Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

window cleaning tips

WCF

Help Support WCF:

paddie

Good evening all,

just started trying to learn basic window cleaning techniques but seem to be struggling a lot with streaks of water being left around the edges of the glass near the rubber seal when using straight down strokes.

I am using a basic Unger channel with a basic Unger handle and have bought the ergotec version too but am having the same issue with both.

the channel is 14inch but the rubber overhangs each end by approx 5mm.

I find even with cleaning a line at the top of the window with a cloth and using a dry squeegee I still get streaks at the top on straight down pulls and always miss upto an inch in some cases along the vertical edges.

hopefully the photos below will help make more sense if I haven't described it so well.

I have tried to attempt the 's' technique but have failed miserably but will keep practising.

could it be that I need to cut a little of the rubber on each side or maybe try dog-earing the channel?

the rubber is the original one that came with it from the store.

kind regards in advance 

image5-2.jpeg

image4-2.jpeg

image3-2.jpeg

image2-4.jpeg

image1-5.jpeg

Mate you need to get on YouTube and start watching the videos on there, there is hundreds of them.

The unger stuff is ****, throw it away and get a wagtail or similar.

Liquidators are good but maybe not the best to learn with.

A few ideas. Unger is fine apart from ninja. 

I use a microfibre cloth and wipe the frame and glass after mopping so there is very little soap left around the edges, then I blade off. I use a linen scrim to dry off any edges. 

For internal glass done trad, a vinegar based window cleaner spray and bladed off works well 

Watch some of the tradman videos he's posted on you tube using the moerman set up. I use the same equipment and there is very little detailing required. Also using the correct squeegee rubber that suits you is another factor. I have used all different squegee rubbers over time and now I'm using the black diamond brand. 

The big problem is probably your tool and rubber.When I have seen squeegees in stores etc and felt the rubber ,I always smile and think I wouldn,t dream of using this c**p.

Get a 10inch squeegee from a window cleaning supplier. If your using Unger no problem, get a Unger. You will see the difference a professional bit a kit is from one sold to joe public, And remember the rubber is most important, if there is a nick on it etc it will transfer to the window( even a new piece may be flawed/damaged). You want to try straight pulls first ok, but do not dry too much from the top of the frame  just about half a inch. Using a good squeegee and rubber will make the difference.

As for "S" techniques, find a big window, soap it up with mixture of water and detergent so as to supply "slip" for your rubber and just go practice your technique, do not try to do all the window, edges etc, just the main part of the window(your practicing turning the squeegee mainly for your "S" technique), and remember  PROPER ANGLE of the rubber on the window. 10inch is also the best all round size,get that right and you will be using that most........larger sizes channels are more difficult to manage.

Thanks for all the tips guys. 

I am using the stuff that came with my starter kit from the cleaning warehouses the only thing I have bought extra is the ergotec handle. 

Have just checked the rubber in the 2 channels at present is Unger soft. And the spare length of rubber they have provided is ‘zlong’.

I have watched many of the YouTube videos over the past couple of weeks including tradman, Luke, steveo and green pro clean.

I guess it’s just practise practise practise. 

I will give the black diamond rubber a go. 

Also anyone one have any experience of the ‘zlong’ rubber? Any good or shall I use it in a 6 inch channel to clear window sills? 

Kind regards again all and have a good day.

A6C9769D-2388-44B8-BF39-2043A5ADEDA3.jpeg

A62D1706-1E16-4AB5-94EB-BB5919D8492E.jpeg

9434BDD5-1A25-4A82-9EB9-9020C9385E84.jpeg

C227782F-F037-4147-91C9-5EAEC7FB9CA5.jpeg

F4452AD2-92F0-445C-98A0-FF53B4992072.jpeg

0D8ADFA6-9ADC-4916-B74C-7CDF5F3ACB33.jpeg

17863B0F-7EEF-4201-B9CA-364C4FD379C8.jpeg

Don't spend anymore money on tools. The Unger squeegee with Unger soft is what I have been using for 12+ years.

You will get a few millimetres of soap at the sides that happens. Detail with scrim or microfiber cloth afterwards.

When I first started all I did was straight pulls, until I got the hang of fanning. If your not cutting it in, and doing a straight pull you will get about an inch of soapy drag while the rubber cuts through the water.

Give it a few short pulls at the top before coming all the way down. This will help reduce that. Tapping the squeegee on a soapy part of the window or drying the leading edge of the squeegee of a little will also help.

Mate you need to get on YouTube and start watching the videos on there, there is hundreds of them.

The unger stuff is ****, throw it away and get a wagtail or similar.

Liquidators are good but maybe not the best to learn with.
bad advice mate IMO....unger stuff make good solid trad gear and have done for many years...ive been using unger ergotech squeegees for over 20 years with unger soft rubber too.....

the last thing he needs is a wagtail or a liquidator being a newbie!?

Don't spend anymore money on tools. The Unger squeegee with Unger soft is what I have been using for 12+ years.

You will get a few millimetres of soap at the sides that happens. Detail with scrim or microfiber cloth afterwards.

When I first started all I did was straight pulls, until I got the hang of fanning. If your not cutting it in, and doing a straight pull you will get about an inch of soapy drag while the rubber cuts through the water.

Give it a few short pulls at the top before coming all the way down. This will help reduce that. Tapping the squeegee on a soapy part of the window or drying the leading edge of the squeegee of a little will also help.
now this is good advice for a trad newbie.......?

There is going to be a learning curve either way, so may as well learn with a proper squeegee. The wagtail high flyer is a brilliant squeegee, saves loads of time and when dogeared like mine leaves no detailing.

Why waste your time learning a slow and frustrating way of cleaning windows? I learnt that way and wish I would never have bothered, wasted years fooling around with scrims which aint cheap either. Took me ages to clean a window. I never use a scrim nowadays, the glass comes up perfect in no time. Eventually you'll want to clean windows quickly and efficiently  with little fuss, so jump right in and get on the fast track.

Check out "wagga" to learn more about wagtails and dogearing. Also "poles n bladz" has really nailed down speed and efficiency.

Get stuck in with some proper gear, you wont regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back