Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

lost two befor its even started...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

riggy

well just lost the secound of two who wanted cleans and then canseled befor the first clean was even done...lol  first one called me after a flyer drop, only way to clean conservatory was via next doors, i said ask them if its ok to do that, she said alrite then never herd back, now the other one, who again called me after flyer drop then after i quoted said ok great and would call me after thay got back off holiday in two weeks time. i thought well proberly wont hear back. but then thay call me on phone saying please come round for first clean, i said ok can come later this week will let u know a day and time, then i text them a date...heard nothing back....then text them again with another date...nothing back....just got a text now saying wife dosent want the extra exspence...ah well,   i realy thought thay would be ones that were genuine, after all it was them calling me all those times. proves u never can tell. just need my other  so say regulares to cansle on me now...lol  its a very fickly type of trade this, its amazing me what some say thay are chargeing on here for cleans. got a job on ur hands to get 14 quid for a 3 bed semi round here. feels like ur selling something no one really wants or sees any value in the job if thay do. then all u hear from people is the markets swamped with window cleaners, getting the feelings thats the reality of it. people say theres endless amounts of glass out there, yes thats true, but theres very few genuine people who do want regulare cleans and willing to pay fair price. thats what there is very little of. 

Everyone gets messers, got one the other day arranged first clean, turned up she wasn't in. She apologised and said she'd forgot so rearranged for Tuesday this week. Turned up, not in again, sent her a text saying we won't be back. The established guys can just shrug it off, it's a lot harder for those starting up.

Best to get used to kissing frogs for a while there mate.

First you have to get some customers and "prove" your worth as a window cleaner, if you clean windows to a high standard, are reliable, polite, respectful and well presented the rest will fall into place.

It's recommendations your after, Thats where all the good work is.

We have all had a fair share of this @riggy. As @Part Timer says its easier to handle when you have a full work schedule but tough when you are starting out.

We have had a few new cleans in the past requested by a customer without the consent of their partner and is probably why they were cancelled before we even did them. We once had a new customer who didn't want her husband to find out she had employed our services. That went on for a few cleans before he found out and it didn't end well. He blamed us for coning his wife into agreeing window cleaning services whereas she approached us in the street whilst we were working a few doors down. Who knows what she told him. So we now ensure that all parties are aware of us window cleaning before we start.

We have done the exterior clean of my wife's boss' house and factory unit for the last 6 years. Six weeks ago he asked us to do a once of internal clean as well as they were hosting a party this past long weekend.

When we had finished the lady of the house asked us to schedule the insides to be cleaned every 3 months along with the regular 4 week external clean. "That's fine by me" I said, "but please can you inform the boss of the arrangement." "I am the boss" she said, " and you only need my permission." We had a good laugh but I will make sure personally that the boss who pays our bill is aware of the new arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a long road ahead i’m afraid mate i don’t consider anybody to be a solid regular until they’ve been on the rounds 2 years. 

The economic climate is fragile now, picked up a great customer not long ago, big house good earner on the regular easy access. They’ve had to cancel unfortunately as one of them has just been made redundant. 

Lot of big companies downsizing and laying off, which means more window cleaners of course as people turn to self employment. And also if jobs arent secure its not good for anybody as the money isnt guaranteed to be there to pay for services.

i wouldnt like to start up now gotta be honest especially with brexit coming up who knows how many redundancies that will lead to. Im worried about the price and availability of fruit in the supermarkets myself as so much of it comes from europe. 

Wish you the best of luck but none of us have the promise of an easy start we all did it the hard way. Our first weeks takings were £65, 2nd week £150. It was 6 months before any significant amount of work started coming in. I understand exactly what you are saying. You have to have nerves of steel in this game. Coming in to autumn now too so not exactly the time people think about getting a window cleaner but it can be done i started in november. We canvassed all through a dark wet winter right through to april and actually came out with the starting blocks and about ten full days work at the end of it. Treat it as a marathon not a race if you can, some days it just doesnt happen. Hard if you gotta pay bills if i hadnt still been living at my parents at the time i started it would have been game over in no time.

we are “half” established. About 50% of our work is scheduled and 50% is ad ons if and when it comes in.

i’m holding off putting another van on the road for now because i honestly dont know how much creme is left in the market with all the competition and national uncertainty 

Great to read posts like this, really helps keep you focused.  

