here’s  the prefilters I change every 4 months

http://www.collinswaterproductsltd.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5995046-set-10-pre-filters.html

no need to change them every 10 days
I totally echo TWC, I make around 1500L a week and change my pre filters around every 4-5 months, The sediment is usually in a clear container and only needs changing when it is the colour of rust, Membranes can last 2-3 years and at your production level maybe longer, just flush them for 5 mins daily and for an hour monthly, after the initial purchase cost, your consumables will run at less than £80 a year and polishing DI water from 6ppm to zero could save you £400 a year in resin.

As suggested above go to Daqua and get a 450 gpd, got mine from them and it's been spot on ever since. My starting is similar to yours (252) and it gets it down to 008, doesn't eat resin that way.

very simple system to install, mines in the garage. Comes with hoselock fittings so goes straight onto a outside tap. Got a IBC tank which is 600 litres for storage and barrels.

If you can get a little booster pump preowned then add that to increase output a little more.   

Hi Guys

I really appreciate all the comments and you have convinced me that I need an RO system. Just checked Daqua £231 for the 450 but they seem to be out of stock so I might have to try Collins water products like TWC suggested. Im really sorry if I have frustrated anyone its just been a little confusing. Anyway I'm Definitely going to buy one and you guys have all been great. I just hope I can do the same for someone else at some point.

Thanks

Back