Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ER....., well that esculated quickly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

Finished my van build after 3 months and i start advertising locally in a magazine, no worries, i advertise on fb, no worries, i post leaflets and get threatened twice in 2 days....am i missing something here????

Hey @Part Timer yeah vans up for sale as I've had a long chat with the wife and at the minute it seems the best course for us, I was doing it for less stress in my life and to have it threatened by people you don't know really isn't what I was looking for, maybe I did something wrong or didn't think, either way I can't be assed with that sort of **** on a daily basis... Not sure what to do or anything at the moment but if the van sells then it was not for me in the first place... Oh well

Hey @Part Timer yeah vans up for sale as I've had a long chat with the wife and at the minute it seems the best course for us, I was doing it for less stress in my life and to have it threatened by people you don't know really isn't what I was looking for, maybe I did something wrong or didn't think, either way I can't be assed with that sort of **** on a daily basis... Not sure what to do or anything at the moment but if the van sells then it was not for me in the first place... Oh well
Dont let the POSs beat you mate, they are obv not confident that they are good enough to keep their work or they wouldnt be bothered.

Worst case scenario get proof of threats and call old bill.

I know a lot have been through the exact same thing as me and I know most would be up for fighting back, but the clue is in the fact that I have a very stressful life and was looking for less not more, never knew the window cleaning game was so bloody cut throat... Just really deflated and my wife is worried for my health which is a big factor in what to do... God only knows what's best... I appreciate the replies guys ?

I know a lot have been through the exact same thing as me and I know most would be up for fighting back, but the clue is in the fact that I have a very stressful life and was looking for less not more, never knew the window cleaning game was so bloody cut throat... Just really deflated and my wife is worried for my health which is a big factor in what to do... God only knows what's best... I appreciate the replies guys ?
All empty threats I'd bet, justcrack on theyll soon shut up. Odds are theyre not insured and on the hobble. 

Yeah warrington/Wigan way..its really unnerved the wife and she's quite shocked with it all, just don't want stress, might just let customers come to me through my current advertising

On plus note my van builds turned out brilliant ??

Yeah warrington/Wigan way..its really unnerved the wife and she's quite shocked with it all, just don't want stress, might just let customers come to me through my current advertising
I can understand the Wife being a bit scared by it all but as @Clisty1989says they'll be a big bag of noise and nothing else. Did they ring you and threaten you or come up to you? If it's the first way just tell them you've reported them and their number to the Police, very much doubt you'll hear anymore squeaks out of them.

i dont know how those jerks that threatened you can sleep at night. Ah, i do.Because those types of idiots dont have a conscience or enough intelligence to care. 

Phoned me giving it loads and to be fair after calming the situation we spoke about everything and both have offered advice not to blanket leaflet areas as this is poaching, knocking on doors is more acceptable.. Is that the case? 

Phoned me giving it loads and to be fair after calming the situation we spoke about everything and both have offered advice not to blanket leaflet areas as this is poaching, knocking on doors is more acceptable.. Is that the case? 
Personally would prefer people to flyer my customers rather than knock on their doors as door knocking gets better results. Not that losing them would be of great concern as the good customers would either bin the flyer or say they were happy with their current window cleaner. Let the dust settle with the Mrs and go again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean @Part Timerbut the only time i have had issue is when i went blanket leafleting estates, i have an advert in a local magzine that goes to thousands of homes, i might just stick with this for now as it isnt my primary income and like i say i was doing it for less stress.

We live in a free country anyone can canvas or leaflet where they want there is no such thing as a patch , if you do a good job you have nothing to fear about loosing customers I charge 3 x more than others do that have tried muscling in on my commercial work and they still have me do it , I would get the number of the phone they have called from and vehicle details and report them to the police ,just call there bluff I doubt they will do anything , we di some work in Bristol and about 15 years ago had someone tell me to leave there patch , I have a sighn written van and got a load of threatening phone calls , reported  it to the police and never had any more trouble . When you are starting out it’s not easy and some will try and  intimidate you just politely carry on with what you are doing and inform them they are being filmed and recorded and this footage will be given to the police , theses days there are so many cctv it’s easy to get the footage from the buildings and public cctv to prove what has happened , you have obviously worked hard to set up your van and get work don’t let theses Neanderthal thugs spoil it fir you . 

Look forward to the day I get threatened... I’ll bring out my inna ninja skills waving around my CLX.

Advertise in any platform. Knock and leaflet any door you wish! I’ve picked up loads of customers due to them “not knowing how to find a new window cleaner” 

keep your head up man... followed by that pole ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the kn0b heads that threaten are dole bums with very few customers that bump up their benefits with tax free money. these idiots rarely work large areas some times only a few streets walking distance. Good news is they hibernate from late September till early May. Did you deliver on any council estates? If so My guess is that’s where it came from. I also think you’ve been unlucky maybe give yourself another chance and weather the storm as it can be extremely stress free.

**** em.

If it’s a stress free life you want, then window cleaning is for you.

Don't be put off by a couple of dickheads.

Dont try and **** them off but certainly don’t take any ****.

You have bills to pay like everyone else and it’s fee market economy.

Most window cleaners you meet will want to stop and have a friendly chat.

**** em.

If it’s a stress free life you want, then window cleaning is for you.

Don't be put off by a couple of dickheads.

Dont try and **** them off but certainly don’t take any ****.

You have bills to pay like everyone else and it’s fee market economy.

Most window cleaners you meet will want to stop and have a friendly chat.
@solarpanelcleaningltd thats definatley the aim here, stress free work and your right would defo prefer friends than enemies

I’m from your area and that’s the way SOME cleaners and not just the dole bums still operate around here. I know it’s not right but I can kinda sympathise as they have paid good money for their work and they see it as stealing their customers. Look at it this way, if you was to try and take someone’s job in any other industry you would probs get the same response. Again I’m not condoning this sort of behaviour but that’s just the way it is. It’s kind of a window cleaners code that you don’t step on each other’s toes. At the end of the day though business is business and there are no laws to say you can’t advertise your business in any way so just crack on but I’ve always found it better to be on good terms with other windies in my area rather than enemies. 

I’m from your area and that’s the way SOME cleaners and not just the dole bums still operate around here. I know it’s not right but I can kinda sympathise as they have paid good money for their work and they see it as stealing their customers. Look at it this way, if you was to try and take someone’s job in any other industry you would probs get the same response. Again I’m not condoning this sort of behaviour but that’s just the way it is. It’s kind of a window cleaners code that you don’t step on each other’s toes. At the end of the day though business is business and there are no laws to say you can’t advertise your business in any way so just crack on but I’ve always found it better to be on good terms with other windies in my area rather than enemies. 
hey @Cleanco thanks for your view and opinion on the local area. im just sticking to people approaching me, ill advertise in magazines, fb, reccomendations etc and thats it, that way no one can say i have poached a customer...like working with bloody kids at times

Back