Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Green algae on wall

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Pressurewasher

Hi there, i was hoping for some advice. Ive got a job on a shop front thats developed green algae on the walls. Problem being is i cant pressure wash it as there is zero water supply. Is there any chemical that i can just spray on it and leave it? Il try get some photos to follow

appreciate any help

Hi there, i was hoping for some advice. Ive got a job on a shop front thats developed green algae on the walls. Problem being is i cant pressure wash it as there is zero water supply. Is there any chemical that i can just spray on it and leave it? Il try get some photos to follow

appreciate any help
Softwash it using wfp to rinse 

tench is spot on Benz Biocleanze is good stuff but won't get immediate results. It's ideal for "spray and leave" if that's what u want. just explain to customer....bit pricey though for one-off small job.

Pij is also right cos hypo works wonders and immediate results but it stinks so be careful ising on shop front if public are passing cos they WILL make comments about using bleach and selling like a swimming pool etc - so use good scent masker - e.g. Bonnymans

but that also not cheap. I've found strong smelling fabric conditioners an acceptable cheap alternative when needed.

(and yes I know all the technicalities / law r.e mixing additives with hypo - so just don't get caught!)

Benz lightning Cleanze will also work faster but also pricey for a one-off and still stinks even with a scent masker added and people still moan.

If i were you i'd buy 5-10litres of 14-15% of hypo off ebay or amazon and fabric conditioner then go down there out of hours, mix hypo with water approx half and half or weaker (60/40/ 70/30)****, spray on with pump sprayer or whatever u want to use, scrub it and if needs be give another spray of hypo then rinse and go home. Algae should ber gone.

Or if u really want to do on the cheap and if algae not too bad go to Tesco and buy a few 2litre thin bleach and use that neat = it's approx one third stremgth of 15% hypo before diluting..I'm not recommending it but it savers money and gets desired result for couple of quid....or spend £60+ on the good stuff with all its residual protection, HSE approval etc (although that's a bit academic unless u are also an approved userr and had the necessary training on safe use of biocides)

And be careful where u spray it - hypo ruins clothes

***What sort of wall is it? Brick? Render?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
tench is spot on Benz Biocleanze is good stuff but won't get immediate results. It's ideal for "spray and leave" if that's what u want. just explain to customer....bit pricey though for one-off small job.

Pij is also right cos hypo works wonders and immediate results but it stinks so be careful ising on shop front if public are passing cos they WILL make comments about using bleach and selling like a swimming pool etc - so use good scent masker - e.g. Bonnymans

but that also not cheap. I've found strong smelling fabric conditioners an acceptable cheap alternative when needed.

(and yes I know all the technicalities / law r.e mixing additives with hypo - so just don't get caught!)

Benz lightning Cleanze will also work faster but also pricey for a one-off and still stinks even with a scent masker added and people still moan.

If i were you i'd buy 5-10litres of 14-15% of hypo off ebay or amazon and fabric conditioner then go down there out of hours, mix hypo with water approx half and half or weaker (60/40/ 70/30)****, spray on with pump sprayer or whatever u want to use, scrub it and if needs be give another spray of hypo then rinse and go home. Algae should ber gone.

Or if u really want to do on the cheap and if algae not too bad go to Tesco and buy a few 2litre thin bleach and use that neat = it's approx one third stremgth of 15% hypo before diluting..I'm not recommending it but it savers money and gets desired result for couple of quid....or spend £60+ on the good stuff with all its residual protection, HSE approval etc (although that's a bit academic unless u are also an approved userr and had the necessary training on safe use of biocides)

And be careful where u spray it - hypo ruins clothes

***What sort of wall is it? Brick? Render?

with the modern scent mask there is no hypo smell at all , we do use bio but it doesn’t give quick results which is what most people want , I explain the two methods and let them choose in 10 years of softwashing I can count on the fingers of one hand  how many have chosen bio , we do use it as an after treatment and sometimes as a before hypo treatment . As for mixing unapproved stuff in hypo be vary careful as it is both illegal and some things will cause  carsonogenic  issues both for you and  anyone who breathes in or gets it on there skin .  

