Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What are these black lines, hope its not me

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Yeh, ive been seeing these black lines on pvc window sills etc that ive been working on. Like the black marks your shoes used to make back in the day. Anyway, I havent caught myself doing it, and I cant imagine how I have, but im beginning to think I may have done them. I dont get it though, as I dont run the edge of the brush over the sill. mighty strange. Anyone know or had this issue. Surely they were all there already? but i wonder.

I have it trad cleaning a cpl of my custys windows, its from old dull soft rubber round the windows.
Ah, I think you mean what they call zebra stripes. no, I know what you mean, they are faded and not too noticeable and go vertical down the sill. These ones are like across/horizontal and look darker. A right mess some of them, and i cant seem to get rid, so will play dumb. Like I said, it just seems odd, i cant explain it, like I watched myself and it just seemed to be brush bristles on the sill, I havent caught myself in the act. Maybe a previous cleaner? What im gonna do, is try and re-create them on an old sill of someones who isnt bothered, and see what happens. this old hippy house down the road, they wont mind. All in the interests of science of course. ?‍?

Yeh, ive been seeing these black lines on pvc window sills etc that ive been working on. Like the black marks your shoes used to make back in the day. Anyway, I havent caught myself doing it, and I cant imagine how I have, but im beginning to think I may have done them. I dont get it though, as I dont run the edge of the brush over the sill. mighty strange. Anyone know or had this issue. Surely they were all there already? but i wonder.
Have you got a picture of this ???

Have you got a picture of this ???
Not at present but will do. sometimes it looks like a scrape of 2 or 3 lines, other times just 1 line. i hate to think its me, but maybe it is. To be honest, part of the plastic around the brush has worn a bit in one place, and i thought this could be scratching the pvc, though my technique doesnt seem to involve this, maybe when im rushing a bit it could happen? have got a new brush, putting it on next week, ultimate medium soft, though think I wanna get a tougher brush for first cleans and gutters/soffits.

Not at present but will do. sometimes it looks like a scrape of 2 or 3 lines, other times just 1 line. i hate to think its me, but maybe it is. To be honest, part of the plastic around the brush has worn a bit in one place, and i thought this could be scratching the pvc, though my technique doesnt seem to involve this, maybe when im rushing a bit it could happen? have got a new brush, putting it on next week, ultimate medium soft, though think I wanna get a tougher brush for first cleans and gutters/soffits.

Evan if it is you I wouldn’t expect it to be black lines ???

I always being the brush head back down and change the angle downwards to a 45ish degree angle. That way I can't hit the window frame and scrape it and can't do the sill either. 

Just tag @Alex Gardinerinto this, fairly certain his brushes don't mark anything they rub against 

It would be rare for the brush stock material to leave lines on PVC white frames/sills. 

To do so would take a pressure on the brush that would be difficult to achieve in use. 

On painted frames/sills anything hard could leave marks if used with pressure. This is when a brush bumper is useful. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Astonish paste will remove those marks quite easily.

In my experience brush bumpers are a waste of time. Even when I glued them on they started falling off, they collect all the cobwebs & muck you scrub off the window & they also wear on the corners after a few weeks. Much easier just to adjust your cleaning style.

Update on this. Worked on some  properties  yesterday, and found out what it was. This hand brush I sometimes use, to brush away dirt/webs etc off bottom windows, it left the black lines on the sills right before my eyes.The lines are coming off the brush bristles, and they dont shift. (well, sure they will with a lot of effort) But im gobsmacked to be fair. Reckon its gotta be the material of the bristles, and maybe because its old brush, they're perishing, and leaving permanent black lines where ever it brushes. Will try and upload pic off my camera later, before I consign offending brush to history (well, the landfill site anyway)

Back