Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

On average how much do you earn on a 7-8 hour day?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Macclesfield

Hi guys 

Just wondering how much other people are earning a day...?

Im pretty new to wfp window cleaning, my average day would bring in around £150 in Congleton and Macclesfield, my works not very compact. 

Also please put your location and how compact your work is in general. 

I understand some ppl wouldn’t like to disclose how much they earn.. 

Thanks, Luke. 

Ime not prepared to say what we earn per day but I know some do between £200 on there own up to £1000 per day with two people doing commercial work , some parts of the country are more prepared to pay higher prices than others , but if you have just started £150 a days good and as you get more experience and more compact work you will find that you will do more , it’s also about how you work and the type of work you do , if you can charge more for first cleans do so it they will take longer .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys 

Im pretty new to wfp window cleaning, my average day would bring in around £150 in Congleton and Macclesfield, my works not very compact. 

Thanks, Luke. 

Personally I wouldn't worry about what others are doing or say they are doing. Its not about them, its about you.

A windies daily turnover is just a meaningless figure to any one else as that turnover is then subject to running expenses and wages.

So someone who employs and turns over £300 a day could well be worse off than a sole trader turning over £150 a day with lower running costs.

That's my opinion.

IMHO most window cleaners will earn somewhere between £150-£250 a day. You get the odd day which is a good £250+ then you might get a horror of a day and do £140 it happens. There will be the odd chap doing £300 a day every day as hes doing all cream. 

I wouldn't worry about what other people say they're cleaning just be happy with what you're doing.

£150 a day is a very good starting off point. 

Below is the longest standing franchisee i have and this is for this week. Myself and the others have nothing to hide as i am trying to get everyone on GoCardless. I have asked for his permission for the screen shot. 

3 days.png

This is myself and a new franchisee i am training. There was a decent sized job in there as well. 

None of the above is willy waving.

myself and new guy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys 

Thanks, Luke. 
your doing well luke if you ve just started up....?

i generally earn between £200-£300 a day depending on what works due but i have over 300 jobs all in a 2 mile area built up over many years so very compact.

i dont work 7-8 hours in a day..i cant remember the last time i did....my days are short(4-6 hours max)

My six hour days (8-2 at the very latest) net me about £200. Some days I'm done faster and I get less but I try and hit the 200 mark each day I work and formulate the routes to support that.

£150 is a perfectly decent starting point imo.

I started Trad window cleaning 2yrs ago and i was happy with a ton a day. Now i have discovered wfp then the sky's the limit. Its the Time that it saves is the big bonus and the condition of the windows it leaves behind. You can even go higher than a ladder, its just a win,win scenario and you never go back to Trad even for ground floor windows. 

what helps you to achieve your daily earnings target quicker,easier and more efficiently?....... EVERYTHING!

1.more jobs closer together

2.years of experience

3.better at pricing jobs

4.electric reel

5.hot water

6.very light carbon poles and brushes

7.univalve

8.high flow 

9.round software on smartphone(easier to organize work,etc)

10.toolbox with spares,spare poles,brushes,connectors

11.waterproof jackets(at least 2 in the van)

12.always take a packed lunch and flask to work every day

Personally I wouldn't worry about what others are doing or say they are doing. Its not about them, its about you.

A windies daily turnover is just a meaningless figure to any one else as that turnover is then subject to running expenses and wages.

So someone who employs and turns over £300 a day could well be worse off than a sole trader turning over £150 a day with lower running costs.

That's my opinion.
true spruce.....

my expenses are around the £7k mark every year,a lot of sole traders will be spending less,a grand goes on diesel just to heat my water every day throughout the year and i have the lease on my van as well as spending out on expensive xtreme poles.,plus i like decent wet weather gear and workwear.....

out of around £45k turnover im left with around £30k profit after expenses,tax and NI......which is only £576 a week(spread over 52 weeks of the year)but here in the north west i can live quite comfortably on that........

true spruce.....

my expenses are around the £7k mark every year,a lot of sole traders will be spending less,a grand goes on diesel just to heat my water every day throughout the year and i have the lease on my van as well as spending out on expensive xtreme poles.,plus i like decent wet weather gear and workwear.....

out of around £45k turnover im left with around £30k profit after expenses,tax and NI......which is only £576 a week(spread over 52 weeks of the year)but here in the north west i can live quite comfortably on that........

