Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Osmosis booster pump install

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tino8358

I need to add a booster pump to my system I have as where I moved to is only getting just under 40psi. Could someone advise me where to put this as on YouTube videos people are putting them in different sections of the system so I'm not sure, thanks

Screenshot_20190917-102508_Samsung Internet.jpg

I need to add a booster pump to my system I have as where I moved to is only getting just under 40psi. Could someone advise me where to put this as on YouTube videos people are putting them in different sections of the system so I'm not sure, thanks

View attachment 17731
I have mine before the pre filters and Ro. Its what i was told by where I bought it from (Daqua) It works very well for me. Some though, have it after the pre filters. This seems to work fine as well.

Before you jump in at the deep end @tino8358 I would check with the supplier and ask which booster pump will work with this r/o.

Originally, they used a booster pump for each membrane; so 2 booster pumps with 2 power packs.

All my processing equipment was supplied by Varitech (Streamline brand). Pressure pump is fitted before a unit the same as shown in the post above 600gpd. Pump fitted before to push through all the tight membranes. Make sure that you get a high enough output pump. Also to make the pump last longer I fitted a double Prefilter unit before the pump, with two sediment fillters. I now use three carbon filters in the 600gpd unit.

So fittings in order of flow :

2 sediment pre-filters in double unit. 

High output booster pump. 

600gpd unit with 3 carbon filters and 2 ro's. 

2 Di vessels. 

1000 litre ibc built into a small, taylor-made, insulated shed. 

Clarke transfer pump (non - submersible) for filling the van tank sits on top of the ibc with the 1inch suction hose going into the ibc through a hole drilled in the filler cap. We use between 450 and 650ltr per day. Our mains pressure is less than 10psi. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All my processing equipment was supplied by Varitech (Streamline brand). Pressure pump is fitted before a unit the same as shown in the post above 600gpd. Pump fitted before to push through all the tight membranes. Make sure that you get a high enough output pump. Also to make the pump last longer I fitted a double Prefilter unit before the pump, with two sediment fillters. I now use three carbon filters in the 600gpd unit.

2 Di vessels. 

Clarke transfer pump (non - submersible) for filling the van tank sits on top of the ibc with the 1inch suction hose going into the ibc through a hole drilled in the filler cap. We use between 450 and 650ltr per day. Our mains pressure is less than 10psi. 
What booster pump are you using?

From the specs @doug atkinson has suggested that the usual booster pump used on small r/o's, ie. the Aquatec 8800, is only suitable for r/os up to 300gpd. But then some us this pump for 450gpd units so I guess throttling back the waste a bit more would help the pump to cope.

What booster pump are you using?

From the specs @doug atkinson has suggested that the usual booster pump used on small r/o's, ie. the Aquatec 8800, is only suitable for r/os up to 300gpd. But then some us this pump for 450gpd units so I guess throttling back the waste a bit more would help the pump to cope.
I won't be near my processing equipment till this afternoon, as it's at a buddy's house. My wife Kathy is going to phone Varitech and see if they have the details on their system. You're right, you need to be careful to match the correct pump to the system. My original system was a single ro, 300 gpd. As I gained customers it was no longer producing quickly enough. I added a second ro in parallel as in the picture in the earlier post. The pump was too slow so for both. Varitech supplied a higher output pump to go on the same motor. 

I'll have as much info as possible later today. ?

I won't be near my processing equipment till this afternoon, as it's at a buddy's house. My wife Kathy is going to phone Varitech and see if they have the details on their system. You're right, you need to be careful to match the correct pump to the system. My original system was a single ro, 300 gpd. As I gained customers it was no longer producing quickly enough. I added a second ro in parallel as in the picture in the earlier post. The pump was too slow so for both. Varitech supplied a higher output pump to go on the same motor. 

I'll have as much info as possible later today. ?
Spruce, I seem to have got myself in a bit of a pickle. I think I've quoted stuff I hadn't intended to. I took some photos of my processing system this afternoon and I'll try to post them later with my wife's help. She's better with that sort of thing than I am but she's out at the moment. ?

A couple of important things come to mind : the booster pump needs to be fitted with a float valve, and the supplier needs to be told it needs to be supplied ready to go. On one occasion Varitech sent me a new motor in more or less bare bones form which would have meant me partly dismantling it and doing the wiring. I had them send me one ready to go and returned that one. 

2 Di vessels. 

Clarke transfer pump (non - submersible) for filling the van tank sits on top of the ibc with the 1inch suction hose going into the ibc through a hole drilled in the filler cap. We use between 450 and 650ltr per day. Our mains pressure is less than 10psi. The booster pump is rated 400gpd.

Ignore the mess in the background, it's mainly frost burst housings from getting caught out before I started using a small, tube heater in freezing weather. 

20190923_151932.jpg

20190923_152249.jpg

20190923_151855.jpg

20190923_151618.jpg

20190923_151822.jpg

Spruce, I seem to have got myself in a bit of a pickle. I think I've quoted stuff I hadn't intended to. I took some photos of my processing system this afternoon and I'll try to post them later with my wife's help. She's better with that sort of thing than I am but she's out at the moment. ?

A couple of important things come to mind : the booster pump needs to be fitted with a float valve, and the supplier needs to be told it needs to be supplied ready to go. On one occasion Varitech sent me a new motor in more or less bare bones form which would have meant me partly dismantling it and doing the wiring. I had them send me one ready to go and returned that one. 

View attachment 17757

View attachment 17758

View attachment 17759

View attachment 17760

View attachment 17761

Thank you. This isn't listed on their site from what I can see. So it must be a special order item.

Thank you. This isn't listed on their site from what I can see. So it must be a special order item.
I just had a look at the Streamline catalogue 2018. It's on page 163, Part no: BP-0400. Not cheap £458.60 without the float valve. I'm not sure if that's including vat. 

I've found it to be a very good piece of equipment. 

I'd always talk with them before ordering such an expensive item. 

I really don't know the technicalities, to be honest. Output is about a litre per minute. As the pump eventually starts to wear you can turn up the pressure on the adjuster screw on the side to increase output. Also you can fit a replacement pump to the motor in a few minutes. 

Back