Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

After by passing pressure switch.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Hi all, Ive bypassed the pressure switch on my shurflo and joined the two red wires together. As use a controller should be ok. Now, the water only flows with the callibration **** turned on fully. Is this normal and do I need to do anything else? I guess I cant callibrate it because of this, not sure. Any advise much appreciated.

Unfortunateley my pc aint working at the mo either, (one of those weeks,) so Im popping down to the library to use pc there so may not see your replys for a while till I pop in and out.

Cheers again.

Anyone know? Its no problem to me if the callibration dial has to be fully turned to get the flow, its just that I cant see how I,d callibrate in the future if need be.

Anyone know? Its no problem to me if the callibration dial has to be fully turned to get the flow, its just that I cant see how I,d callibrate in the future if need be.
Varistream advise to bypass the pressure switch. We can adjust calibration as normal.

Maybe this is a question for @Ian Sheppard

Varistream advise to bypass the pressure switch. We can adjust calibration as normal.

Maybe this is a question for @Ian Sheppard
Yes the flow is adjustable as usual, just that the callibration dial has to be on full or theres no flow. Im content with that if it causes no problem. Seems to be fine.

Im off now, my library time is up so will catch up tomorrow  :1f44d:

Yes the flow is adjustable as usual, just that the callibration dial has to be on full or theres no flow. Im content with that if it causes no problem. Seems to be fine.

Im off now, my library time is up so will catch up tomorrow  :1f44d:
HI KS

Can you tell me what controller it is your using is it a williamson VSP6 (for example) The Williamson have to have the pressure switch bypassed and then have calibration setting of a to E. Also would be interesting to know what flow rate you are running.

A Spring manufactured analogue can work with the pressure switch connected or bypassed, Calibration would not usually be effected by this. Have you a picture of the bypass as this may help

HI KS

Can you tell me what controller it is your using is it a williamson VSP6 (for example) The Williamson have to have the pressure switch bypassed and then have calibration setting of a to E. Also would be interesting to know what flow rate you are running.

A Spring manufactured analogue can work with the pressure switch connected or bypassed, Calibration would not usually be effected by this. Have you a picture of the bypass as this may help
Hi Ian, thanks for replying.

the make is easy, from wintecs and Im fairly sure its the same as the spring ones. I have the flow just over half power usually although im able to have it at any flow rate.

Ah thats good, so I shouldnt need to calibrate? Just wondered if I did need to how to do it if the water only flows with the calibrate dial being fully turned? to be honest I havent found the need to calibrate it as yet.

will try and sort out a pic but not straightforward as it often wont upload from my digital camera, and im also on the llibrary pc as am waiting to get my monitor sorted on home pc. (dont have smart phone with camera)

The picture would show that I have both the red wires that were going into the pressure switch, instead being crimped together, hope this helps?

Thanks for help.

HI KS

yes that the V11 analogue manufactured by Spring. Thinking on the pressure switch bypass The red +12v runs from the pump motor to the pressure switch and back down. To bypass the Red cable from the motor end are crimped withteh leads to teh pressure switch being loose as in the image attached.

Even with the PS bypassed the controller will continue to carry out a test to ensure the pump motor is in connected. So if having bypassed the pressure switch the PS LED lights it will be due to an electrical issue.

Calibration on the analogue would not be effected by the bypass as we are looking at something different to detect dead end. Cal setting as with the digital controllers will vary according to the flow rate used. As a general rule the high the flow rate the higher cal will need to be. For most flow rates the cal will be set to a little over 1/2 way to the left. between 12 & 2 position 

This video link may be of help

PS bypass.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ian Sheppard said:

HI KS

yes that the V11 analogue manufactured by Spring. Thinking on the pressure switch bypass The red +12v runs from the pump motor to the pressure switch and back down. To bypass the Red cable from the motor end are crimped withteh leads to teh pressure switch being loose as in the image attached.

Even with the PS bypassed the controller will continue to carry out a test to ensure the pump motor is in connected. So if having bypassed the pressure switch the PS LED lights it will be due to an electrical issue.