I almost lost my first customer today, the warning signs were there when I first got it about 4 months ago.  They said that the last window cleaner just stopped coming, they have an electronic gated property which they won't provide the code, they were reluctant to accept direct debit.

Anyway so last month I text night before with no reply, got there next day and gate was shut, couldn't get access.  I sent a text later that day to say that I couldn't get in, got a reply saying that they did reply to my text (they definitely didn't), they had proof of the reply and said they wasn't going to be in.  So I was like 'well yeah don't worry these things happen...' and basically just did the clean the following week.

So last night I sent the text, again no reply, got there today and yes you guessed it, gate shut.  This time I rang the customer, customer said they sent a text back saying they didn't need to be cleaned, customer was a bit erratic with not finishing one excuse before starting the next excuse, first they said is was too early and not yet 4 weeks (it was bang on 4 weeks), then they said can't I do it next week (why would that make a difference?), then they said they're just not dirty (I explained that they shouldn't look dirty, they are cleaned before they look dirty), then they said that they couldn't afford it.  

They basically said why does it have to be cleaned so often, if I can't make it any longer like 5 or 6 weeks then they will cancel.  It was at this point that I remembered that this morning I was thinking how well I've done not to lose any customers so just as I was about to call it quits I suggested she moved to 8 weeks with a 25% price increase, she said that's great and seemed happy, but I just know that this one isn't going to be a long term one.  It's a shame because the house is really nice, it's immaculate and well kept, they have got 2 windows that are a killer to clean and I dread doing them but I always give it my all.  

The problem is they will eventually part company with my service, then they will be stuck trying to find somebody like they were when they found me.  Just doesn't make sense, you either want a window cleaner or you don't.

Anyway onwards and upwards, with the extra time I went out dropping leaflets and got a call from a very nice house who said they have been crying out for a window cleaner for years, go to quote on Monday with another quote already booked.  1 further enquiry via text.  It's true what everyone says, you just have to keep at it, somebody knocks you down just jump back up keep going at it.  

This week I have made £190, next week should be about £210, my goal at the moment is to hit £200 per week on the regulars, then £250 then £300.  One off's and extra's should be seen as bonuses, it's the regulars that are the bread and butter.

It's absolutely saturated in my area, windys everywhere and some working late into the evening too rather than just clocking off at 3 like many on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, i was picking up clients but august has been a bit of a write off for me for picking up any newbies. The most recent area i've been trying to get a foothold in is literally blanketed by other windys - it's been incredibly hard going and i've been canvassing it part time for around 3 weeks - and in that time i've pulled out 7 customers of which 4 are repeats (and of those 3 are regular) while the other 3 were one-offs with one saying he might use me next time i visit his neighbour (the non regular in the 4 repeaters). So for all my efforts in that huge housing area, i've got just 3 regular clients - yes, THREE! I've knocked and leafleted but it's been so well covered by other windies that there's just nothing left really. Compare that to another area where i picked up 9 regulars... (and still get no walk ups)

I'm not the only one struggling either, at the recent spotless brekkie club several other windies were a bit glum, one saying "it's taken me years to get this far", another has switched to wheelie bin cleaning, another moaning at another for coming out of retirement and picking up all his old custys again etc. All nice enough fellas but it was clear that they still weren't happy with their client base - i found myself thinking "you guys have no idea" lol. Me and my 6 barrels....

Meanwhile the windy that i use says they still get one or two calls a day and could easily have another van on the road - while my neighbours have stopped using me despite saying they wanted me regularly (and wanted me to follow them 25 miles to the next town when they move - errrr no, not for a tenner!)

