Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which gloves to choose?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dirty dan

So I was using these unger gloves, (in the picture), they feel great to use but they don’t last long, now Window Cleaning warehouse has stopped stocking them and I’m looking for an alternative.

as long as they are thin without lining, dont mind my hands getting wet so they don’t have to really be waterproof and they need to fit fat hands so does anyone recommend a replacement I could try? Thanks

E2F376FE-8DF1-4E48-BD70-0E442BCD80CC.jpeg

Very good glove, used all last winter will get another pair this year.

Great for WFP don't do enough trad to say how well they perform at that

But keep you dry and warm

265905F9-7AD3-4C1F-A537-5F29FDEA80D6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 17887
I second these for WFP during winter, but will add for nicer weather get a pair of 281 as they are identical but not lined inside so can be used even on very hot days.  Just mind not pinching them when dropping the hose down as this will ruin them quickly!

Showa 282 - are great gloves for the winter. I used them last year, what ruined mine was putting them in the washing machine. My hands sweated in them and they did need washing all the time, eventually the fleece lining came away from the fingers and would not go back into place.

I still used them for pressure washing as I cut the fleece lining out in the summer.

In the end the part between thumb and forefinger, basically where you hold the pole a hole appeared. Its a shame they are not reinforced there like Showa 341 which I currently use. 341 are ok in the summer but you have to be careful not to get the top side wet.

I tried Showa 306, ok but when you wash them the blue part of the glove becomes very sticky and hands sweat a lot in them. Anyone seen any good deals for 282? £20 they cost me last time XL

Maybe a cheaper alternative -

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-7350-insulated-nitrile-chemical-resistant-gloves.html

View attachment 17887
Where can I get a pair of these please? I’ve looked and there’s different varieties, is there a specific name for them ones. I need to find some gloves that will keep my hands warm and dry, as I think I may have arthritis in my wrist.. 

Where can I get a pair of these please? I’ve looked and there’s different varieties, is there a specific name for them ones. I need to find some gloves that will keep my hands warm and dry, as I think I may have arthritis in my wrist.. 
Showa 282 is what you're searching for. If you've got little hands (Medium) someone is selling them for £10 on eBay. Those of us who don't have girls hands have to pay £20 however. Got mine from Gardiners. Unless you're ordering anything else eBay would be cheaper after the cost of postage.

Make sure you order the correct size though.
Don't tell me, you ordered the medium like a skin flint and found out the hard way?

Dirty,

If you're looking for something that will last the season...my 'elusive glove search' has been meant I've tried lots of different sets - they all look good but often rip/tear/wear easily...Have been looking for hard wearing leather gloves which are waterproof - thought that would be the ideal combo - found these a few weeks back - Go outdoors (link below) 

They are £19.50 WATERPROOF, LEATHER PALM no patches to get ripped on the pole clamps...when I visited they we're doing 50% off all sealskin products  - so cleared the store of all the X-Large's they had!!  I've had a couple of sealskins gloves before but they eventually tore along/seams etc but these subtly different design & material (crucially leather palm) - not super warm (but then I have extreme weather cold gloves that are also waterproof ready when it's thick and even...) 

Couple of weeks in they are best I've had so far, inners don't come out when you remove your hand, get on/off easy/little to get caught and tear 100% waterproof - leather staying supple - good grip and touch what's not to like

go_252847_a

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895036/sealskinz-all-season-glove-15895036/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=2755fba0-7dfe-46a9-bfd0-09b37aed8b93&istItemId=wapiwwwwm&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_q7lw7jC5QIVgcjeCh36TwG9EAQYBSABEgLLOvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Im amazed how many people wear gloves, i’ve been through 5 winters wearing none. I wear bog standard builders gloves for gutter jobs if using a harris pole but in general for window cleaning i find gloves get in the way too much so just go bare skin

Im amazed how many people wear gloves, i’ve been through 5 winters wearing none. I wear bog standard builders gloves for gutter jobs if using a harris pole but in general for window cleaning i find gloves get in the way too much so just go bare skin
I didn't wear any for years but after doing a 5 hour job in snow and NE winds I bought the Showa 282's. Doddle to open the clamps and would say you only lose about 10% feeling. 

I didn't wear any for years but after doing a 5 hour job in snow and NE winds I bought the Showa 282's. Doddle to open the clamps and would say you only lose about 10% feeling. 
You wouldn’t catch me cleaning in that sort of weather ?

Wind chills a killer though. The days i’m out where its hovering just above zero but then the wind starts blowing makes it feel more like -5 on the hands. I still dont bother though lol. If it gets to the point i need gloves its time for me to go inside ?

I know when ive made the wrong decision as ice forms on the windows as soon as i start cleaning ?

only ever returned to base on 2 or 3 days due to it being colder than expected. I try and judge it right before bothering to leave the house but you cant get it right every time

I bought the 282's about 3 weeks ago and so far, so good. 

Hopefully they'll keep my hands nice and warm throughout the cold months!

Wezza,

Good to know they've been road tested and are good option...I'm probably too clumsy and always seem to 'catch' gloves with a PU coating or they tear in the thumb/forefinger 'V' - clearing gutters (unblocking swan necks etc) often results in me snagging them on the leading edge of tiles which often slices right through the knuckles.

Back