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Am I missing something here? I said Benz was "good stuff but won't get immediate results."

The original post after all was asking for suggestions of a "spray and leave" product. I thought I made it clear other things were faster and I completely agree with you that customers want results and I only use Bio post treatment as I'm convinced of its residual protection and have seen myself how long it lasts. But for spray and leave I don't know anything better.

Nor was I doubting the efficacy of scent makers and said to use a good one.

The point I was making - and having re-read it I didn't make clear - was that Lightning Cleanze (formerly Blackwash but now re-branded) comes with masker included as part of the ingredients, but still smells horrible. Cos it does.

And you're quite right about not mixing certain products with hypo and gases can be caused. But I don't feel the need to lecture as way of demonstrating my knowledge - but I wasn't saying to mix with vinegar or something equally dodgy so not relevant.

But have to point out they are NOT a carcinogen, i.e. cancer causing.

Health & Safety says - The international agency for research on cancer (IARC) has stated there areno datain humans and not enough in laboratory animals to assess if sodium hypochlorite can cause cancer. Sodium hypochlorite is not thought to cause cancerin humans.

Am I missing something here? I said Benz was "good stuff but won't get immediate results."

The original post after all was asking for suggestions of a "spray and leave" product. I thought I made it clear other things were faster and I completely agree with you that customers want results and I only use Bio post treatment as I'm convinced of its residual protection and have seen myself how long it lasts. But for spray and leave I don't know anything better.

Nor was I doubting the efficacy of scent makers and said to use a good one.

The point I was making - and having re-read it I didn't make clear - was that Lightning Cleanze (formerly Blackwash but now re-branded) comes with masker included as part of the ingredients, but still smells horrible. Cos it does.

And you're quite right about not mixing certain products with hypo and gases can be caused. But I don't feel the need to lecture as way of demonstrating my knowledge - but I wasn't saying to mix with vinegar or something equally dodgy so not relevant.

But have to point out they are NOT a carcinogen, i.e. cancer causing.

Health & Safety says - The international agency for research on cancer (IARC) has stated there areno datain humans and not enough in laboratory animals to assess if sodium hypochlorite can cause cancer. Sodium hypochlorite is not thought to cause cancerin humans.

Hypo on its own isn’t a cancer causing substance but mixing it with something as simple as washing up liquid can cause cancer , many times I have seen people advocating to put it in hypo as a surfactant , I have done it myself in the past totally un aware of the potential dangers , I wasn’t criticising your advice just adding to it . 

Adding fabric conditioner etc is stupid

People say about adding zoflora etc to mask the smell but it contains benzalkonium chloride so why would you add a biocide to hypo?

also some washing up liquids will react and some won't. 

you need to know what you are adding and the reactions that will occur.

also studies that are available to see on google have shown that bleach and other household cleaning chemicals can be carcinogenic if breathed in a lot so it's not true to say it isn't carcinogenic 

Thank you all for your reply, very informative. 

I did the job on a sunday. I invested in a tank for the van so i could pressure wash it in the end. It was an investment i was planning before next season anyway as im done with filling up a sulo bin ?. So ended up pressure washing it then hypo and rinse off. Only added surfactant so it would stick better. Im not too bothered about the smell as all the shops were closed. 

Am i right in thinking benz bio is also dog friendly? Ive offered them a spray and leave option going forward as to keep the algae at bay

thanks again for youre knowledge

Thank you all for your reply, very informative. 

I did the job on a sunday. I invested in a tank for the van so i could pressure wash it in the end. It was an investment i was planning before next season anyway as im done with filling up a sulo bin ?. So ended up pressure washing it then hypo and rinse off. Only added surfactant so it would stick better. Im not too bothered about the smell as all the shops were closed. 

Am i right in thinking benz bio is also dog friendly? Ive offered them a spray and leave option going forward as to keep the algae at bay

thanks again for youre knowledge

Bio with pets is ok once it’s dried 

Back