The year before lasts tax year showed my running costs at 45% of my turnover excluding earnings. (Running costs are van, insurances, fuel, servicing, MOT, RFL, water purification and wfp equipment, phone, heating, etc.) So if we bring in £150 that day I'm left with £82.50. Someone like your self will be able to do much more work a day so that % could be lower. But it all depends on your setup as you say.

On the other hand a trad cleaner has minimal expenses so his running costs will be very little percentage wise compared to mine. If he could do £150 a day then possibily £130 of that will be his earnings.

The year before lasts tax year showed my running costs at 45% of my turnover excluding earnings. (Running costs are van, insurances, fuel, servicing, MOT, RFL, water purification and wfp equipment, phone, heating, etc.) So if we bring in £150 that day I'm left with £82.50. Someone like your self will be able to do much more work a day so that % could be lower. But it all depends on your setup as you say.

On the other hand a trad cleaner has minimal expenses so his running costs will be very little percentage wise compared to mine. If he could do £150 a day then possibily £130 of that will be his earnings.
something doesnt sound right there spruce or im i reading it wrong?

around 16% of my turnover is expenses(running costs).....16% of £45,000 is £7,200..........before tax and NI......

around £160 a week goes on running costs/expenses spruce over the course of a 46 week year(excluding time off and holidays)which works out at £32 a day(5 day working week).....so i dont know where your getting your figures from....

i think i'm reading it wrong too dazmond, I did look at my overheads last year and it was a bit frightening if i'm honest but, compared to turnover it was around 20%, this tax year it may be a few percent higher as equipment is needing repair/ replacement it seems on a monthly basis at the moment its just one of those things, extreme pole sections, pole hose and the reel hose is soon going to pack in.

my biggest expense is fuel and servicing costs,(the van is serviced every six months regardless of mileage).

I think the o/p is doing well at £150 a day for a new starter and well done, but that is turnover, not profit.

turnover is vanity  profit is sanity  very wise words given to me a few years ago by a wealthy business man.

just for the record, I normally turnover anywhere between £150 to £200 plus per day but that's turnover so profit margins vary from day to day as you can imagine 

i only service my van once a year.twice seems a bit much.....do you do a lot of miles kevin?i average around 3500 miles a year in my van as most work is only 15 mins drive away.....

I do maybe 8,000 miles a year but i'm mechanically minded and know that by just changing the oil along with flushing oil and a new filter will prolong wear and tear, new fuel and air filter gives the van a new lease of life , its about £50 in parts and an hour or so one sunday morning to do it myself, stop starting and low mileage then you really need to have it serviced twice a year just because the oil won't reach the temps to protect the engine, twice yearly servicing will keep a van going for years low milage and constant stop starting is a killer for diesel engines 

I just got bumped for tomorrows job because the guy has a massive house but little money for upkeep. Its basically the same as what has been discussed, all show and no dough. If on the other hand i had a full round then i could only get bumped for a tenner or twenty at the most. That's why its important to view every job even if its 8 miles away. I did one on those block of 8 flats at the river front and posted my (new window cleaner) cards through the other 7 flats. Got a call tonight to clean another one at a tenner a month and the other one has set up a standing order with my bank. Sometimes it all just falls into place by accident.

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity but cash is reality.

Bloody hell Daz I thought I did low mileage @ 5500/6000 miles per year.

Spruce you are a very switched on guy , but theses figures cannot be right 45% expenses is crazy , you might as well be an employee in a supermarket . 

I do maybe 8,000 miles a year but i'm mechanically minded and know that by just changing the oil along with flushing oil and a new filter will prolong wear and tear, new fuel and air filter gives the van a new lease of life , its about £50 in parts and an hour or so one sunday morning to do it myself, stop starting and low mileage then you really need to have it serviced twice a year just because the oil won't reach the temps to protect the engine, twice yearly servicing will keep a van going for years low milage and constant stop starting is a killer for diesel engines 
personally i think your wrong.....a service once a year is fine,twice a year is overkill......as for doing low mileage in a diesel van.....i  dont think that does them any harm either,less wear and tear on the suspension,brakes,tyres...everything really....only thing is the DPF can get clogged if im not driving long distances but i give it some welly on the motorway every so often....my vans only 2 and a half years old with 9000 miles on the clock....ive had 2 oil changes in that time,thats it...but at 3 years old  ill get the fuel and air filter changed too when i take it for its first MOT.....

I suppose your gonna say idling my van every lunchtime for 30 mins(to put some extra charge into my leisure batteries for my diesel heater)is bad for my engine too....?

diesel vans are built to be used and abused!.........?

Back