I'm not giving up, I'm just not that phased about picking up any more clients now. I need money, i need hardware - proper ladder, roof rack, sign writing / mag signs for car, SLX, van (and gear)... all of which costs money i don't have and it seems like a pointless uphill struggle while i'm trying to survive at the same time. With my current clientele I can kinda survive without all that - just. OH and my phone has just packed up.. .need another or a fix.. that's more money spent before i've managed to earn it - and that's after the missus's birthday... So basically until I've got xmas out of the way i'm not looking at any real progress.

Must admit the thought of giving up did cross my mind earlier today but i've done silly things like that in the past.

There's a windie on the other forum who picked up sticks from the UK and moved to Ireland some 8 years ago.

He struggled to get a foothold in and started off by offering one off's at a one off price. Customers would just call him when they wanted their windows cleaned and he would do them when he was next in the area - no special call today and clean today unless he was already in the area. Eventually most of these turned into regular customers.

Maybe some of you who are struggling to pick up work might try a different tack.

Many years ago a couple of windies started canvassing houses on the back roads between small villages where we live. They did well as many hadn't seen a window cleaner in years. The lads said that windies usually canvassed for business in the developed estates but neglected less populated areas.

There's a windie on the other forum who picked up sticks from the UK and moved to Ireland some 8 years ago.

He struggled to get a foothold in and started off by offering one off's at a one off price. Customers would just call him when they wanted their windows cleaned and he would do them when he was next in the area - no special call today and clean today unless he was already in the area. Eventually most of these turned into regular customers.

Maybe some of you who are struggling to pick up work might try a different tack.

Many years ago a couple of windies started canvassing houses on the back roads between small villages where we live. They did well as many hadn't seen a window cleaner in years. The lads said that windies usually canvassed for business in the developed estates but neglected less populated areas.
yeh ive started doing that, as the town I live in people come in from miles away to work. Trouble is, Im finding it tricky to price them, as they are so different to your 2/3 bed semi on the estate. I had a nightmare day today, what i'd predicted and priced at 2 largish jobs, about 3 and half hours turned out as 7 grueling hours. i mean grueling, as when i realised id underestimated, I went flat out, like running a marathon to try and get some half decent hourly rate. Well, you live and learn I guess. But in future, for these type places im always gonna overestimate, and tell them this, and say if its quicker than I thought, i'll reduce it. They were bad, one inside and out, trad, and was filthy on outside, the other used to have wfp, and dont want it so said would trad it as I need work, it was about 20 windows, comprising in total about 700 french panes. God i was knackered. Id said 60, but it really should be at least 95. They weren't there but will have to say i cant do it in future for less. the other got a ton for, which should really have been 140. getting too old to go at it like that, pictured a heart attack what with smoking heavy etc. I dunno, swings and roundabouts I spose.

Was approached last month by a neighbour of a new customer asking to be added to my regular list came across friendly, said had mobility issues ( on crutches) so would take a little longer to get to door etc, took down his details shook his hand and thought I’m going to enjoy working for this customer, turn up today for his first clean walking toward his house notice flowers tied to his gate was then told he died in his sleep three weeks ago, mid forties.

lost a few customers over the few years I’ve been cleaning, usually get to clean their gaff before it happens.

Was approached last month by a neighbour of a new customer asking to be added to my regular list came across friendly, said had mobility issues ( on crutches) so would take a little longer to get to door etc, took down his details shook his hand and thought I’m going to enjoy working for this customer, turn up today for his first clean walking toward his house notice flowers tied to his gate was then told he died in his sleep three weeks ago, mid forties.

lost a few customers over the few years I’ve been cleaning, usually get to clean their gaff before it happens.
yeh this is sad. ive some nice fairly old customers and you just know its gonna happen. one old peoples complex where I do a few flats, recently two people were found dead in their flats and been there for months. the cutbacks meant theres no warden there anymore. 

Worryingly most of the customers i've been picking up lately are old timers and i keep thinking to myself i'm not going to have them long..

