Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Production Dropped after fitting booster pump

Daniel Mc

Evening all,

Just had a friend of mine call me in a panic and I was left scratching my head so thought best to ask all of you!

He has added a booster pump to his RO system which has led to a decrease in pure water production!

He was running water through his membrane 90% pure 10% waste which I told him wouldn’t have done his membrane any good-on that though he was getting around 60-70l pure per hour, now since adding the booster it’s half that.  

Any ideas?

I have an off the shelf system not a DIY one so not sure how to help him!

Evening all,

Just had a friend of mine call me in a panic and I was left scratching my head so thought best to ask all of you!

He has added a booster pump to his RO system which has led to a decrease in pure water production!

He was running water through his membrane 90% pure 10% waste which I told him wouldn’t have done his membrane any good-on that though he was getting around 60-70l pure per hour, now since adding the booster it’s half that.  

Any ideas?

I have an off the shelf system not a DIY one so not sure how to help him!
 The booster pump should always increase production but Im not much of an expert, I guess a lot depends on his set up. But if hes been running his system at 90% pure and 10% waste for any length of time then Im fairly sure his ro membrane will be knackered. This could well account for his reduced production, but also id have thought he would've noticed the tds going up after ro and pre di. 

As above and also could have the wrong booster pump.How many litres per minute is the booster pump and what membrane?

He is running a HID 4040 membrane think it’s made by Vyair?! 

the booster pump is a Nocchi Pentair Jetinox 45/43.

Tap water is 315

post membrane is 15-17

producing 60 lph pure 90lph waste

(hes dialled back production from 90/10

image.jpg

image.jpg

Membrane PSI rating from what I’ve seen says 225 PSI. That is one mega booster pump required for that. He needs to go back to Vyair to resolve. Not fit for window cleaning.

I think the answer is also in the HID membrane.
They will call it a low pressure membrane. False advertising 

Membrane PSI rating from what I’ve seen says 225 PSI. That is one mega booster pump required for that. He needs to go back to Vyair to resolve. Not fit for window cleaning.

They will call it a low pressure membrane. False advertising 
Its is low pressure when you compare it with an r/o water maker they fit to sailing yachts to desalinate sea water for drinking onboard. They run at around 500 to 600psi.

Thanks guys for your help.

So the membrane not really fit for window cleaning.... what about the pump? If he got a new membrane which would you suggest is best?

I have personally had an Axeon HF5 and currently have Spectrum Extra Low Pressure, both of which have been fine.

Your thoughts?

Can’t really see from the photos but is the tap for the waste water coming out of a centre hole in the end cap ?????
The photo does look like it, but the pure is coming from the centre and the waste from the outside-just a funny optical illusion! 

Thanks all for you help, it had me scratching my head- I hate not being able to help a mate out but this flummoxed me!

The photo does look like it, but the pure is coming from the centre and the waste from the outside-just a funny optical illusion! 

Thanks all for you help, it had me scratching my head- I hate not being able to help a mate out but this flummoxed me!

Sorry for asking but why would you have a ball valve on the pure side? It sure looks like the ball valve is on the center port.

On my 4040 the centre port has a open fitting with a hose on it straight to storage via a di vessel.

The waste has the ball valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for asking but why would you have a ball valve on the pure side? It sure looks like the ball valve is on the center port.

On my 4040 the centre port has a open fitting with a hose on it straight to storage via a di vessel.

The waste has the ball valve.
Hi spruce,

Sorry it’s not my system so had to double check.  It is just an optical illusion. The waste is the one that you can see with the valve and is on the outside of the membrane.  The pure behind it is the one coming from the centre. Just the way the photo was taken.

Latest Posts

Back