Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pump stopped working, dont think its airlock

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Wonder if anyone has any ideas. All that i can find is problems with airlocks, which I have had in the past. Today though, my pump doesnt even make a sound. The batterys fully charged, but when I turn it on, the lights come on, the green and red, not the blue, so i take it its not dead ending, but the pump wont make a sound. This is a first for me. Anyone else may've had this problem, would be great to know how you solved it,

many thanks

Wonder if anyone has any ideas. All that i can find is problems with airlocks, which I have had in the past. Today though, my pump doesnt even make a sound. The batterys fully charged, but when I turn it on, the lights come on, the green and red, not the blue, so i take it its not dead ending, but the pump wont make a sound. This is a first for me. Anyone else may've had this problem, would be great to know how you solved it,

many thanks

Try taking the fuse out and cleaning it if  it’s slightly corroded it might give enough power to light the light but not power the pump , sometimes the motors can stick gently try tapping the pump housing on the side with a hammer handle  this might help free it up if that’s the case , apart fro that and air locks don’t know what else to suggest 

Try taking the fuse out and cleaning it if  it’s slightly corroded it might give enough power to light the light but not power the pump , sometimes the motors can stick gently try tapping the pump housing on the side with a hammer handle  this might help free it up if that’s the case , apart fro that and air locks don’t know what else to suggest 
Yeh will try that. It started playing up last week, and I pushed the wires and stuff about and tapped here and there, and it would work. then be fine for a while, and suddenly nothing. Its not that old and not heavily used so would be very annoyed with shurflow if it was kaput. (is over 1 year old though but you'd expect a good 5 year out of it)

Yeh will try that. It started playing up last week, and I pushed the wires and stuff about and tapped here and there, and it would work. then be fine for a while, and suddenly nothing. Its not that old and not heavily used so would be very annoyed with shurflow if it was kaput. (is over 1 year old though but you'd expect a good 5 year out of it)

Just check all the connections in case there is a loose of broken wire 

Just check all the connections in case there is a loose of broken wire 
I just fiddled about with the wires again and its working again. Think I'll have to go over them all. Thing is,could happen again. as there kind of exposed theres not much to stop them catching and getting jolted out of place.Ive got them taped up well, and put in those little lego brick things, but not enough I guess. Wonder if theres proper kit you can get to foolproof them.

Decent ring terminals to connect to your battery, which could be the issue, in the past I used crocodile clips and the wire would get knocked and fray then snap, plus I would disconnect them when charging the battery and I had a similar issue to you.

I now have a battery with twin terminals of 2 different sizes and now the wires from the pump to the battery are never disconnected. 

Decent ring terminals to connect to your battery, which could be the issue, in the past I used crocodile clips and the wire would get knocked and fray then snap, plus I would disconnect them when charging the battery and I had a similar issue to you.

I now have a battery with twin terminals of 2 different sizes and now the wires from the pump to the battery are never disconnected. 
 I bring the battery indoors to charge, used to use croc clips too but now got decent connections to battery terminals. i think its one of the other wires knocking in and out maybe. they do seem a bit exposed and open to jolting etc. mind you, they,ve gone a long while with no probs. is a bit cramped and overcrowded in the back there, Transit connect is not quite big enough i reckon.

As the previous posts check the wiring to the pump. It sounds as if the loose connection may actually be inside the pump body. Also be on teh lookout for any exposed copper core which could ground down to metal.

Found out its the brown wire, going into one of the lego block connectors and the other side of the block it goes to the remote one stop antennae. they were both in place, but have tightened them up more but expect it to happen again.

Thing is, I'd have thought that would only affect using the one stop, not just using the controller/pump in general. or maybe you cant use the controller if that bit is out? 

Found out its the brown wire, going into one of the lego block connectors and the other side of the block it goes to the remote one stop antennae. they were both in place, but have tightened them up more but expect it to happen again.

Thing is, I'd have thought that would only affect using the one stop, not just using the controller/pump in general. or maybe you cant use the controller if that bit is out? 
Ahh you have a one shot stand alone radio remote. The brown is the live switch between the controller and pump so if there is a break in that cable its the same as switching the pump off. The Screw connector blocks you are using ( lego block) rely on a screw to tighten down on the the cable core. Over time with the van moving around this connection could work loose. A suggestion would be to switch the screw connector blocks for bullet connectors which crimp on to the cable core more tightly and are much less likely to work loose over time.  

Ahh you have a one shot stand alone radio remote. The brown is the live switch between the controller and pump so if there is a break in that cable its the same as switching the pump off. The Screw connector blocks you are using ( lego block) rely on a screw to tighten down on the the cable core. Over time with the van moving around this connection could work loose. A suggestion would be to switch the screw connector blocks for bullet connectors which crimp on to the cable core more tightly and are much less likely to work loose over time.  
Great idea, my mates got all crimpers and connectors at his work (I used to work there too and they've got a huge assortment of stuff) guess they should have really, being called Electronic terminations

While a spray of electronic cleaner can help out for a while, its not a permanent solution. Building a small connection box in a waterproof electronics enclosure with a proper screw terminal block and ring terminals (and maybe even a smal bag of desiccant), will make a stable and reliable setup that will last for years.

Shout out if you want some eBay links to the stuff I use.

Back