I've been mulling over trying houses out in the country but as i'm car / barrel based i can't take as much pure with me as a van operator and i can see that becoming a big issue for me.

Funny you should say this spruce, i was thinking to myself the other week “should we shift our advertising more out of town?” I’ve had to drop a few local to me because parking has now become impossible anywhere near there houses. They changed the road layout, congestion has increased dramatically and parking has been lost. Such a shame as they were long standing regulars whod been with is since the start. Trouble is if i go out of town i charge a minimum of £50 and getting that in the past for windows would be a struggle. For gutters its worth it definitely but windows hmmm. We shall see. 

yeh ive started doing that, as the town I live in people come in from miles away to work. Trouble is, Im finding it tricky to price them, as they are so different to your 2/3 bed semi on the estate. I had a nightmare day today, what i'd predicted and priced at 2 largish jobs, about 3 and half hours turned out as 7 grueling hours. i mean grueling, as when i realised id underestimated, I went flat out, like running a marathon to try and get some half decent hourly rate. Well, you live and learn I guess. But in future, for these type places im always gonna overestimate, and tell them this, and say if its quicker than I thought, i'll reduce it. They were bad, one inside and out, trad, and was filthy on outside, the other used to have wfp, and dont want it so said would trad it as I need work, it was about 20 windows, comprising in total about 700 french panes. God i was knackered. Id said 60, but it really should be at least 95. They weren't there but will have to say i cant do it in future for less. the other got a ton for, which should really have been 140. getting too old to go at it like that, pictured a heart attack what with smoking heavy etc. I dunno, swings and roundabouts I spose.

Rural work is always much more and you have to also consider time and mileage to get there.

I'm sure you will be able to reduce the time taken with the second clean though. The first clean can sometimes be a nightmare.

Funny you should say this spruce, i was thinking to myself the other week “should we shift our advertising more out of town?” I’ve had to drop a few local to me because parking has now become impossible anywhere near there houses. They changed the road layout, congestion has increased dramatically and parking has been lost. Such a shame as they were long standing regulars whod been with is since the start. Trouble is if i go out of town i charge a minimum of £50 and getting that in the past for windows would be a struggle. For gutters its worth it definitely but windows hmmm. We shall see. 

I don't like parking on customer's driveways but do for a couple of cleans we do. If there are cars parked on the drive we skip the house until we are passing by again which might be in a couple of days.

We have all had a fair share of this @riggy. As @Part Timer says its easier to handle when you have a full work schedule but tough when you are starting out.

We have had a few new cleans in the past requested by a customer without the consent of their partner and is probably why they were cancelled before we even did them. We once had a new customer who didn't want her husband to find out she had employed our services. That went on for a few cleans before he found out and it didn't end well. He blamed us for coning his wife into agreeing window cleaning services whereas she approached us in the street whilst we were working a few doors down. Who knows what she told him. So we now ensure that all parties are aware of us window cleaning before we start.

We have done the exterior clean of my wife's boss' house and factory unit for the last 6 years. Six weeks ago he asked us to do a once of internal clean as well as they were hosting a party this past long weekend.

When we had finished the lady of the house asked us to schedule the insides to be cleaned every 3 months along with the regular 4 week external clean. "That's fine by me" I said, "but please can you inform the boss of the arrangement." "I am the boss" she said, " and you only need my permission." We had a good laugh but I will make sure personally that the boss who pays our bill is aware of the new arrangement.
This got me thinking along with the fact that I had been wondering this about a long term client of a few years, who I know has done well for herself over the years, I got a text last week asking to cancel due to finances, but it made me wonder if it was her partner of around a year or so who was cancelling as the replies just didn't feel right to me and even the offer to change to a 8 weekly schedule was totally blanked. 