Calibration on the analogue would not be effected by the bypass as we are looking at something different to detect dead end. Cal setting as with the digital controllers will vary according to the flow rate used. As a general rule the high the flow rate the higher cal will need to be. For most flow rates the cal will be set to a little over 1/2 way to the left. between 12 & 2 position 

This video link may be of help

I see. Im a bit confused though. So would you say then that I neednt join the two red wires together? I mean the two that usually go into the pressure switch. I did it as thats what I saw on a video of someone by passing the pressure switch. Should I just have them loose but covered/secured kind of thing? I wonder if its harmful having it how I have with them joined together. Like I say, all it seems to mean is that the calibrate dial has to be on full to get the flow, but then the flow rate is adjustable as usual.

Many thanks for assistance, im not the greatest at these things lol.

No worries. with a pressure switch bypass the red cable comes out of the motor to the pressure switch then back again toteh motor to make the circuit. With  cut the red above 1/2 way between the base of the pump and pressure switch. then crimp together the two reds that run back to the pump.

With Cal if you tend to run high flow rates then cal will also be set higher. This is Ok as cal on each system will be different. Cal is separate  to the PS bypass.

Cal value can be effected by, ID of the hoses, How much hose is run out, Flow rates, Pump, and even air temperature.

As long as the controller dead ends the pump when flow is stopped its OK.

No worries. with a pressure switch bypass the red cable comes out of the motor to the pressure switch then back again toteh motor to make the circuit. With  cut the red above 1/2 way between the base of the pump and pressure switch. then crimp together the two reds that run back to the pump.

With Cal if you tend to run high flow rates then cal will also be set higher. This is Ok as cal on each system will be different. Cal is separate  to the PS bypass.

Cal value can be effected by, ID of the hoses, How much hose is run out, Flow rates, Pump, and even air temperature.

As long as the controller dead ends the pump when flow is stopped its OK.
Will show the pics of what we did. managed to downsize them. 

you can see we took the connectors right out of the switch and cut the spade bits off and rejoined them. Hope I havent messed it up?

DSC01263.JPG

DSC01264.JPG

Bypass looks ok. There would have been a red with a end disconnected that would have gone into the pump pressure switch, then back out again to the pump motor. To bypass the cable that runs from the pressure switch to the pump motor would have been disconnected at the pressure switch end then connect direct to the brown from the controller

Hi there, sorry for resurrecting such an old thread!
I need to bypass the pressure switch on one of my pumps and want to double check as I can't quite get my head around the instructions above. Is it just a case of removing the 2 red wires in the picture below A&B and connecting them together?
Cheers
Max

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 11.19.48.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 11.19.48.png
    403.8 KB · Views: 7
I need to bypass the pressure switch on one of my pumps and want to double check as I can't quite get my head around the instructions above. Is it just a case of removing the 2 red wires in the picture below A&B and connecting them together?
Cheers
Max
I cant even remember now why I even had to do it. All I know is it still works fine. To be safe I'd watch some utube vids on this which I reckon will still be online.

Cheers
Max
Yes connect the 2 wires you have labelled A&B together. If you have a decent controller it will be fine. Make sure you set your dead end or you could damage, pump or controller as you have no shut off for when you disconnect hose or shut off flow with tap or univalve.

Yes connect the 2 wires you have labelled A&B together. If you have a decent controller it will be fine. Make sure you set your dead end or you could damage, pump or controller as you have no shut off for when you disconnect hose or shut off flow with tap or univalve.
Nice one cheers. I've got a v16 controller which I always set the DE on but today for some reason the PS is causing issues and the pump only works when the connectors are held in the correct position so going to bypass it completely.

Nice one cheers. I've got a v16 controller which I always set the DE on but today for some reason the PS is causing issues and the pump only works when the connectors are held in the correct position so going to bypass it completely.
I assume you have tried an auto calibration as maybe the water temp has risen changing things a bit, so a recal might be in order?

If the pump doesn't start to run and the controller reads DE then the pressure switch most likely isn't working any longer @Mx19 . As Ian Sheppard mentioned in the thread earlier, when fitting a Varistream controller, the instructions were to bypass the pressure switch from the circuit when fitting them. We have run Varistreams for close on 17 years without the Shurflo pump's pressure switch connected.

Back