Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Opinion on ladders for ground floor windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ChrisTheHelp

What three-point ladder length would you I use for tall ground floor windows? 

I use WFP for most windows but like to do the ground floor windows the traditional way. But......some ground floor windows are too high for me to be alble to reach the top of without a ladder. What are your thoughts on the 'perfect' three point ladder length for taller ground floor windows?

Thanks everyone. :)

Chris

I use WFP for most windows but like to do the ground floor windows the traditional way. But......some ground floor windows are too high for me to be alble to reach the top of without a ladder. What are your thoughts on the 'perfect' three point ladder length for taller ground floor windows?

Thanks everyone. ?

Chris
When I was trad, always was happy with my 6ft A frame

I often use a short unger trad pole, for single panes above wooden front doors, or otherwise. Trad poles not the best for any significant build up though. Nothing quite substitutes for a ladder and hands on though especially if they're grubby with cobwebs embedded in to corners and the likes. 

I use telescopics sometimes as theyre in the back if the van for conny roofs and extensions anyway, and it saves me having to have a stepladder or a frame on the van. I would love an a frame mind. 

Eventually i think youll find the most practical option is to wfp, it saves so much time too. You can always touch up traditionally. Quite often i find that both methods combined work best. I wfp first, then touch up with sill cloths, muc off claw, blade scraper and trad soapy for stubborn stuff. As long as the window ends up clean thats the main objective ?

Thanks everyone. ?

Chris

Isn't it amazing how people see the same things differently.

We were trad cleaners for a couple of years before wfp. I carried ladders around for first floor windows and steps around for bottom windows as I can't reach the tops of most older house's ground floor windows.

The plan was to clean top windows wfp and continue to clean lower windows traditionally. Within 1/2 an hour of starting wfp that plan was binned and the lot was done wfp even although we didn't have an abundance of water.

I just couldn't justify using 2 sets of equipment to clean a single house. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense to me time wise.

Yes, you save water so reduce your filtration costs, but the extra time it takes to do a job to the standard of wfp negates that.

We were trad cleaners for a couple of years before wfp. I carried ladders around for first floor windows and steps around for bottom windows as I can't reach the tops of most older house's ground floor windows.

The plan was to clean top windows wfp and continue to clean lower windows traditionally. Within 1/2 an hour of starting wfp that plan was binned and the lot was done wfp even although we didn't have an abundance of water.

I just couldn't justify using 2 sets of equipment to clean a single house. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense to me time wise.

Yes, you save water so reduce your filtration costs, but the extra time it takes to do a job to the standard of wfp negates that.

It amazed me that @Part Timercan see the upper window sills from the ground, yet I have can't even see ground floor window sills ?

I agree. How many more houses would you be able to do and how much more money, if not for the double handling? 

its an inefficient way of working for sure but when i was trad i used a ramsey 7ft A frame for high ground floor windows.....now it just gets used for climbing into my loft!?

i also used to use a small optiloc trad pole for some work.....

nowadays i just wfp virtually everything....i combination of laziness and speed.....?

its an inefficient way of working for sure but when i was trad i used a ramsey 7ft A frame for high ground floor windows.....now it just gets used for climbing into my loft!?

i also used to use a small optiloc trad pole for some work.....

nowadays i just wfp virtually everything....i combination of laziness and speed.....?

No Dazmond! Lets remove this word laziness and replace it with "best practice". ?

So on ballance.... bugger the ladder and stick to a short WFP for the ground floor. 

Cheers all, very helpful

:1f44d:

Honestly, its up to you, but wfp everything is the way most of us will go.

I have an SLX22 as my standard everyday pole. My son uses an SLX25. Both are short enough to use for both upstairs and downstairs. With an adjustable angle adapter we can clean windows down narrow alley's from the side with the pole horizontal.

I know some of the responses have been a bit blunt, but its how passionately cleaners view wfp.

Another point that wasn't mentioned was dripping water. Water can take a while to stop dripping from the upstairs windows. You don't need to trad clean the window below and then have a few stray drips wetting the clean, dry glass underneath.

There are some who love to trad windows. My son is one of them. He says its very therapeutic which, tbh I don't relate to. So he has plenty of therapeutic time when we do internal cleans from time to time. We haven't got time for therapy sessions with external cleans.

Latest Posts

Back