I don't like parking on customer's driveways but do for a couple of cleans we do. If there are cars parked on the drive we skip the house until we are passing by again which might be in a couple of days.
This always bugged me in the past, maybe out of being polite, but it stopped bothering me sometime ago as I have no choice on some jobs, last week a client had to wait for me to finish and get off his drive so he could get parked, but there was no other parking available and he was totally fine about it. 

well just lost the secound of two who wanted cleans and then canseled befor the first clean was even done...lol  first one called me after a flyer drop, only way to clean conservatory was via next doors, i said ask them if its ok to do that, she said alrite then never herd back, now the other one, who again called me after flyer drop then after i quoted said ok great and would call me after thay got back off holiday in two weeks time. i thought well proberly wont hear back. but then thay call me on phone saying please come round for first clean, i said ok can come later this week will let u know a day and time, then i text them a date...heard nothing back....then text them again with another date...nothing back....just got a text now saying wife dosent want the extra exspence...ah well,   i realy thought thay would be ones that were genuine, after all it was them calling me all those times. proves u never can tell. just need my other  so say regulares to cansle on me now...lol  its a very fickly type of trade this, its amazing me what some say thay are chargeing on here for cleans. got a job on ur hands to get 14 quid for a 3 bed semi round here. feels like ur selling something no one really wants or sees any value in the job if thay do. then all u hear from people is the markets swamped with window cleaners, getting the feelings thats the reality of it. people say theres endless amounts of glass out there, yes thats true, but theres very few genuine people who do want regulare cleans and willing to pay fair price. thats what there is very little of. 
You just need to change the way you're doing things. Be a little more precise with when you'll be round. Text reminder the night before, job done. Don't go texting people saying ''would you like your windows cleaned tomorrow'' or anything of the sort. Instead its ''Hello Bob, its Riggy from Riggys window cleaning. Just a reminder you're booked in tomorrow tom have your windows cleaned''.... Done, no option to cancel, it's not a question its a statement and as they've already booked in this is all you need.

If you're struggling to get £14 for a 3 bed semi that's psychological. Just go on FB and look for prestige window cleaning (apologies for using you as an example if you're on here) those guys were advertising £12.50 for a 3 bed semi... Look a little further and there is much more to it, the first clean is double, the £12.50 is only for 4 weekly customers, 8 weekly are £17.50... So they've got £25 for the first clean and then £17.50 every 8 weeks.... Put yourself a pricing plan together like this.

I almost lost my first customer today, the warning signs were there when I first got it about 4 months ago.  They said that the last window cleaner just stopped coming, they have an electronic gated property which they won't provide the code, they were reluctant to accept direct debit.

Anyway so last month I text night before with no reply, got there next day and gate was shut, couldn't get access.  I sent a text later that day to say that I couldn't get in, got a reply saying that they did reply to my text (they definitely didn't), they had proof of the reply and said they wasn't going to be in.  So I was like 'well yeah don't worry these things happen...' and basically just did the clean the following week.

So last night I sent the text, again no reply, got there today and yes you guessed it, gate shut.  This time I rang the customer, customer said they sent a text back saying they didn't need to be cleaned, customer was a bit erratic with not finishing one excuse before starting the next excuse, first they said is was too early and not yet 4 weeks (it was bang on 4 weeks), then they said can't I do it next week (why would that make a difference?), then they said they're just not dirty (I explained that they shouldn't look dirty, they are cleaned before they look dirty), then they said that they couldn't afford it.  

They basically said why does it have to be cleaned so often, if I can't make it any longer like 5 or 6 weeks then they will cancel.  It was at this point that I remembered that this morning I was thinking how well I've done not to lose any customers so just as I was about to call it quits I suggested she moved to 8 weeks with a 25% price increase, she said that's great and seemed happy, but I just know that this one isn't going to be a long term one.  It's a shame because the house is really nice, it's immaculate and well kept, they have got 2 windows that are a killer to clean and I dread doing them but I always give it my all.  

The problem is they will eventually part company with my service, then they will be stuck trying to find somebody like they were when they found me.  Just doesn't make sense, you either want a window cleaner or you don't.

Anyway onwards and upwards, with the extra time I went out dropping leaflets and got a call from a very nice house who said they have been crying out for a window cleaner for years, go to quote on Monday with another quote already booked.  1 further enquiry via text.  It's true what everyone says, you just have to keep at it, somebody knocks you down just jump back up keep going at it.  

This week I have made £190, next week should be about £210, my goal at the moment is to hit £200 per week on the regulars, then £250 then £300.  One off's and extra's should be seen as bonuses, it's the regulars that are the bread and butter.
Well said. There are quite a few time wasters out there but also a lot of genuine good customers. It's a numbers game and after time your customer base will look after itself. If you provide a good reliable service and keep in contact with your customers letting them know when you're cleaning or if you can't for whatever reason they will appreciate that too. Recommendations will also start to come from a good strong customer base and generating new business. 

yer i knew these things would happen. cant expect it not too.  the bit thats dishartening is that i want to do the work, i want to be busy. i like doing this. the ones i have done i have got a great feeling when its finished, it all looks fresh and bright. but just cant get the work...lol   one good thing that did happen is getting a call from a woman in an area i havnt canvassed, i ask her how did she get my number ? told me she was saying to someone she worked with she needed a window cleaner and thay gave her the leaflet i put thought there door.   she was a nice lady too, her dad was a window cleaner and i met him when i came to do them. think its only turned out to be a one off but thats ok. 36 pound for a 3 bed semi with a tiny conservatory i was there for hour and a half. its the most iv ever made by the hour by miles even minus the expenses of the pure water.   she had got quotes from the established windy companies but thay were asking prices she couldn't really afford on the income she was on.  its the only real advantage u have as a little unknow basic set up guy. 

When quoting a job like this if they won’t trust us with the gate code then they aren’t a customer I want or need , I would politely explain why we wouldn’t want the job , it’s ridiculous that they won’t give you the code , they have approached you to do a job for them , then they won’t give you access to the property?.. time wasters , move on I bet they would be problem payer  as well , I don’t know if Ime particularly lucky  or what but we never get the issues that most post on hear , Ime sure it’s all to do with explaining how you work what you will do for the customer and what the customer needs to do for  you , for things to run smoothly for all concerned, if I get so much as an inkling that there is going to be a problem I explain again and ask if they are happy with what I have said ,again any hesitation and I walk away , this might sound harsh but if you let the customer muck you about with not in or don’t look dirty ,leave it this time they will pick and choose when the job is done , you cannot run a buisness this way especialy when employing .  To many let the customer dictate  to them the terms and conditions , set your stall out straight from the beginning and you will rarely get these issues .

When quoting a job like this if they won’t trust us with the gate code then they aren’t a customer I want or need , I would politely explain why we wouldn’t want the job , it’s ridiculous that they won’t give you the code , they have approached you to do a job for them , then they won’t give you access to the property?.. time wasters , move on I bet they would be problem payer  as well , I don’t know if Ime particularly lucky  or what but we never get the issues that most post on hear , Ime sure it’s all to do with explaining how you work what you will do for the customer and what the customer needs to do for  you , for things to run smoothly for all concerned, if I get so much as an inkling that there is going to be a problem I explain again and ask if they are happy with what I have said ,again any hesitation and I walk away , this might sound harsh but if you let the customer muck you about with not in or don’t look dirty ,leave it this time they will pick and choose when the job is done , you cannot run a buisness this way especialy when employing .  To many let the customer dictate  to them the terms and conditions , set your stall out straight from the beginning and you will rarely get these issues .

I fully agree, problem is that when needing the money you have to put up with some things until the money starts to properly roll in.  These are on direct debit so payment side is ok.  

I'm thinking of offering a service for this type of customer that is 4 times per year but billed every month on direct debit.  So £10 per month and cleaned 3 or 4 times per year, if the gates locked or any issues like that then it's no skin off my nose as the money is paid upfront.  I think some people just don't like the shock of paying £30 or so for window cleaning and obviously there are some that don't budget their money very well so a £30 dd is something they notice.  If it was £10 per month then it seems like nothing to worry about (peanuts) but I'd be in the driving seat as the money keeps coming in automatically each month.

Back